So I picked up Durance again, this time with the intention of reading carefully through his dialog and fully understand what he's all about.

Well, call me thick—I just can't make out most of what he says already from the start.

It is not clear to me what he wants from the protagonist, and what he wants from life in general. I get he hates a lot of people, places, and things (the list includes Magran's enemies, Magran's allies, Magran herself, Raedceras, the Aedyr Empire, Watchers, Ciphers, Animancers, Wizards, the Eothasians...) but I don't get what he actually likes. Is there anything he stands for? If yes, what is it? If not, why does he even bother joining the protagonist?

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Durance to me represents people who are angry at themselves, at life and have lost the capacity to cope, to find that Second Chance.  He was betrayed by his god and thus his life has no meaning.  He is "The Angry One".  Why join with the protagonist?  Not sure but maybe he hopes to either find some meaning through another or maybe just to have someone to vent with and against.

• Like 2

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

He wants the Watcher's sight and insight to see if he can figure out what is wrong with his relationship with Magran. And he is too proud to tell you because it would be admitting that he is lost and needs help, something he probably can't admit even to himself. So he joins to "judge" you. Yeah, not really.

Edited by srlapo
  • Like 2

I actually thought he was going to turn out to be Thaos at one point when he said he was going to judge you. 

I liked his character/storyline as he was a religious fanatic who had done terrible things in the name of his faith and now questioned everything he believed in. His ending was sad but in a way, not unexpected. He was a deeply damaged soul that in his own eyes, was unredeemable.

• Like 2

I liked his character/storyline as he was a religious fanatic who had done terrible things in the name of his faith and now questioned everything he believed in. His ending was sad but in a way, not unexpected. He was a deeply damaged soul that in his own eyes, was unredeemable.

I take it you got the bad ending for him. In the end it isn't about redemption, it is about personal insight.

Edited by srlapo

So I picked up Durance again, this time with the intention of reading carefully through his dialog and fully understand what he's all about.

Well, call me thick—I just can't make out most of what he says already from the start.

It is not clear to me what he wants from the protagonist, and what he wants from life in general. I get he hates a lot of people, places, and things (the list includes Magran's enemies, Magran's allies, Magran herself, Raedceras, the Aedyr Empire, Watchers, Ciphers, Animancers, Wizards, the Eothasians...) but I don't get what he actually likes. Is there anything he stands for? If yes, what is it? If not, why does he even bother joining the protagonist?

People who appear to hate everything: what they actually hate is themselves.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!