Hi, I was wondering if anyone has written a guide, or can quickly list links to the benefits of each Defiance Bay faction, including:

1) Vendors and items they sell

2) Quest rewards

3) Talents

4) Any other perks I don't even know about

I realize this is not a quick set of questions to answer, so if it's already been answered, a link would be great. Thanks!

1) All three have nice vendors and there is no reason not to unlock all three by doing the first quest for each faction. 

Crucible knights have a nice heavy armor set, a very good estoc, and the Shod in Faith Boots.

Dozens have some really useful accessories which grant extra abilities or stats. 

Domeenals have stealth boots for a rogue and a cape of +3 Dex along with some exceptional firearms. 

For the Doemenal merchant (Bianca) there are three ways you can access her. Either via getting the letter in Copperlane about the robbery, siding with the Doemenals in the Ondra's Gift delivery quest from the warehouse, or via the Supply and demand quest if you choose to try and lower the price of bitter squash seeds.

2. Completing the last quest for each faction gives you a weapon. 

Crucible knights is a really bad sword called Shame or Glory: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Sword

Dozens is a very nice bow called Cloudpiercer (best warbow in game imo, tied with Borresaine for me): http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/War_bow

Doemenals gives you 20 000gold or Misery's End: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Stiletto

3.  Talents only apply to the main character

Crucible knights give you +2 DT when wearing armour which is really nice for a tank

Dozens give you +5 Accuracy when attacking the same target as an ally which helps most classes

Doemenals give you +30% crit damage which is ideal for a crit rogue. 

Edited by Omnicron
  • Like 3

6ej155.jpg

Was going to type something rather long but I see Omnicron has already covered it :)

I do think the vendors fit the faction's specialty/theme pretty well, exceptional heavy armor for Knights, exceptional bows for Dozens exceptional firearms and roguish gear for Doemenels.

As for which faction should be chosen, roleplaying reasons aside (doubtless every faction has its own flaws but I think most goodie do-gooders would probably default to the Knights  :p ), it largely depends on your class/role. Have a look at some previous discussion: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/79566-3-factions-question/

Finally, here's the testing for peddroelm's correction. And thanks for testing  :)

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78474-the-merciless-hand-talent-doemenels-broken/

P/S - Didn't know the Doemenels gave a choice of 20k instead of the dagger (I went for the Dozens during my playthrough, Doemenels were a bit too mafia-ish for my taste). Hmm, seriously could probably make another better weapon with the copper by crafting... not to say money is scarce in the game of course...

Edited by Drath

the dozens lets you kill your rival group which nets you some exceptional leather and some goodies,  the knights gift you some good plate armor.   House whatever lets you kill a number of NPCs as well but I forget if you get anything good.

There are minor things.... you can hire NPC defenders from the factions at your keep after making nice with them. 

Make the wrong faction angry and you will have to fight them at random times.

Thanks all, those are some very useful details and links. BTW what type of weapon is Firebrand (sword, great sword, saber, etc), and what kinds of builds would it be best with?

PS Omicron, your first link takes you somewhere very different from what it says :p.

PS Omicron, your first link takes you somewhere very different from what it says :p.

LOL, yes I saw that probably at the same time you were still writing you post. Laughed out loud for a few minutes and corrected it. I was obviously doing too many things at the same time :p thanks :)

• Like 1

6ej155.jpg

P/S - Didn't know the Doemenels gave a choice of 20k instead of the dagger (I went for the Dozens during my playthrough, Doemenels were a bit too mafia-ish for my taste). Hmm, seriously could probably make another better weapon with the copper by crafting... not to say money is scarce in the game of course...

The Doemenels offer three choices. Money, weapon or favor. I don't know what the favor option is all about, since I see no opportunity to call it in. If you do their quests, they get you the invite to the meeting in any case. The weapon, at least in my opinion, is less than impressive. I had better at the time in question. So, third time round, I went with the money, since it's a tidy little sum and offers the possibiity to buy or enchant stuff you really need.

If anyone can riddle me the favor option, I would be grateful.

Btw, I don't think you can trade with the Doemenel mother unless you've taken care of her personal little quest.

1) All three have nice vendors and there is no reason not to unlock all three by doing the first quest for each faction. 

Crucible knights have a nice heavy armor set, a very good estoc, and the Shod in Faith Boots.

Dozens have some really useful accessories which grant extra abilities or stats. 

Domeenals have stealth boots for a rogue and a cape of +3 Dex along with some exceptional firearms. 

For the Doemenal merchant (Bianca) there are three ways you can access her. Either via getting the letter in Copperlane about the robbery, siding with the Doemenals in the Ondra's Gift delivery quest from the warehouse, or via the Supply and demand quest if you choose to try and lower the price of bitter squash seeds.

Crucible knights is a really bad sword called Shame or Glory: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Sword

Dozens is a very nice bow called Cloudpiercer (best warbow in game imo, tied with Borresaine for me): http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/War_bow

Doemenals gives you 20 000gold or Misery's End: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Stiletto

Crucible knights give you +2 DT when wearing armour which is really nice for a tank

Dozens give you +5 Accuracy when attacking the same target as an ally which helps most classes

Another option is to:

1) initially side with the Crucible Knights, gain the store

2) help the Doems briefly, to access items

3) complete the Crucible Knights tasks (gain the main rewards), forever forging your alliance and alienating you from all other factions

4) stroll into the Dozens, kill everyone, and take Cloudpiercer... while selling another 3-4k in stock armor/weapons

5) visit the Doems, slay everyone, and sell the spoils of battle for another 10-12k 

Yes, this requires you being "cruel" and suffering a hit to your reputation, but nothing is more satisfying than wiping the smugness off of the Doems' faces and eradicating all occupants within the Dozens' own guildhall.  My favorite raid is to go door-to-door in Brackenbury and lay waste to the two noble houses (Doems and their neighbors), followed by the Hall of Wonders (start the quest first)...  property is a bargain in that district.

Quite often I depart Defiance Bay and the city has a population of zero (or close to it... unfortunately you can't kill the people in the court proceedings). Then again, my evil party leaves most villages and towns with a population of zero.  

Anyway, a decent rule of thumb for an evil party is, "help strangers just enough to get what you need, then kill them and take the rest."   I give Obsidian credit for leaving most items on the NPCs... so if you grow tired of a quest, you can still walk away with a prize or two.

• Like 2
  • Gasp! 1

The Doemenels offer three choices. Money, weapon or favor. I don't know what the favor option is all about, since I see no opportunity to call it in. If you do their quests, they get you the invite to the meeting in any case. The weapon, at least in my opinion, is less than impressive. I had better at the time in question. So, third time round, I went with the money, since it's a tidy little sum and offers the possibiity to buy or enchant stuff you really need.

Googled a bit and came up with:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/what-faction-should-i-choose-in-pillars-of-eternity

Seems like the favor part might be opting for more Stronghold protection. Doesn't really appeal to me but YMMV. As for Misery's End, I agree that while its fairly decent, you may have equal or better 1-handed weapons at that stage. My party doesn't really have a lot of people using 1-handers for dps and I already had Ravenwing and Resolution at that stage, amongst others.

Didn't notice any option for money or favor for Dozens during my playthrough (supported by the above linked article). Cloudpiercer with its Jolting Touch proc is a really nice weapon though, especially in view of a lack of unique Warbow drops in the early game (for me at least). Ordinarily you might not be getting a whole lot of crits, but once an opponent is Paralyzed (from say Mental Binding or other means), chances go up very significantly.

• Like 1

Googled a bit and came up with:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/what-faction-should-i-choose-in-pillars-of-eternity

Seems like the favor part might be opting for more Stronghold protection. Doesn't really appeal to me but YMMV. As for Misery's End, I agree that while its fairly decent, you may have equal or better 1-handed weapons at that stage. My party doesn't really have a lot of people using 1-handers for dps and I already had Ravenwing and Resolution at that stage, amongst others.

Didn't notice any option for money or favor for Dozens during my playthrough (supported by the above linked article). Cloudpiercer with its Jolting Touch proc is a really nice weapon though, especially in view of a lack of unique Warbow drops in the early game (for me at least). Ordinarily you might not be getting a whole lot of crits, but once an opponent is Paralyzed (from say Mental Binding or other means), chances go up very significantly.

Yeah, that stiletto, Misery's End, is not all that great.  Would have been nicer if it was a Superb stiletto.  Its Vicious effect could be useful for a melee rogue, since it should synergize well with sneak attacks.  If instead of the Accurate +3 effect, it had a full Superb effect (+12 acc and x1.45 damage) to go along with the Vicious effect, it'd be better.  But in the end, it's still just a stiletto, and it doesn't seem worth it to upgrade it to Superb unless one really gets off on playing sneak attacking melee rogues using "traditional" thief weapons.

Doemenals gives you 20 000gold or Misery's Endhttp://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Stiletto

Dang!  20k gold or the Misery's End stiletto?  That's easy!  Take the money and run!

As for the Crucible Knights reward sword, yeah, it's extremely lackluster.  Of all the 3 reward weapons the factions give, the Cloudpiercer warbow is far and away the best of the three, particularly since it's probably the best warbow in the game. 

I'm not even sure that the Superb warbow, Rain of (something) Field, would be better even if its Speed mod actually worked!  The Rain Warbow doesn't have any other special effects on it other than the currently non-functional Speed mod, so it might as well be a generic warbow.

Honestly, though, it'd be nice if in an upcoming patch if the devs would have the reward items of the Knights and the Doemenels be more competitively balanced in comparison to the Dozens' reward weapon, Cloudpiercer.   (Of course, I suppose I should be careful what I wish for since they could "fix" the balance by making the Dozens' reward weapon weaker, etc.)  Still, it'd be nice if the Knights' reward sword was better and the Doemenels' reward weapon was better.  (And I'm not even sure if making Misery's End into a Superb stiletto would be enough to do this, since it'd still just be a stiletto.)

The thing is that the Doemenals' quests are easy to do with a low level party or even solo. Money is not scarce, but it helps you to get a lot of money easily right at the start of ACT II and allows you to buy a number of useful accessories or about two really strong weapons which sets you up nicely for other quests :)

• Like 1

6ej155.jpg

Honestly, though, it'd be nice if in an upcoming patch if the devs would have the reward items of the Knights and the Doemenels be more competitively balanced in comparison to the Dozens' reward weapon, Cloudpiercer.   (Of course, I suppose I should be careful what I wish for since they could "fix" the balance by making the Dozens' reward weapon weaker, etc.)  Still, it'd be nice if the Knights' reward sword was better and the Doemenels' reward weapon was better.  (And I'm not even sure if making Misery's End into a Superb stiletto would be enough to do this, since it'd still just be a stiletto.)

Apart from the items, I think you also need to consider the talents each faction gives, before tweaking.

The Knight talent is obviously geared towards a tank or a tankish main character. A tank won't need say the extra crit multiplier from Doemenels, by comparison.

As for the sword, it isn't impressive mostly because getting Valiant to activate requires going below 50% Endurance. While it would be good for dps characters if it activated, personally I'd really prefer not getting them hit in the first place. The sword could be equipped on a tank, which probably might increase the chance of activating Valiant. But if your tank is clad in plate (fairly typical) and suffers considerable recovery penalties, I find it doubtful that the added damage would be significant. I suppose if you keep on playing with characters at Critical Fatigue, you could get Valiant to activate pretty often, offsetting the Accuracy penalties.

The Dozens talent is fairly useful for most classes and getting it to activate shouldn't be hard in battles, unless you're soloing or going with a limited party. Its at its best when operating at the +0 to +10 (Accuracy - enemy Deflection) range, where you're effectively converting misses to crits. Its also strong at lower ranges where you really need to land that hit to overcome DR. At higher accuracy where you're only converting grazes to crits, it doesn't have that much of an impact, especially with enough positive damage modifiers that your grazes inflict significant damage.

The bow as praised by quite a few people, is a great weapon no doubt and good to have for ranged combatants, of which most balanced parties will have some.

Finally the Doemenels. The value of +0.25 crit multiplier (or +0.3 if the devs ever get to correcting it in a future patch) really depends on how often you crit. This is rather difficult to assess as the enemy Deflection tends to vary quite greatly over different mobs. This is further compounded by PotD having higher values and also with various buffs and debuffs (Paralyze, Sky Dragon's Terrifying aura, etc) coming into play. I haven't really run any figures but my gut instinct would be that this talent might be a little better for crit-focussed Rogues. For other dpsers, I'd probably stick with +5 Accuracy from Dozens, if playing on PotD.

Edited by Drath
  • Like 1