Is there any way to avoid slaughtering Gilded Vale drunks?

I've tried several different responses to the drunks who are fighting with Aloth outside the inn in Gilded Vale and every time it ends with me having to murder a bunch of villagers as my very first act in the town. I'd just like to know if there is actually a way to resolve this standoff in a peaceful manner so Aloth doesn't have to tell me his life story over a bunch of gibbed corpses. I'd appreciate it if anyone could help save me a few reloads here. Thanks. :)

A little offtopic but sometimes I think if you wanna play this game for dialogue options, a tank PC might be a good idea. Go high on Resolve, a good deal of Perception, some Int as well. Don't really need Might or Dex that much for a tank. A good number of the Might choices just earn Aggressive rep and for physical stuff, you can probably get around it with a prybar/hammer and chisel/rope and grappling hook.

Ok maybe I'm just feeling a little sad about killing those villagers. Don't really get that many extra dialogue options with Per 12, Int 12, Res 9 (yes I dumped Resolve on my rogue because it looked too much like Charisma :p )

P/S - Then again, can't reason my way through = fight = more loot. Maybe its not so bad :p

I'm currently trying something a bit different from my play style.  A Nature Godlike, Aristocratic background Priest of Berath.  Stats are Mtg=16 Int=14 Dex=14 Res=14  I didn't dump any stats but if I did it would be Per and then raise Res t=16.   Even so I am getting some good dialogue options.  The thing with priests is that depending on the chosen deity you have favored and unflavored disposition.  Berath is favored=stoic and rational and disfavored =passionate and cruel. For some reason in PoE resolve seems to be very important for dialogue options.

Gilded Vale is a sad place, I think the saddest place in the game.  Dyrford Village has the same problem but doesn't seem as sad to me.  The people there seem stronger, more independent to me.  

• Like 1

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

The option you need is "might not want to do that" (something along those lines) then make a successful Intelligence or Might test in order to send them on their way without having to kill them. 

The Might one is basically "Because then you will have to deal with me" and is a 14 I believe. 

I always try to create a character with a high[ish] Int score for games like this as I've found it seems to count towards a number of dialogue options but also it helps with the role play element , ie; your character is smart enough to figure things out.

The option you need is "might not want to do that" (something along those lines) then make a successful Intelligence or Might test in order to send them on their way without having to kill them. 

The Might one is basically "Because then you will have to deal with me" and is a 14 I believe. 

That's why I said, there are several options. There's also one telling them that Aloth's got a hidden weapon or something like that. I don't know if it's attached to some player attribute.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the guidance. I have always felt pretty terrible about murdering these poor idiots and I will happily use metagame knowledge to avoid it.

ETA: Yeah, it is unfortunate that so many peaceful quest resolutions are tied to ultra-high Res so you'd never really be able to get them other than by playing a PC tank. Fortunately this interaction seems to be an exception.

Edited by EphemeralToast

The two most prevalent dialogue attributes seem to be resolve and perception.  There are pieces of gear you can switch to and foods you can craft that will raise both with the food items having temporary effect but stacking with the gear.  So you can run less than 15 in both those attributes.