Bash + Two-Weapon Fighting tested

I've just done some testing on shields, then searched the forums and found nothing, so I thought I'd share my results.

I've created two identical Fighters and equipped them with identical gear.

The first thing I wanted to test was whether shields applied a penalty to the wielder's recovery time. The doubt stemmed from a tip during loading screens that says they do, even though no shield mentions that in its description.

The test revealed that no penalty to recovery time results from using a shield. I had both Fighters attack the same target, one with just a sword and the other with sword and shield, and they were perfectly synchronized.

The second test was to check whether the Bash property, which effectively makes you attack with your shield as though it were a weapon in your off-hand, was affected by the two-weapon fighting talent.

To test this, I equipped both Fighters with the same Bash shield and levelled them up, choosing Two Weapon Fighting only for one of them.

The results showed that Two Weapon Fighting does NOT apply to Bash. Once again, both Fighters were perfectly synchronized.

Hope this helps.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 9

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Interesting. My assumption was that having bash weapon would slow down primary attack, due to using two weapon fighting speed times. I guess I was wrong and bash is actually pure extra bonus to weapon and board users.

Spell Fixes compilation for Neverwinter Nights 2, as well as my other submissions for this great game.

So for those pure casters who won't see much use for their ranged (or any other) weapons anyway in tough fights, there's no penalty to using 1H+Shield to boost deflection from the start. That way there's no switch recovery penalty either if something starts mauling them mid-fight and you really need that shield. Shields' accuracy penalty doesn't even affect spells, right? Or any other problems with this logic?

Switch recovery penalty would apply normally, too. So ideally I would not equip a shield on a caster.

@player1, what do you mean by "slow down primary attack"? Attacking with a weapon + bash shield is the same as attacking with two weapons, except the Two Weapon Fighting talent doesn't provide the extra 20% attack speed.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Speed of primary weapon differs when it is used alone and when it is used in combination with another weapon.

Not according to the test noted in the OP - are you disagreeing with those results?

If so by what evidence?

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Hi,

to clarify, my first test involved a character wielding a sword and nothing else vs. a character wielding a sword and a shield; the second, both characters wielding a sword and the shield Scath Gwannek (but only one of them had the Two Weapon Fighting talent.)

I did not test dual wielding vs. single weapon, which is what—I believe—player1 is referring to.

Edited by AndreaColombo