Oby, for where art thou?

Monte Carlo

LOL I was about to post this.

Not to out oby, you understand, but since it gives the troll playbook, it would presumably act as an aide memoire. :dancing:

Mods might get a kick out of reading this article.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

“When there were black people rioting in the United States we had to write that US policy on the black community had failed, Obama’s administration couldn’t cope with the problem, the situation is getting tenser. The negroes are rising up.”

Ukraine was another constant topic. “That was always about the Kiev ‘junta’, how the poor people of Donbas are being bombed, how women and children are being shot, how Nato is to blame and Blackwater has mercenaries there.”

On Syria, Bashar al-Assad, its autocratic president, was praised as a “friend of Russia”. Closer to home, the team was ordered to laud domestic products like the Armata, the Russia army’s new main battle tank...

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Reading this article, and the comments section on certain Hungarian websites, I'm now kinda paranoid my own government employs the same tactic.

But then I realize they have consistently proven to be incompetent at everything, and human stupidity knows no bounds. So I'd still assign a higher probability to the alternative theory of "no, their supporters are that dumb".

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Can I tell you guys something 100 % true ....people really believe the Russian propaganda. It feeds a certain " anti-Western " sentiment that some people need to believe

I see it in South Africa all the time...for example  " The FBI is only investigating FIFA because it doesn't want Russia to hold the 2018 WC " ....people seem to ignore the rampant corruption in FIFA and just think its about some Cold War ideological affair 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Reading this article, and the comments section on certain Hungarian websites, I'm now kinda paranoid my own government employs the same tactic.

But then I realize they have consistently proven to be incompetent at everything, and human stupidity knows no bounds. So I'd still assign a higher probability to the alternative theory of "no, their supporters are that dumb".

That is true, I doubt the current Hungarian government could implement something like this successfully. But the Russians certainly can 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

This is all anti-Western propaganda, aimed at destabilizing great Russian bear/leader Putin, who is only force that can keep Western Imperialism in check.

Oh, off-topic, but I found new employment guys...

• Like 6

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Could they subcontract?

Maybe oby could set up ... you could form an alliance, man. Make money.

-Elwood Blues

On a more serious note, paid shills exist, even on 8chan of all places as well. Ukraine-crisis? Suddenly there was numerous threads about Mossad, Nato and American sniper-assassins and whatnot being truly behind the crisis and Crimea simply answered to aggressive tactics by the west. Problem in the middle east? Suddenly there is a huge influx of pro-israel threads were people were seemingly debating with themselves.

They were later exposed due to forgotting to reset their IPs or being part of larger botnets.

Edited by Meshugger
  • Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

If you want Oby to appear you have to stare into a mirror and say his name 3 times.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Lol, you guys are getting such a hard-on for this it's almost funny to see. Also unless I missed something, is there any proof presented in the article. Well whatever floats your boat, have fun.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Denial ain't a river in Egypt.

Be kind, old boy. Sarex thought he was in there.

~

Serious question, Sarex. Why do YOU think oby's posting behaviour _precisely_ matched the pattern for Kremlin-paid trolls?

-Elwood Blues

I ain't denying that there are US/Russian paid internet trolls, but I am taking that article with a pitcher of salt.

As for Oby, the more I look at his post the more I think that he is making fun of Russia in a very subtle way, that or he is just a naive person who thinks that anyone will buy what he is selling.

every government, everywhere uses similar tactics to mind-control the citizens

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

every government, everywhere uses similar tactics to mind-control the citizens

I strongly doubt our leaders are capable of comprehending technology more complex than a football.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

07_harveydent_lgl.jpg

I am the obyknven.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

In the US we prefer to spread our propaganda the old fashioned way, through high quality movies and popular video games.   :thumbsup:

It's true. Everything I know about jacking cars, I learned from Grand Theft Auto. Thank you, United States of America!

• Like 1

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

I ain't denying that there are US/Russian paid internet trolls, but I am taking that article with a pitcher of salt.

As for Oby, the more I look at his post the more I think that he is making fun of Russia in a very subtle way, that or he is just a naive person who thinks that anyone will buy what he is selling.

I'll accept the point that the Telegraph is normally woefully short on journalistic integrity.

But if you are correct then - since oby's pattern exactly matches the pattern of a paid troll - the Kremlin is engaged in an elaborate system of self-mocking?

-Elwood Blues

But if you are correct then - since oby's pattern exactly matches the pattern of a paid troll - the Kremlin is engaged in an elaborate system of self-mocking?

Well one would then conclude that he is just a regular unpaid troll, no?

Calling oby a paid troll again? Isn't this the 5th time this has come up?

And he doesn't work on you as you are all pretty ardently pro West, does that matter ? :lol:

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

In the US we prefer to spread our propaganda the old fashioned way, through high quality movies and popular video games.   :thumbsup:

And the nightly network news don't forget. Thank you Dan Rather & George Stepanopolis

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

High quality movies?

And frankly, oby ain't a paid shill, he's just trollin' for biological waste material and giggles. Not particularly well imo, but you can't argue results and he certainly wads some people's panties. Generally though all yet another FAOusername: you're a troll lol! thread does is encourage them, if you're convinced they're a troll ignore them or Ignore them if you have no willpower, problem solved.

Edited by Zoraptor