Game play for a beginner: The health bar means nothing; One whack by an opponent and the character is unconscious or dead even if there's lots of health, as the endurance immediately goes to zero. Strange process. Counterintuitive.

How do I build up or protect endurance? Eating the food items does little.

Frustrating that whacking down opponents grants no XP. No reward, doggie is not loyal to owner/game.

Like previous poster said

Three mechanical ways to stop from getting killed.

1)Increase deflection to stop getting hit. Shield helps, the larger the better. Really is the only good way to get deflection when you start out. Be aware your accuracy goes down, the bigger the shield, so the more likely you will miss them when you attack.

2)Wear armor. If you wear any armor your damage resistance goes up, meaning it will absorb some damage and decrease your endurance at a slower rate. The heavier the armour the more damage it will absorb, however you will be slower to attack and do stuff in general.

3)drink potions eat food use scrolls. Food isn't that much help low level, helps but not great. Potions can increase deflection or dr for a little while. Scrolls can have some nice effects but you need lore.

Probably most important thing is, don't pick fights you cannot win. Don't expect to beat every encounter like you expect to in every level when you start out. You will lose. Wait until you get more party members.

And turn the difficulty down if you need to. This helps a lot.

No Xp is good in a way, as you don't have to fight every battle, lots of grinding eliminated. I like to loot though so I try to fight everything I can.

Hope this helps

Game play for a beginner: The health bar means nothing; One whack by an opponent and the character is unconscious or dead even if there's lots of health, as the endurance immediately goes to zero. Strange process. Counterintuitive.

How do I build up or protect endurance? Eating the food items does little.

Frustrating that whacking down opponents grants no XP. No reward, doggie is not loyal to owner/game.

Since you posted "Game play for a beginner" I would like to ask a couple of questions. 

1) what difficulty mode are you using?  

2) What class are you playing?

3) How many party members do you have?

I ask these because I have noticed a tendency Of people new to PoE to assume that because they have experience with modern games they can play the game game on hard or even PotD right from the start.  PoE is a game where strategy is important, where there is a lot of reading.  There are a lot of in-game hints and advice available.

The more information we have the more we can help you.  :)  

PS:  Make sure you point some points in athletics.  That increases endurance.  I put at least two levels maybe three in every party member.  This helps with not only with fighting but cuts down on fatigue from traveling.

Food may not increase endurance very much but it has a longer time span than potions so use it before you start the battle.

Edited by Nakia
  • Like 1

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Started on Nomal, moved down to lowest difficulty. Have 16 armor on Paladin, level 3. Food helps a little, potions not.

Can't get ther character to drink anything while he's fighting; he gets whacked harder.

I have one wizard companion--don't know how to get more?

I asked where to get the 1.06 patch on another thread (can't find on steam) but lost the thread. Is there a simple link?

Thanks to all!

P. S. What does it mean to say  I need two approved posts?

In terms of the wizard, if you want more than the joinable NPC, you could make your PC a wizard (of course :Cant's rueful grin icon:) Or you can also create a joinable NPC at an inn.post-787-0-10354100-1433547143_thumb.jpgpost-787-0-66091300-1433547167_thumb.jpg

Steam should autopatch the game unless you've intentionally prevented it. If you *want* to have Steam automatically update, you can select that option by... here, I'll just make some pics really fast and post them.

post-787-0-49570200-1433546635_thumb.jpgpost-787-0-62745800-1433546654_thumb.jpg

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Is there some reason you are not using the pre-made companions you can pick up in Gilded Vale, Aloth a wizard and Eder a fighter?    Eder is your defensive fighter and should be built to absorb hits.   Then use the Paladin for offense.  Aloth is pretty weak IMO to start so keep him ranged with wand or scepter.   You can also pick up Durance a priest fairly early.  Make sure he has mechanics skill.

Playing on easy should be easy for most encounters.  Use stealth to avoid encounters in the wilderness if you are having problems there.

My Act I party usually consists of my PC, Eder, Aloth, either a rogue, fighter. barbarian or monk and then Durance.  I give Eder and/or my fighter most of the endurance raising potions which last a short time.  

The above is my style of play others may be able to give you more and better advice.

nakia_banner.jpg

Playing on easy should be easy for most encounters.  Use stealth to avoid encounters in the wilderness if you are having problems there.

T'wasn't easy for me till I learned the ropes.

Most of all, I would make a distinction between ranged and melee. Keep ranged in the back and keep them in light armor, so that they get their shots off more frequently. Protect with melee. Eder, giving the right abilities, armor and shield, is pretty good at that. He doesn't have to be a damage dealer. Your ranged characters and spell casters do that just fine. He just has to keep them as safe as possible.

• Like 1

I asked where to get the 1.06 patch on another thread (can't find on steam) but lost the thread. Is there a simple link?

It was in the 1.06 update thread - there you said "I bought it through GOG" so I replied with the GOG method (only works if you've got the gog version installed - Steam will need the steam patch)

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/80035-update-106-is-live/?p=1700541

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

You need more deflection, that prevents you from getting hit normally or critically as often. There's a Fighter companion that you can recruit in Gilded Vale who comes with a unique armour to resurrects on ko.

Edited by View619
  • Like 1

You are right, abaris, I shouldn't say that Easy difficulty is easy.  My first little game after installation was to try out Easy Difficulty with all the hints and the in-game tutorial.  I played through part of Act I.   I do think that for a new player it is a good learning process.  You can disabled options if you find you don't need them and has you learn the tactics you can increase the difficulty if you want to.

Not sure what to say about auto pause.  I only use it for for seeing enemies and hidden objects.   Other wise it drives me crazy.

My own rather strong opinion of the game is that to get the most out of it you need to take your time, don't rush through it.  Read, read, read.  Pay attention to the dialogue the devs have used it to give you hints about what you should be doing.    Take the time to check your character sheets.  Bonuses on equipped items often won't tack and even are suppressed if duplicated.  When I run across one of those unique items I take the time to  check who can actually benefit from it.  

Since this a no spoiler forum I am trying to avoid out right spoilers but I wonder how many people are taking advantage of the Prologue where you enter the ruins and actually exploring those instead of rushing through them.

• Like 1

nakia_banner.jpg

Since this a no spoiler forum I am trying to avoid out right spoilers but I wonder how many people are taking advantage of the Prologue where you enter the ruins and actually exploring those instead of rushing through them.

I did on occasion. The first time I didn't. Not because I didn't want to, but because I simply missed a portion of it.

Again, what does approved posts mean?

Your first few posts on the forum must be approved by a moderator before they go 'live' and others can see them.

(It's to prevent spam and such).

You should be alright now you've had 6 posts.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Ok I have the patches--don't know how far back I should go?

Yes I have been rushing through--did not realize I could hire companions at the inn.

Again, what does approved posts mean?

Thanks again guys!

Just a quick note that personally I found the game a good deal easier once I had more party members. You can pick up Aloth and Eder in Gilded Vale and get an additional hireling (if desired) from the inn to beef up the party. You won't get another tank companion for some time so IMHO its a good idea to focus on Deflection for Eder and build up his defence via abilities and talents as much as you can (assuming your character isn't a tank and you didn't get a hireling tank from the inn). Put him in front with your best shield and armor to tie up opponents/get their attention while your other lightly armored party members do damage.

• Like 1

One quest in Gilded Vale will give you a good shield a bit unusual looking.  Give it to Eder or another front liner.  :)

nakia_banner.jpg

Yep I gave said shield to Eder. Fast way to up his Deflection. :yes:  Speaking of which, I'd have ripped a new one off the nearest house if I had known making large shields was that simple. PoE: The game where you are allowed to kill villagers but you cannot vandalize houses. :p

• Like 1

Try this:

1. Positioning your characters, battlefield control - the best defense.

When you begin, set your party out how you need them to be to win the fight. That means, positioning them on the battlefield in advantageous locations ( where they have an advantage ). This is a major part of game-play; if you have the opportunity to flank an enemy, pause it and set a command. Finally, always check the lines which tell you whether you're engaged or not before moving a character during combat - and check often whether they have disengaged or if there are better engagements.

2. Check DR stat on Armour, make sure you have equipped the right amount for each character for the role they will be playing in battle.

Edited by s13ep

King of Kings

Lord of Lords

Eder would not join me, just said Nice Day. End Dialogue.

I recruited a (beginning) tank from the inn.

Traditional tactics: lure opponents to a doorway where you can handle them one at a time.

I cannot find Reik in his castle, but I guess that question should be in the Spoiler section.