Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Disney lays off workers, makes them train their foregin replacements

Diversity Disney Capitalism

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Meshugger

Meshugger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5240 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

everythingwentbetterthanexpected.jpg

Ineth

Ineth

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 643 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Except for the foreign replacements...

From the article:

The training began, but after a few days it was suspended with no explanation. In New York, the immigrants suddenly stopped coming to the offices.

Edited by Ineth, 17 June 2015 - 02:17 AM.

• Bartimaeus likes this

Meshugger

Meshugger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5240 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Am i a horrible person for not caring about them? I don't know. But for some reason, i feel nothing when you mention them except on an intellectual level, as in "It sucks not having a job".

//edit: Wait a minute, they were taking jobs knowingly that they were being trained by the very people they would replace. Yeah, now care given. Gladly.

Edited by Meshugger, 17 June 2015 - 02:40 AM.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1764 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

Outsourcing jobs is, in my opinion, a much more multi-facted issue than a lot of people would like to believe...there are winners and losers regardless of which side you take. Then again, I think that's true about most issues in general. Are you a horrible person for not caring? That's for you to decide, I think. ;)

Edited by Bartimaeus, 17 June 2015 - 02:41 AM.

• 213374U, aluminiumtrioxid and Agiel like this

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10654 posts
In a perfect capitalist system, there will be very few companies making everything, selling it a very low prices. Problem is just, everybody will be unemployed and so, regardless of how cheap the products are, there will not be a market for their products.

(says Gorth the armchair economist)

Ineth

Ineth

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 643 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

In a perfect capitalist system, there will be very few companies making everything, selling it a very low prices. Problem is just, everybody will be unemployed and so, regardless of how cheap the products are, there will not be a market for their products.

(says Gorth the armchair economist)

I don't know what you mean by "perfect capitalist system", but I think that a perfect free-market system would likely have a much larger number of, and on average much smaller, companies than we have today - and little to no unemployment.

Mega-corporations are likely not sustainable in a perfect free market, since they function like inefficient command economies internally.

They're kept alive today by the government - directly via Fed loans, bail-outs, legally enforced monopolies, etc., and indirectly by a ridiculously oversized legal body of anti-free-market regulations that keep smaller competitors down.

(Many of those laws and regulations were actually, at least in part, written by big-business lobbyists and rubber-stamped through Congress. And yet the left loves to pretend that "big-business" and "regulations" are like ice and fire, and that to keep the corporations in check we should encourage politicians to pass even more numerous and complex regulations... :rolleyes:)

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2157 posts
H1B program has always been a complete scam, and should be cancelled. Unfortunately our entire government are a bunch of corporatists, two parties against the people.

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2157 posts
Here's another side effect of replacing Americans with foreign workers:

Some of the contractors that have helped OPM with managing internal data have had security issues of their own—including potentially giving foreign governments direct access to data long before the recent reported breaches. A consultant who did some work with a company contracted by OPM to manage personnel records for a number of agencies told Ars that he found the Unix systems administrator for the project "was in Argentina and his co-worker was physically located in the [People's Republic of China]. Both had direct access to every row of data in every database: they were root. Another team that worked with these databases had at its head two team members with PRC passports. I know that because I challenged them personally and revoked their privileges. From my perspective, OPM compromised this information more than three years ago and my take on the current breach is 'so what's new?'"

http://arstechnica.c...s-dhs-official/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Diversity, Disney, Capitalism

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users