Disney lays off workers, makes them train their foregin replacements

I am familiar with H-1B visa.  Based on what I read in the article, Disney has blatantly abused H-1B visa and violated the terms for H-1B visa, (so are many American companies; a lot of Silicon Valley and tech companies actually abuse H-1B.)

Companies can hire people on H-1B only if they have been unable to find any American who has the suitable skills to do the jobs.   H-1B is NOT for companies to import cheap foreign workers to replace Americans so those companies can save labor costs.   H-1B is meant for "specialty occupations", which are difficult to find people with suitable skills to fill.   Companies that petitions for prospective H-1B employees must prove that they have tried, unsuccessfully, to find suitable Americans who can do the jobs.  That is the main stipulation of H-1B visa.

In addition, a company that petitions to hire a H-1B worker must show to the USCIS (formerly the INS)  that they will pay the foreign worker a wage level that is comparable or  equivalent to what an American worker with similar skills in similar job earns.  That means the company cannot use H-1B as a route to hire a cheaper foreign worker as the replacement for an American worker.  That is another basic stipulation of the H-1B visa.

I know H-1B. So I know Disney or the Indian outsourcing firm must have violated the terms of H-1B to bring in those foreign workers.  Disney or the Indian outsourcing firm must have lied on the petitions to bring in those people.  (I believe the Indian outsourcing company is one of those shady "body shops" - ask me if you want to know what that is.)  I am surprised that the USCIS has not intervened and pulled all those H-1B's.

Edited by ktchong
  • Like 1

Disney spends vast sums managing its image. You take your kids to Disney movies because they are Disney movies, not just talking teapot movies.

Getting angry about their treatment of employees isn't 'anti-capitalism'. It _is_ capitalism.

Let the gloss fall off the brand, let them know. They will fire the **** out of the manager who ordered this.

• Like 4

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

One american raised, educated worker is worth about two-three techies from India.  You get what you pay for.   

Before someone calls me racist.

One indian-american raised person is worth about two-three techies who were born and raised in India. You get what you pay for.

These decisions to replace local tech workers with cheap foreign labor tend to be reversed a couple years later when the "talent" turns out to lack the advertised skills and project managers start getting fired for missed deadlines.

It used to happen a lot in the early 2000's, nothing new here.

This exactly, I've seen it happen many times.

I'm not politically savvy, but I think you can report your dislike of H1B visa workers replacing hard working americans by telling your congressman.

http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

Then enter your zip code, you may need to enter the+4 zip code extension as well.  The results are on the left hand side. Each rep has their own website with a means of contacting them and telling them your concerns.

The OP could also provide this information in his OP.

Edited by luzarius

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

Er... making a judgement based solely on race?

I don't NEED to call you racist.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

In any case, if you fellahs need theme park, we got theme park.

_83609217_027672106-1.jpg

-Elwood Blues

And one of the Queen's guards gave a little girl a smack in the chops when saluting too enthusiastically too. Having someone be mildly rude to you at EuroDisney for being un bifsteak or le yank pales in comparison to crashing a rollercoaster or being beaten up by a Beefeater/ Yeoman Guard/ Horse Guard/ Household Guard.

Disney spends vast sums managing its image. You take your kids to Disney movies because they are Disney movies, not just talking teapot movies.

Getting angry about their treatment of employees isn't 'anti-capitalism'. It _is_ capitalism.

Let the gloss fall off the brand, let them know. They will fire the **** out of the manager who ordered this.

I was going to see Le Petit Prince instead of Inside Out anyways.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

"In Turnabout, Disney Cancels Tech Worker Layoffs"

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/17/us/in-turnabout-disney-cancels-tech-worker-layoffs.html

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

everythingwentbetterthanexpected.jpg

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Except for the foreign replacements...

From the article:

The training began, but after a few days it was suspended with no explanation. In New York, the immigrants suddenly stopped coming to the offices.
Edited by Ineth
  • Like 1

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Am i a horrible person for not caring about them? I don't know. But for some reason, i feel nothing when you mention them except on an intellectual level, as in "It sucks not having a job".

//edit: Wait a minute, they were taking jobs knowingly that they were being trained by the very people they would replace. Yeah, now care given. Gladly.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Outsourcing jobs is, in my opinion, a much more multi-facted issue than a lot of people would like to believe...there are winners and losers regardless of which side you take. Then again, I think that's true about most issues in general. Are you a horrible person for not caring? That's for you to decide, I think. ;)

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 3

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

In a perfect capitalist system, there will be very few companies making everything, selling it a very low prices. Problem is just, everybody will be unemployed and so, regardless of how cheap the products are, there will not be a market for their products.

(says Gorth the armchair economist)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

In a perfect capitalist system, there will be very few companies making everything, selling it a very low prices. Problem is just, everybody will be unemployed and so, regardless of how cheap the products are, there will not be a market for their products.

(says Gorth the armchair economist)

I don't know what you mean by "perfect capitalist system", but I think that a perfect free-market system would likely have a much larger number of, and on average much smaller, companies than we have today - and little to no unemployment.

Mega-corporations are likely not sustainable in a perfect free market, since they function like inefficient command economies internally.

They're kept alive today by the government - directly via Fed loans, bail-outs, legally enforced monopolies, etc., and indirectly by a ridiculously oversized legal body of anti-free-market regulations that keep smaller competitors down.

(Many of those laws and regulations were actually, at least in part, written by big-business lobbyists and rubber-stamped through Congress. And yet the left loves to pretend that "big-business" and "regulations" are like ice and fire, and that to keep the corporations in check we should encourage politicians to pass even more numerous and complex regulations... :rolleyes:)

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

H1B program has always been a complete scam, and should be cancelled. Unfortunately our entire government are a bunch of corporatists, two parties against the people.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Here's another side effect of replacing Americans with foreign workers:

Some of the contractors that have helped OPM with managing internal data have had security issues of their own—including potentially giving foreign governments direct access to data long before the recent reported breaches. A consultant who did some work with a company contracted by OPM to manage personnel records for a number of agencies told Ars that he found the Unix systems administrator for the project "was in Argentina and his co-worker was physically located in the [People's Republic of China]. Both had direct access to every row of data in every database: they were root. Another team that worked with these databases had at its head two team members with PRC passports. I know that because I challenged them personally and revoked their privileges. From my perspective, OPM compromised this information more than three years ago and my take on the current breach is 'so what's new?'"

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/06/encryption-would-not-have-helped-at-opm-says-dhs-official/

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan