Disney lays off workers, makes them train their foregin replacements

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I have to say this is a good example of the principles of Capitalism going too far 

• Like 3

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I have to say this is a good example of the principles of Capitalism going too far 

For better or worse, it's capitalism working as intended. The much lauded invisible hand working its magic.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Every single person i've met in the energy sector finds the quality of service going down the drain when outsourcing to India/China and in some cases, even end up costing more for the company than keeping the services in-house.

Topical: http://yro.slashdot.org/story/15/04/25/2219209/think-tanks-how-a-bill-gates-agenda-becomes-a-law

Basically the need for H-1B was a manufactured crisis made by think-tanks. The reporter was awarded for Pulitzer price 2015 for this coverage.

• Like 5

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

No, as JadedWolf has accurately pointed it out, this is capitalism doing what capitalism does.

Which is, incidentally, why libertarian "let the free market run its course, it will work out in the end, honest" views fill me with utter dread.

• Like 2

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

While unfortunate, the alternative is much worse.  Are you going to force a company to keep the more expensive work force?

The best bet here is to use the media to exert pressure on Disney, which is what is happening.  Disney will need to weigh the bad publicity against the savings in the future.  

While unfortunate, the alternative is much worse.  Are you going to force a company to keep the more expensive work force?

The best bet here is to use the media to exert pressure on Disney, which is what is happening.  Disney will need to weigh the bad publicity against the savings in the future.

Well, it's not that simple: http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/service-management/businesses-prefer-cut-in-house-costs-than-challenge-providers-of-outsourced-services-3590995/

“Problems can arise when a service provider, who was previously the sole strategic supplier, for example, is unable or unwilling to pass on crucial knowledge to other suppliers in a new multi-vendor environment. In some cases, we have seen bad behaviour when valued suppliers have been asked to collaborate, co-operate and play well with others in the supply chain. So we understand the cautious approach taken by many organisations in order to keep their systems running,”

Or sometimes completely misguided: http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/239202

However, the benefits of outsourcing are beginning to look like short-term fixes rather than long-term solutions, and the very same companies that touted this movement are now bringing many of their divisions back to the U.S.

As i already said, the climate of outsourcing is pretty much manufactured. It made sense when you could outsource the cafeteria, cleaning services and other facility services, but in some cases it doesn't work at all.

• Like 2

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Well, it's not that simple: http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/service-management/businesses-prefer-cut-in-house-costs-than-challenge-providers-of-outsourced-services-3590995/

“Problems can arise when a service provider, who was previously the sole strategic supplier, for example, is unable or unwilling to pass on crucial knowledge to other suppliers in a new multi-vendor environment. In some cases, we have seen bad behaviour when valued suppliers have been asked to collaborate, co-operate and play well with others in the supply chain. So we understand the cautious approach taken by many organisations in order to keep their systems running,”

Or sometimes completely misguided: http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/239202

Yeah, these.

This utterly shortsighted "sacrifice everything for short-term profit" business strategy demonstrates perfectly what's wrong with... stuff.

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Well that and the idea that growth can be eternal rather than planning for how to deal with fluctuations and downturns, IMO, are huge problems with businesses.

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Heh, my company played some game to show there were no acceptable Canadian candidates by trolling job sites and just using the resultant dross as proof (we did get some good ones but conveniently they didn't pan out) so they could hire foreigners.

I hate dealing with these outsourced places though, insane turnover so the people become faceless and they seem to have come from degree mills.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Paying a decent wage is worse than importing workers to work for low wages? Especially considering that quality of service can go to ****?

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Depends on your perspective. If you are one of the Indian replancements I'm sure it's a step up. 

Not only for them, their families stand to profit enormously as well, and they don't even need semi-well paying jobs for that. We had an indian colleague working a menial warehouse job and he sent every last unused cent back home. Every now and then he'd go back on vacation and come back showing pictures of his home and family.

Yeah. Said home is a large, beautiful mansion on a huge estate, nice gardens and a really awesome pool. On the wage of a warehouse guy pushing boxes all day.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

comics-tie-boss-dilbert-599711.gif

• Like 9

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Paying a decent wage is worse than importing workers to work for low wages? Especially considering that quality of service can go to ****?

Disney is a publicly traded company, their only loyalty is to the bottom line. If you want better conditions and protection for US citizen jobs look to legislation, not Disney doing the 'right thing'.

• Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

As someone who has been laid off before, no company owes you a job. They will keep you around so long as it is in their interest to do so. As long as the service you provide adds value at the cost it requires to have you add it. We are not going to start having legislation from f-----g Congress or anything like that to fix it. It's just how things are. Every person who isn't self employed would do well to remember they are a disposable commodity and they need to keep their skill sharp and always be mindful of who is hiring and what they are paying. You owe your company no more loyalty than it owes you.

That's why I prefer 401K to a pension. It's portable. All employment is temporary when you get down to it. What happened to these folks was s----y no doubt. But Hurlshot nailed it, if you are going to start preventing companies from making personnel decisions you are going to see companies move overseas. That would not be an improvement.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Disney is a publicly traded company, their only loyalty is to the bottom line. If you want better conditions and protection for US citizen jobs look to legislation, not Disney doing the 'right thing'.

I understand that completely, I take issue with theidea that the alternative of paying workers more and delivering better service being worse than using cheap labor.

As someone who has been laid off before, no company owes you a job. They will keep you around so long as it is in their interest to do so. As long as the service you provide adds value at the cost it requires to have you add it. We are not going to start having legislation from f-----g Congress or anything like that to fix it. It's just how things are. Every person who isn't self employed would do well to remember they are a disposable commodity and they need to keep their skill sharp and always be mindful of who is hiring and what they are paying. You owe your company no more loyalty than it owes you.

That's why I prefer 401K to a pension. It's portable. All employment is temporary when you get down to it. What happened to these folks was s----y no doubt. But Hurlshot nailed it, if you are going to start preventing companies from making personnel decisions you are going to see companies move overseas. That would not be an improvement.

No one is denying this. The company looks after its interests and employees after theirs, but the problem comes when the game becomes tilted when the faceless corporations are the ones making up the laws thanks to their cosy relationship with the government. See my link about the H-1B visa "crisis" to understand what i am getting at.

//edit: I am always under the assumption that the employee see honest work as the best pay in itself. The wage is just a matter of negotiation of self-interest between the interested parties.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

No, no, no.

"Robits."

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I bet all those pinko-commie leftist garbage people here will come to complain soon. happy0203.gif

Reporting for duty!   salute.gif

Disney is a publicly traded company, their only loyalty is to the bottom line. If you want better conditions and protection for US citizen jobs look to legislation, not Disney doing the 'right thing'.

Yeah, one shouldn't expect corporations to do the right thing, because... reasons. Regardless, I wouldn't hold my breath for legislation to fix this mess, because legislation is literally bought and paid for by the corporations it benefits.

So I can't expect corporations not to **** me over, and I can't expect the Man not to **** me over. Hmm, that's nice. But not to worry, I'm sure that putting a piece of paper in a plastic box next year will totally change things this time.

*thinks of puppies and sunshines*

• Like 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.