Obsidian Entertainment At E3 This Year... New Project Reveal?

DaCobbler

So I was reading this interesting interview with Chris Avellone

http://www.thatonevideogamer.com/featured/tovg-extra-spotlight-interview-with-chris-avellone-by-gerry-martin/

And early on he mentions:

"I find I’m divided across so many projects that it’s hard to focus on a single one – doing both Eternity and our new undisclosed project at Obsidian was pretty rough, combined with owner responsibilities."

And with Obsidian heading to E3 soon, I wonder if they'll hint or even reveal something about it.

I was initially thinking it might be that Wheel of Time game they were co-developing but as of 2014, they said that due to not enough finance, they couldn't continue developing the game with their partner.

So is it a new IP? The CEO of Obsidian did say:

His vision for the company five years from now includes a Skyrim-style Pillars of Eternity game in addition to the isometric version

I think it's the expansion.

I'm not sure. Why would they work simultaneously on the expansion and the base game? Especially considering they said that profits from Pillars' sales will go towards the expansion, therefore they couldn't even have set the funding (and consequently, scope) until PoE was published.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Something to do with these card games perhaps?

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Nah, they're definitely working on the expansion, stated as much. They probably had projections on what Pillars of Eternity would sell at a minimum and how much they'd need for an expansion of their scope and the ongoing support of the game, anyway. They did say that news about the expansion would come after E3, though, so I'm guessing that the expansions will be there but shown behind close doors. Not wise to show it off publicly while all the thunder is stolen by AAA, anyway.

Difficult to say whether they'll reveal the new project at E3 or not because: 1) we don't know when development started 2) we don't know what kind of scope they're aiming for. If it's mid-tier AAA then yeah, an E3 reveal is possible. If it's another relatively low-budget title than that seems more unlikely (there are other trade fairs that are better for that kind of reveal).

I guess we'll see.

• Like 2

1) we don't know when development started 2) we don't know what kind of scope they're aiming for. If it's mid-tier AAA then yeah, an E3 reveal is possible. If it's another relatively low-budget title than that seems more unlikely (there are other trade fairs that are better for that kind of reveal).

I guess we'll see.

Well we do know when roles first were assigned to which would be February 2014. That doesn't mean much though.