PoE review at RPG Codex by Decado

This review exists solely to defend the game (actually not kidding), rather than to review it. Therefore it is no surprise that the content of the review is quite weak. As TheisEjsing noted.

Wow the butthurt. 

Also: irony, calling the review weak by posting weak sauce drivel. (not kidding)

• Like 1

the butthurt is at least partial explainable.  check out the something awful forums.  1/4 of rope kid's (josh sawyer's posting name) contributions in the poe thread(s) is factual corrections o' a small number codexians.  is multiple +200-+500 threads at this point, so am not recommending a full read, but 

WARNING: the following site does not have the same language filter as does obsidian.

you have been warned, yes?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706905&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

we would highlight particular posts, but there is no need to further emasculate certain folks.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

This review exists solely to defend the game (actually not kidding), rather than to review it. Therefore it is no surprise that the content of the review is quite weak. As TheisEjsing noted.

Wow the butthurt. 

Also: irony, calling the review weak by posting weak sauce drivel. (not kidding)

He isn't kidding. It's not butthurt. The review exists solely to defend the game. Like. Really.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

That's not an itemization issue, though. I don't think anyone has called for more powerful items, just meaningfully diverse ones. I think the enchanting system greatly undermines the itemization, and makes everything feel lackluster. Items are a lot less special when you can do the same thing.

For example, imagine if any of the iconic weapons in the IE games could be easily replicated with enchanting. Wouldn't be so iconic anymore, would they?

I think that enchanting should've been harder, and offered general, key-but-weak upgrades applicable to almost all items, and the vast majority of items found being much more unique. I also think that the Normal/Fine/Exceptional/Superb should be a function of creation, not just enchantments slapped on in a linear upgrade-style(s). It further undermines itemization and the feeling of a lot of things you can find.

"Oh, I found X. Looks nice, but.. eh, it's really just a Sabre with enchantments Y and Z, and I can't even use enchanting on it because those enchants it already has locks it out. Eh. Vendor it."

I think the item quality is too big factor compared to the unique effects and a major cause for making special items underwhelming. It just gives so much stats that you need a ton of other stuff to even consider using lets say a fine unique over exceptional basic item. Plain bonuses to accuracy and dmg is also the most boring power available, and the damaging, accurate etc. bonuses are pretty much just inferior to quality as enchant space is to my knowledge not a concern with any item besides blade of the endlesspaths that cant be given elemental lash.

Its true that the unique item properties are quite boring compared to the ones in for example BG2, but even the ones in PoE would be much more interesting if they had more relative power compared to quality. By simply reducing the stats quality gives, all the unique items and damaging/accurate enchants would become way more meaningfull. Enchanting would devalue unique items a lot less if quality and maybe elemental lash were toned down. Making the unique fast property(20% attack speed) actually work would also be nice as it would be a big chunk of dps one cannot normally enchant.

Wow the butthurt. 

He isn't kidding. It's not butthurt. The review exists solely to defend the game. Like. Really.

He's been butthurt since even before PoE was released. Like. Really.