Is this game worth the price they are asking?

I'm an avid gamer and have played most Obsid games in the past however 45 bucks seems a bit steep when the only gameplay vids I can find show horrible graphics and the commentators spend 90 percent of the time clicking through dialogue. Without a playable demo i am hesitant to spend this amount because i've seen too many games lately fall flat on their face. Maximum PC has a (obviously sponsored) 9+ rating on this game but doesn't offer much info on play details.

So i'm asking players who have purchased this game, is it worth the price? No shills please just honest replies would be greatly appreciated :)

I'm just surmising, but from your comment about '90 percent of the time clicking through dialog', it seems you don't like this aspect of RPGs? If so, then this game isn't for you. There is a lot of dialog. As far as the graphics go, I actually think they're damned good. But this game is designed to pay homage to the old IE games, so the isometric view, multicharacter party, dialogs, and graphics are all part of the design goals.

I backed this on Kickstarter and was not terribly impressed with the end result, but that wasn't due to the graphics or dialog. I just didn't enjoy the game mechanics. Without more info on what you like in a game, it's tough to make any kind of recommendation though.

*edit* Oh, and overall, the game gets high praise form pretty much all sources. Professional reviewers as well as players, for what it's worth.

Edited by Ink Blot
  • Like 2

If you have a problem with the graphics and don't like reading dialogue probably not.  If you like the style, heavy dialogue, real time w/ pause combat like Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale, it's probably worth it.  I think it's worth it and then some, but it's pretty niche.

• Like 1

Yes its worth it

The game is much better than i thought.

The combat system is great. No save or instant death spells. Rather good balance in it.

The atmosphere is terrific.

The main story is rather bland and weak but the quests are fun and different.

Edited by Tennisgolfboll
  • Like 3

So i'm asking players who have purchased this game, is it worth the price? No shills please just honest replies would be greatly appreciated original.gif

Since I pledged to the kickstarter rather than purchasing it, I'm not sure I'm the opinion you want.

The game has a lot of text and a lot of reading in it.  Character creation is complex and the importance of things in character creation may not be intuitively clear to you (read the manual).  It has a fair bit of combat, and combat is highly normalized.  Its a large game, with a lot of side content to explore.  Some things are at best rudimentary in implementation, like the Stronghold which has a place in the game but feels like it should be more.

Overall I liked the story, I thought it had some interesting characters and quests.  Sometimes there was illusionary choice railroading when I'd rather have had real branches.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Is a game that took 3 years to make worth a $45 price tag ? That's the wrong question to ask. It's already hard enough an endeavour not to tear down prices.

Now it may not be of your taste, just like those $45 trousers you did not buy some time ago. If it was me I would trade my pants for a copy of this game without thinking.

Edited by Adragan
  • Like 3

I'm just surmising, but from your comment about '90 percent of the time clicking through dialog', it seems you don't like this aspect of RPGs? If so, then this game isn't for you. There is a lot of dialog. the game gets high praise form pretty much all sources. Professional reviewers as well as players, for what it's worth.

If you have a problem with the graphics and don't like reading dialogue probably not.  

Yes its worth it The main story is rather bland and weak but the quests are fun and different.

The game has a lot of text and a lot of reading in it. (read the manual).  It has a fair bit of combat, and combat is highly normalized.  Its a large game, with a lot of side content to explore. Overall I liked the story, 

Is a game that took 3 years to make worth a $45 price tag ? That's the wrong question to ask. If it was me I would trade my pants for a copy of this game without thinking.

Adgran, going by your theory 'Duke Nukem Forever' should have cost $225 at launch 15 years into development. But if you're willing to trade your pants for a copy then i'm going to believe it's worth the price :)

Thank you all for your replies and comments, they were very helpful in making my decision.

As far as I'm concerned, it is worth the $250 I dropped on it during the Kickstarter. Would back again.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

For me this game is worth every penny they ask for it. But it obviously depends on your personal preferences. If you don't like written dialogue and stories, it's probably not your cup of tea. But if that's not your major concern, you get a game with a rather rich storyline and an endless stream of sidequests that are real quests and not the usual FedEx simulators of fetch and carry you find in so many games these days.

Based on the OP's comments I would say this is not the game for him.  It is an isometric 2D graphics game with a lot of reading required to understand and enjoy the game.  The combat is tactics based with RTwP combat.    I would not recommend it to someone who wants a fast paced game.    It can take 40 mins or more just to create your character.  You travel with a party of up to six members either pre made or custom made.

The game was designed as a spiritual successor to the Infinity Engine games.  I backed the game and am very happy with it but then I was a big fan of the IE games and love story driven games with lots of dialogue and choices.  I think the game is worth every penny of 45 USD but it is not for everyone.

• Like 1

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

The game was designed as a spiritual successor to the Infinity Engine games.  I backed the game and am very happy with it but then I was a big fan of the IE games and love story driven games with lots of dialogue and choices.  I think the game is worth every penny of 45 USD but it is not for everyone.

For me it was llike finding a water hole after crossing the Sahara of mediocre hack and slash FedEx simulator games.

I would have backed it, had I even known about it. Same goes for D:OS.

• Like 1

As others have said, it depends on what you like in a game. For many people, it's well worth the $45 price tag and then some. For people who don't like what the game has to offer, it's not worth it.

OP, what you shouldn't be asking is, "Is it worth $45 price tag?" but rather "Would I like to pay $45 for this based on my taste in games?" Based on what little you've revealed in what you like in games, this is probably not the game for you. It doesn't use standard "latest and greatest" 3D graphics that makes up most of the AA and AAA industry, it is story and dialogue-heavy, it is more story and character-driven, it does use written dialogue more than voice-acting, the combat is a more slow, deliberate, tactical Real-Time-with-Pause rather than being fast or explosive, and so on.

If you're sure you're not going to like it, then $45 is too much for you.

Edited by Faerunner

"Not I, though. Not I," said the hanging dwarf.

Think it's worth every penny, would gladly back again.  But yeah, if you're not into deep story with plenty of dialogue, I'd pass. I backed for the story, dialogue, art, etc, and while I enjoyed the tactical combat of the old IE games it's not the reason I play these games. Pillars though, really surprised me here...  especially after not enjoying the combat much in the backer beta, I ended up really liking it. From the talk up to release I was expecting a great challenge on hard, but with a full party and doing the side quests to max exp, most battles haven't been very challenging (except for 1 or 2 encounters)...  and maybe that's a good thing because I've been having a good time.   :yes:

Edited by sp3cw4r

I'm an avid gamer and have played most Obsid games in the past however 45 bucks seems a bit steep when the only gameplay vids I can find show horrible graphics and the commentators spend 90 percent of the time clicking through dialogue. Without a playable demo i am hesitant to spend this amount because i've seen too many games lately fall flat on their face. Maximum PC has a (obviously sponsored) 9+ rating on this game but doesn't offer much info on play details.

So i'm asking players who have purchased this game, is it worth the price? No shills please just honest replies would be greatly appreciated :)

Yes.

I paid 47 AUD for it. I was a huge fan of the old IE isometric games, so for me it has been worth every cent. I'm actually a long way from finishing it, but have gotten enough solid enjoyment going through trying the different character styles.

Show me the link that doesn't exist and I'll show you a 'sponsored' rating. 

Especially when you look at all the console crap reviews in their high 90ies that get user ratings of 4 or 5 on metacritic. Speaking of a major dissconnect between so called professional game reviewers and the player community.

If you know where to look or if you wait, you can find it at a price under 20$/€ and I'd say it's well worth the price. But judging by what I read, it doesn't seem this game is made for you. You shouldn't let that stop you though, test the thing for yourself if you can.

Straight up, for the price --- well compare it to others.   A new title for a console system tends to run you about 50 bucks.  An old title runs you 10-20.  Look on steam ... new stuff is $50 on the average, some are 65 and up.  

The graphics are OK -- for a 2-d top down.  I was a little disappointed here, I *expected* neverwinter's ability to rotate the screen (even from the fixed top down view, that was huge) and instead its a throwback to older tech that seems to be background images and pseudo-3d.  There is nothing wrong with the graphics in terms of resolution and such -- its slightly cartoonish instead of photorealistic but that is also a nod to the older games and genre.

There is a fair amount of dialog.  It is a ROLE PLAYING game, not diablo.   There is a lot of combat, too ... probably too much of it.  Once in a while, just for variety, you would think someone could walk thru the woods without being assaulted by something....

You may or may not like this type of game.  But the # of hours to play through it once is on par with other $50 games, and it has *some* replay value (even if not trying to master the game such that you can play it with one character, you can still replay other classes and attitudes etc). 

No. I think it is worth around $20, maybe $30 max. I enjoyed the game but the game is not up to the quality of AAA releases that normally cost $50+. For example the backer npcs are a real distraction, skills like stealth and mechanics are tedious, bugs with item stats and such, etc.

The graphics and story are alright but not phenomenal. It is certainly worth playing but I think the price is not equal to the game.

No. I think it is worth around $20, maybe $30 max. I enjoyed the game but the game is not up to the quality of AAA releases that normally cost $50+. For example the backer npcs are a real distraction, skills like stealth and mechanics are tedious, bugs with item stats and such, etc.

The graphics and story are alright but not phenomenal. It is certainly worth playing but I think the price is not equal to the game.

Meh, if the backer NPCs are distracting you, that's on you.  You know which ones they are.  Just ignore them.  That's what I do.  To me, they're just "people" who are filler in the various communities who make those places seem less empty.  Thy can't distract you unless YOU let them.

And Mechanics is tedious?  What do you want?  Every trap and lock and hidden object to miraculously be disarmed, opened, or found when you get within 500 feet of them?  Traps and locks and hidden objects are as much a part of fantasy RPGs as wizards and magic and magical creatures and so forth.  Or do you want there to be no traps or locks or hidden objects in the first place?  Jeez.

And Stealth tedious?  Seriously?  SERIOUSLY?  There's a reason why dungeon crawls aren't called dungeon sprints!!!!

Jeez.  It sounds like you want to play a fantasy RPG without a lot of the very elements that are at the core of what makes them what they are.  :facepalm:

Edited by Crucis
  • Like 1

Unless you have a totally different perception of what an RPG should offer, name one AAA title that lived up to RPG standards. They're expensive, they're shiny and that's about the size of it. The rest is compiled of FedEx quests and hack and slash action, with shiny beacons, so you can find your next delivery on the schedule.