Option to reduce particles? Please?

LordFey

Question

One thing I did encounter quite often in this game is that if I'm on a map/scene with a lot of particle effects (like fog, rain, biawac in the beginning, ...), the framerate drops tremendously. On native resolution (1920x1080) and AA off I run this game around 45-50 fps, but everytime the weather goes to rain for example I can be lucky if my fps stay above 30 fps. The same applies for scenes like the biawac in the beginning and every other "flashy" scene only that it goes down to like 19 fps and thats quite annoying in my opinion.

I don't know the exact reason for that, but I guess it has to do with the particles in the game and how they affect my CPU.

I'm curious if I'm the only one with this problem and I also wanna ask, if an option to turn down particle effect may solve it?

Edited by LordFey

5 answers to this question

I'm having trouble imagining the particle effects boosting frame rates.

Would love an option to turn them off and/or down (and not just spell effects, but constant environmental fog/dust/whatever effects, as well).

*sigh*

This statement is false.

One thing I did encounter quite often in this game is that if I'm on a map/scene with a lot of particle effects (like fog, rain, biawac in the beginning, ...), the framerate drops tremendously. On native resolution (1920x1080) and AA off I run this game around 45-50 fps, but everytime the weather goes to rain for example I can be lucky if my fps stay above 30 fps. The same applies for scenes like the biawac in the beginning and every other "flashy" scene only that it goes down to like 19 fps and thats quite annoying in my opinion.

I don't know the exact reason for that, but I guess it has to do with the particles in the game and how they affect my CPU.

I'm curious if I'm the only one with this problem and I also wanna ask, if an option to turn down particle effect may solve it?

Are we going on the assumption that such slowdowns are totally independent of the GPUs installed in the machines affected  ?

Kiwi

Are we going on the assumption that such slowdowns are totally independent of the GPUs installed in the machines affected  ?

There are several abilities and effects that have such an excessive particle spam, that they reduce framerate of machines way beyond optimum hardware recommendations for PoE.

I have a highend PC and still suffer from a severe FPS drop when the constructs in crucible keep use that shiny blue spark spell.

Also, the fog effect in Sun in Shadows heavily drops FPS for me - and I have a stable max FPS in all other situations.

It's clear that it's an excess of particles, not the hardware that is to blame.

Edited by Zwiebelchen