So, does anoyone use 1-handed style, no shield?

Rogues do well with single handed. Having one weapon increases your accuracy. Which then increases your crit chance. Rogues can be build around doing massive crit damage so it's a very nice fit. Using that strategy on my current run with rogue pc, loving it.

• Like 2

My main character was a duelist (and a Paladin, to boot :lol:). So yes, there are people that do. The question should be whether it's good or not. And it's not. It's pretty terrible, compared to any other combination, except the verymost beginning of the game, where the flat +12 Accuracy is huge.

Especially the One-Handed Weapon Style Talent is useless. It is an ironic twist that it's far more useful for someone going Weapon and Shield-Style, since they benefit far, far more from a Graze-to-Hit bonus - nearly useless to actual duelists, who will already have a much lower amount of grazes compared to anyone else, especially if they really push for higher Accuracy (which they should; a duelist build is all about the Accuracy).

t50aJUd.jpg

Odd as it may sound to some, I don't know why going 1 handed wouldn't add to your speed more than dual wielding would.  And there are other questions one could pose regarding these various 4 styles.  In theory, one could wonder why each style doesn't teach you increased defense (DEFL), increased Accuracy with whatever weapon(s) you're using, and/or increased speed.  Of course, I suppose this could make them seem pretty generic if they were all the same.  OTOH, let's say for yucks that they were all the same.  Each of the 4 gave you +X DEFL, +Y Accuracy, +Z% damage and perhaps +ZZ% attack speed.  The thing is that if you picked, for example, two handed weapons, you'd only gain this benefit with 2H weapons. (Well that's obvious.  Duh.)  You'd be a lot more proficient in one style over the other, but that proficiency would express itself in more than just the current single area (speed, accuracy, damage, or DEFL).

Ya know, come to think of it, if these styles were enhanced in this way, you could almost get rid of weapon proficiencies (and spec and mastery) and focus your skill on combat styles rather than individual weapons. 

Also, there'd probably be a need for a ranged weapons style, though one could argue that Marksman could cover that.  OTOH, one could also argue in favor of a bow style and a guns/xbow style.  And who knows about magical implements?  (A style of their own?)

But back to melee styles, an advantage here would be that it would remove any perceived limitations of the current groups.  I'll admit that it might create a different set of perceived limitations.  For example, if you pick single-handed weapon style, that'd preclude you from using that style for two handed melee weapons.  OTOH, it's not like you're stuck with a WF group that seems mismatched for your vision of the character.  Of course, I suppose if you have a vision of a character who uses daggers, staffs, and bows proficiently, you'd be in a bit of a bind, style wise, but I'm thinking (perhaps wrongly) that it'd be more flexible than the current system.

Another interesting benefit that this idea could be that it'd be a very different take on weapons skill than DnD, at least as I remember it in the BG and IWD games.  Rather than focusing on individual weapons or groups of weapons, you'd be focusing on fighting styles. 

Well, anyways, just a bunch of theory crafting, so take it for what little it's worth.

• Like 2

I was thinking about doing this, but don't know why I wouldn't just go two-handed.

My mage is using a one-handed sword, no shield. I do this for roleplaying reasons, but I think I read somewhere that using a one-handed weapon without shield offers a higher accuracy (perhaps because of the missing malus from the shield?).

As for the question "Why not use a 2H weapon instead?": one-handed weapons tend to be faster than two-handed weapons.

FdSm3p1.png

I guess one advantage of it could be that because the large accuracy bonus you skip any accuracy related talents and because you don't have weapon focus you could switch through weapons more freely.  Seems like something I might try out on a hired adventurer and then give up on if I don't like it.

You could take savage attack and still have more accuracy than an two-hander with a weapon focus.

Edited by MunoValente

Going one handed with the other hand empty gets you +12 accuracy. Especially at the beginning the extra accuracy can be a life saver.

Or a life ender... for your foes  :yes:

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Here's a question related to the Single-Handed style.

Does the graze-to-hit bonus from Single Handed Style stack with the Fighter class ability Confident Aim, which also is a graze-to-hit bonus?

Curious minds want to know.  ;)

I was thinking about doing this, but don't know why I wouldn't just go two-handed.

My mage is using a one-handed sword, no shield. I do this for roleplaying reasons, but I think I read somewhere that using a one-handed weapon without shield offers a higher accuracy (perhaps because of the missing malus from the shield?).

As for the question "Why not use a 2H weapon instead?": one-handed weapons tend to be faster than two-handed weapons.

If your primary reason for going single handed, no shield is role playing, more power to ya.  :thumbsup:

I prefer giving my mage a shield, though probably a small one (to avoid the accuracy penalty), because the way I look at it for my mages is that if they're in melee, it was against their choice and I'm more concerned with them staying alive than having them getting hits and doing damage.  And as such, I use a shield for the extra deflection, I have them bring up their Arcane Shield (or whatever that ability is called), along with other stuff like Fire Shield.

Actually, they are not faster. Average one-handed weapons have same rate of attack as slow two-handed weapons.

Spell Fixes compilation for Neverwinter Nights 2, as well as my other submissions for this great game.

Just a small note: Since spellstriking weapons trigger on crit, they synergize well with this style.

Why?  This style has a graze to hit bonus, not a hit to crit bonus.  What am I missing? (Other than the fact that if you are using a single weapon (with or without the Style talent) you get an accuracy bonus.)

Edited by Crucis

Just a small note: Since spellstriking weapons trigger on crit, they synergize well with this style.

Why?  This style has a graze to hit bonus, not a hit to crit bonus.  What am I missing? (Other than the fact that if you are using a single weapon (with or without the Style talent) you get an accuracy bonus.)

The accuracy bonus IS the point.

The accuracy bonus IS the point.

But one doesn't need to pick the style to get the accuracy bonus and increase the number of crits.  THAT was my point. 

Regardless, no one's answered by earlier question about stacking the style's graze to hit bonus with the fighter ability's that also gives a graze to hit bonus.  That would be a very interesting thing indeed.  More crits from the outside the style talent's accuracy bonus plus a possibly stacked graze-to-hit pair of bonuses?!   Seems like that would be a pretty impressive combo.

The 1H style talent is useless. Don't use it.

If you use a one-hand weapon without a shield, the resulting accuracy bonus basicly negates the advantage of the talent, unless the enemy has absurdly high deflection (like Thaos or a certain Adra creature).

I wish the devs would change this talent to hit-to-crit conversion instead.

Edited by Zwiebelchen

This style will become valid once they fix the +20% attack speed enchantments on weapons. The way the attack speed works in PoE, one handers & two handers gain more from the attack speed bonus that the dual-wielded weapons. And, at the really high attack speed modifiers (something like 160%+) they begin to outdamage the duals. However, reaching past the 160% threshold is rather hard without that 20% bonus.

Another use for the one-handers is with the barbarian and cladhaliath/wildstar mass-stun strategies (or just with the rogue). Bigger accuracy means more frequent criticals, after all. Or more reliable hits for the rogue hit-to-crit conversion.

While we're on the subject, do the graze to hit (or whatever) conversions work by extending the d100 range, or is it more like a proc?

If you do the maths, you will notice that there is no difference between those two possibilities you mentioned. The result is the same.

It works like this:

Accuracy + d100 - deflection = X

X:

0-14: miss

15-50: graze

51-100: hit

>100: crit

So basicly a 30% graze to hit bonus shifts the turnover point by 11 points [35*30%/100% = 10.5 rounded to 11] and will change it to this:

15-39: graze

40-100: hit

>100: crit.

So it's basicly equal to 11 points in accuracy. But only within the graze range. Outside of that, it has no effect. Which is why the 1H talent is so weak, since you rarely graze with 1H weapons.

Btw, a 30% hit to crit bonus would come to this [50*30%/100% = 15]:

15-50: graze

50-85: hit

>85: crit.

So this is actually worth 15 accuracy within hit range. Which is why most hit-to-crit bonuses are smaller than the graze-to-hit bonuses - most of them have only a 20% bonus, which coincidently also equals 10 accuracy.

Edited by Zwiebelchen

While we're on the subject, do the graze to hit (or whatever) conversions work by extending the d100 range, or is it more like a proc?

If you do the maths, you will notice that there is no difference between those two possibilities you mentioned. The result is the same.

I don't think that's right in all cases. Let's say my accuracy is so high against some enemy that I graze on anything between 1 and 5 (so over 5 is a hit and so on). If we now add a "10%" graze to hit mechanism to that, it will do one of the following:

A) Adjust the range by 10, which would eliminate grazes entirely

B) Proc a 10% chance of conversion when you roll a 5 or less, which is of course much worse

Edited by manageri

Seriously, will no one answer my question about whether the style's graze to hit bonus stacks with the fighter ability Confident Aim's graze to hit bonus?

I would assume that they stack, given that the Active Abilities list doesn't show either one as suppressed. I have that setup on an Eder with Flail equipped for about 70%-80% graze to hit conversion rate.

Regarding 1 handed style, an easy way to make it better would be to apply the bonus to:

1. Graze to Hit
  2. Hit to Crit

That way you get some type of bonus for higher accuracy characters.