PC DVD version not for Linux?

what_else!

Question

Having read the website about PoE supporting Linux, I went and bought the PC DVD at my local store (it just sounded faster to walk 10 min than to wait 10 hours of download).

But, the DVD only has a "setup.exe" for Windows and no Linux related installation script.

Does that mean that the Linux game is only a downloadable thing and I should return the game? or is there some installation script that I can download from somewhere?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

15 answers to this question

Apparently, the PC DVD is Windows and Steam only. It is also impossible to exchange a Steam key for a GOG key, because "the money" went to one organisation and not the other. The only real solution, is to return the game for a refund and buy it instead from GOG directly.

I'm against Steam, because some time ago I did some debug work on their client and I was very disappointed to find some unsettling results. It downloaded all sorts of information from my computer and it stayed running all the time, while at the same time transferring all sorts of encrypted data. Not exactly transparent on what it was doing, so better safe than sorry.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the dvd box clearly states "Linux Minimum System Requirements" at the back, with the little table of spec. It mentions Ubuntu under "OS".

In case its of any help, here are the files in the root directory of the dvd:

291651_depotcache_1.csd
291651_depotcache_1.csm
291651_depotcache_2.csd
291651_depotcache_2.csm
291651_depotcache_3.csd
291651_depotcache_3.csm
291651_depotcache_4.csd
291651_depotcache_4.csm
291651_depotcache_5.csd
291651_depotcache_5.csm
291651_depotcache_6.csd
291651_depotcache_6.csm
291651_depotcache_7.csd
291651_depotcache_7.csm
291652_depotcache_1.csd
291652_depotcache_1.csm
autorun.inf
icon.ico
resources
Setup.exe
setup.ini
sku.sis
splash.tga
SteamRetailInstaller.dmg
SteamService.exe

Any ideas please?

I understand that a lot of people are playing this game under Linux, they probably installed a downloadable digital edition, because I still can't find a solution on the PC DVD. The box clearly mentions Linux but the DVD only has a Windows setup.exe installer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Looks like some Steam-encryption system, I’d guess you have no choice but to run the Setup.exe file on a Windows machine or through WINE to get the actual game data.

Wasteland 2 retail DVD uses the same system as far as I know, if I find anything about a way to get the DVD working on Linux on the inXile forums I’ll report back here.

-----

Okay, you might find some help from the method inXile developer tonurics shared in the following thread:

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=11081

Jump to the "Getting the game files from the installation media" part of the first post.

Edited by vv221
  • Like 1

Ah, I see! I'll look around as well. Thank you!

*edit*

Well, someone at obsidian must have rushed a bit. The DVD definitely does not support Linux (even if the DVD box says so), it is Steam for Windows only. The solution given in the Wasteland 2 forums, is to use install Steam and use the serial "key" printed inside the DVD case to download the Linux version of the game.

Since Steam does not work properly on my CentOS Linux, this is something I can't do at the moment.

Anyone knows if the serial "key" works with the GOG.com as well? Maybe I can download the game from there?

Edited by what_else!

Anyone knows if the serial "key" works with the GOG.com as well? Maybe I can download the game from there?

The DVD is tied to Steam only, its key included, sorry for bringing bad news.

If there is no Steam package on your OS, here is what I would do:

_create a Steam account via its website (not sure if required)

_download and install the Windows version of Steam through WINE

_follow the short installation guide I linked you to in my previous post (it does not require to download anything)

_delete Steam, its WINE prefix, your Steam account (if you needed to create one at some point) and even WINE if you like

You can contact them by sending an email to support@obsidian.net

But I’m not sure they’re the ones qualified to proceed your request, that’s Paradox who is handling customer support for retail versions of Pillars of Eternity.

You should be able to contact Paradox customer support through the following page:

https://paradox.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Edited by vv221

We should have a physical version on linux, shouldn't we ?

This is a bit tricky actually: the DVD actually gives access to the Linux version, but you can install it only from… Windows!

Maybe it can be done through WINE, but I won’t be the one to try it as I’m entitled to the DRM-free DVD.

In my understanding there is no physical installation media for linux version, but instead you need to register game in steam and install it to linux by using steam's linux client. You shouldn't need Windows to do any part of that. But of course it is bit bummer if you bought DVD to lower your bandwidth usage.