Game Freeze after Duc Killed

Mark L

Question

I've hit a fairly serious bug that I haven't seen mentioned previously (if it has, I apologize - I scanned and searched the forum and couldn't find a mention of it). When I get to the Ducal Palace after talking with Lady Webb, I'm admitted to the Animance Hearings as expected. While attending the Animancy Hearings, the game pauses right after the Duc is killed and the cut scene with the 'he killed the Duc - get him' sequence finishes. After this cut-scene, the game pauses, and no keys or mouse clicks will take the game back out of pause. <ESC>, <space>, etc., do nothing, so it is impossible to proceed with the game or exit from the game. The only option is to <alt-tab> to the desktop and manually kill the game. This is with the v1.06 beta.

I've played the game to this point several times, and this bug happens sometimes but other times does not happen. My best guess of the common denominator is that it appears that if the player completes the Searing Falls 'Cinders of Faith' quest prior to the Animancy Hearings, the bug happens. If the player doesn't complete this quest, the game proceeds normally. I'd upload a game save, but it is over 2 MB and the file upload has a limit of 1 MB. Let me know if it would be helpful to have a game save, and where/how to upload it.

7 answers to this question

Hi Mark L,

I've faced this bug earlier today. Just like you described, I could not un-pause the game after the duc was killed. After several alt-tab/force quit/reload I unchecked all of my auto-pause checkboxes (in my case that was Enemy spotted, Combat Start and Spell cast). Turns out it solved my problem. The game no longer pauses during the event, therefore solving my problem.

I hope this will solve it for you as well.

ps: This was with patch 1.06 on Steam

• Like 2

I've faced this bug earlier today. Just like you described, I could not un-pause the game after the duc was killed. After several alt-tab/force quit/reload I unchecked all of my auto-pause checkboxes (in my case that was Enemy spotted, Combat Start and Spell cast). Turns out it solved my problem.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this, and it worked for me, too. Apparently when the turmoil over the Duc's assasination breaks out, one or more of the parties fighting are identified as enemies (even though your party is in a balcony on another level), so it was auto-pausing - then for some reason it locks out all keys which would allow you to un-pause. Anyway, your work-around got me past this bug for now, so thanks again.

Here is a game save from just before the meeting in the palace. If you walk through the open balcony door and attend the animacy hearings, after the attack the game will pause and you will be unable to un-pause or preform any other action, including with the <ESC> key or <space> key.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0wbjv9s9sg3xmri/AAAfGBA9lKXW9ERPPwSJDDWZa?dl=0

Let me know if this doesn't work or if you need another example - I have a different character that encountered the same bug. Hope this helps. Thanks.