Deeply disappointed with Obsidian

No, but they could have the delivered the kind of game the IE games were.

And they did.

Man, what an echo chamber of whine this forum has become since everyone who was happy with the end product went away to play the game...

And the long essays about their expectations not being met to provide some kind of catharsis before leaving the forums.

Having not played Baldur's Gate, I was comparing Pillars of Eternity to other modern RPG's and I can safely say, in myself, that the story so much better than the lore in other modern games - Baldur's Gate is a pretty old game, and no matter how experienced you are, creating a new story, in line with another, is not as easy as one-two-three. Plus, back then people were much darker, we live in a passive, progressive and painless society, now a days... I'm sure if they didn't quite make a better game, that in the second, they would fix their mistakes. I look forward to the next, if there is to be one.

Edited by s13ep
  • Like 1

King of Kings

Lord of Lords

Plus, back then people were much darker, we live in a passive, progressive and painless society, now a days... I'm sure if they didn't quite make a better game, that in the second, they would fix their mistakes. I look forward to the next, if there is to be one.

What? We're not talking about the Dark Ages here?

Weren't you alive in 1998? To call it so much darker than today is a peculiar claim. Unsupported by my own memories and I was already 35 back then.

Plus, back then people were much darker, we live in a passive, progressive and painless society, now a days... I'm sure if they didn't quite make a better game, that in the second, they would fix their mistakes. I look forward to the next, if there is to be one.

What? We're not talking about the Dark Ages here?

Weren't you alive in 1998? To call it so much darker than today is a peculiar claim. Unsupported by my own memories and I was already 35 back then.

He may have been talking about medieval society, as in people were darker back in the period of time the games were set.  Don't quote me on that, it's not too clear.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

No, generally.

There was more criminal activity back then, people were more hardened on the streets, now a days it's all about protein shakes and steroids. The police are overpowered, as they should be, but that's not making humans any more lively. Imaginations are restricted in education to be submissive, with greater effect in the world of today than the world of 1998. Without being too egotistical, my father was a criminal and I was brought up quite lavishly and around lots of violent, egotistical behavior. I'm so cold inside because of it; when it's the father, most want to live up to the name, and I find it not possible in todays world, whereas in his world it was much more possible proven by the acts he committed in front of me; check!

King of Kings

Lord of Lords

No, generally.

There was more criminal activity back then, people were more hardened on the streets, now a days it's all about protein shakes and steroids. The police are overpowered, as they should be, but that's not making humans any more lively. Imaginations are restricted in education to be submissive, with greater effect in the world of today than the world of 1998. Without being too egotistical, my father was a criminal and I was brought up quite lavishly and around lots of violent, egotistical behavior. I'm so cold inside because of it; when it's the father, most want to live up to the name, and I find it not possible in todays world, whereas in his world it was much more possible proven by the acts he committed in front of me; check!

So it's your personal experience and you have my sympathies for that, but it's not as if society has suddenly grown happy go lucky since then. If anything, given 9/11 and the ensuing European attacks in 2004 and 2005 have made things more sinister.

No, generally.

So it's your personal experience and you have my sympathies for that, but it's not as if society has suddenly grown happy go lucky since then. If anything, given 9/11 and the ensuing European attacks in 2004 and 2005 have made things more sinister.

It's really not a bad thing in my eyes, his position was influential, I really had a sense of power; among others I am fearless, I take pride in the fact I admit I'm paranoid about people with fighting skills and or what's to be considered potential threats to life, but as someone who pursues a beautiful death at times I feel I would stand my ground against anyone... And my confidence rubs off in what I create, that I, personally, am impressed with. I don't think my creation follows any major trends bar the alphabet, but only a few of my ideas may be original. This is what separates 1998-mentality to 2015-mentality; confidence in yourself, not by anyone's standards. We miss even the fear of a freer world.

Like me and Edér but me and my Dad.

Also OP,

Name ways in which it could be more dark... I know of a few but then it would have to be perverse and sexual, it would have to be something that you didn't want, but wouldn't that displease people? Wouldn't you think people would be offended by malicious hard-hitting content ( as with some scenes in Grand Theft Auto )? If that's not the case which I'm not implying it is, only a fraction of it I believe, then again, names ways in which it can be darker and appeal to every dark mind...

Perverse and sexual darkness...

" You are on an island that's inhabited by sentient insects of all their disgusting kinds, "Mmmmmm" they say as they torment, sensually and sexually, humans that were sent to hell in a past life. " O.O

Edited by s13ep

King of Kings

Lord of Lords

Anyone want to buy my Signed Collector's Edition? Still sealed, new in box!

I would love to-- are you still offering it? I was not able to join the Kickstarter (you know how life and finances can be!), but am beyond in love with this game!

James

Agree with your words 100% Thor...

My CE still unopened and awaiting my discs so I can sell it. Promised much, but guess ultimately I guess it's my own fault for having the expectations I had.

Like mentioning elsewhere- I'm an interested party! I was not able to kickstart, and would love to own a complete copy.

James

Anyone want to buy my Signed Collector's Edition? Still sealed, new in box!

I would love to-- are you still offering it? I was not able to join the Kickstarter (you know how life and finances can be!), but am beyond in love with this game!

James

you might want to PM him, in case he doesn't stay tuned to this thread

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat: