Deeply disappointed with Obsidian

Boxed games are over.  I got the WASTELAND 2 one and it sits in a drawer somewhere. I have PoE coming at some point, but I don't even care about it. From now on it's digital only.

Since I just wrote about in length elsewhere, might as well post some notes on what I perceived as flaws in the story and execution here. I think when people call the plot "shallow", they're referring to these issues. Very minor spoilers within, so be warned.

One big problem with the game is that the gameworld feels rather static and unresponsive. Time and again, the player gets caught up in major events of the region, which in their passing leave nary a sign of having ever occurred. At one point, fighting erupts on the streets of one of the cities, with wanton killing and destruction all about. However, a few gamedays later there will be no sign of any of this having ever occurred; All buildings previously put to flames have been restored, and one is hard-pressed to find an NPC that will as much as acknowledge the event with a single line of dialogue. This is a recurring trend.

The same shallowness troubles the reputation system. The game tracks both the player's reputation with individual factions, like in Fallout: New Vegas, and their perceived disposition: does the player behave benevolently or cruelly, logically or passionately, and so on. Unlike in New Vegas, however, aside from a few odd questlines the player's faction reputation doesn't ultimately figure into much anything. One can be bitterly hated by a given faction, and they will still treat you just as courteously as ever. Favouring one faction over another often feels purely a RP choice, as it rarely has any actual consequences. The same is true with the disposition reputation: While NPCs will often note on the player's reputation, this seldom affects the options you have in interacting with them.

Then there is the stronghold. While one would think that being the lord of your own castle who collects taxes and commands their own force would somehow affect the progression of the story, the fact is barely even acknowledged by the inhabitants of the gameworld, and ultimately developing your holding or failing to do so doesn't affect the progression of the story in any way at all. This is fairly disappointing after Obsidian's Neverwinter Nights 2, where the like stronghold played a significant role in the story. The likely reason for this is that the stronghold was a stretchgoal in the Kickstarter, and the devs didn't know for sure if it was going to be in the game until fairly late in the development. The same reason likely contributes to the poor faction dynamics: Too many elements of the gameworld were just tagged on in the course of the development, with no overarching plan for them from the start.

Finally, there is the issue of the player being the Watcher. The idea here clearly draws from Planescape: Torment, in which the player had lived multiple previously lives now largely forgotten. However, whereas in Torment the player continuously ran into the deeds of his former selves, in PoE this never happens outside the fairly narrow critical path. Troublingly, the game treats the player having memories of past lives as a major deal, and them risking to overwhelm the player's sanity is supposed to be a motivation for pursuing the main quest in the first place. As there is a lot of content in the game, the end result is the whole affair feeling increasingly trivial: The player goes about doing thing completely unrelated to their condition, then suddenly the critical path kicks in for a little while again and the player deals with deeply personal issues, which are again promptly forgotten for another 10 hours of gameplay.

Very minor spoilers within, so be warned.

One big problem with the game is that the gameworld feels rather static and unresponsive. Time and again, the player gets caught up in major events of the region, which in their passing leave nary a sign of having ever occurred. At one point, fighting erupts on the streets of one of the cities, with wanton killing and destruction all about. However, a few gamedays later there will be no sign of any of this having ever occurred; All buildings previously put to flames have been restored, and one is hard-pressed to find an NPC that will as much as acknowledge the event with a single line of dialogue. This is a recurring trend.

First off, let me start off by saying that I very much enjoyed this game. I loved the writing and there were some very memorable moments - I loved the Sanitarium for example. I do think this point of yours offers some fair criticism. It made my own undertakings sometimes feel detached from my surroundings. However, this has been a gripe I've had with most - if not all cRPG's - including BG series - which offer this amount of freedom. The more freedom you offer a player, the more difficult it becomes to implement this. Even in TES games, this has proven very difficult and I'd even dare say that their attempt at "Radiant story" was far from successful. That being said, it would have been nice if some attempts were made. For example, they could have split up the game in two or three VERY distinct regions and changed the content - if only slightly - in each of those regions depending on player choices. That would make the game more immersive while avoiding many possible bugs/incompatibilities. This would also make intertwined story arcs stretching over multiple regions a lot more feasible.

Then again, this is still very much a possibility for a future expansion or DLC. I hope Obsidian does consider this in the future. I think the fact that this project started from a kickstarter campaign was both a blessing as a curse. They improved where they could improve, but they played it very safe as to not touch the core experience people were expecting. Maybe a DLC will make some more bold changes and we will see more dynamic questing. Again, this would be rather revolutionary in my opinion. Very few cRPG's have done this succesfully, outside of some superficial content.

The same shallowness troubles the reputation system. The game tracks both the player's reputation with individual factions, like in Fallout: New Vegas, and their perceived disposition: does the player behave benevolently or cruelly, logically or passionately, and so on. Unlike in New Vegas, however, aside from a few odd questlines the player's faction reputation doesn't ultimately figure into much anything. One can be bitterly hated by a given faction, and they will still treat you just as courteously as ever. Favouring one faction over another often feels purely a RP choice, as it rarely has any actual consequences. The same is true with the disposition reputation: While NPCs will often note on the player's reputation, this seldom affects the options you have in interacting with them.

Then there is the stronghold. While one would think that being the lord of your own castle who collects taxes and commands their own force would somehow affect the progression of the story, the fact is barely even acknowledged by the inhabitants of the gameworld, and ultimately developing your holding or failing to do so doesn't affect the progression of the story in any way at all. This is fairly disappointing after Obsidian's Neverwinter Nights 2, where the like stronghold played a significant role in the story. The likely reason for this is that the stronghold was a stretchgoal in the Kickstarter, and the devs didn't know for sure if it was going to be in the game until fairly late in the development. The same reason likely contributes to the poor faction dynamics: Too many elements of the gameworld were just tagged on in the course of the development, with no overarching plan for them from the start.

I don't think the comparison with F:NV is accurate. What happens if you pick one faction in F:NV? It essentially just means that the other faction will attack you and you will have different quests. It's a noticeable change considering it's a very action heavy game, but it's a lot more superficial than you give it credit for. You also can choose to benefit a faction near the end of the game if I'm not mistaken, but the entire execution of the main storyline remains largely intact no matter what faction you go for. The faction Quest lines are a lot more fleshed out, that's true, but that's not the comparison you were making.

About the stronghold, I like that it doesn't play an important role within the main story. Part of what makes a game like this great, just like with the Baldur's Gate series, is the amount of optional quests. I loved having a project I could go to when I needed a change of scenery. Building out my Stronghold, doing the Endless Paths and some bounties really helped enhance the illusion of freedom, which was a big plus for me. One of the reasons why I loved BG1 more than BG2 was the fact that I had more freedom to explore in BG1, having a base with it's own development arc from which I can go exploring, was something I very much enjoyed.

Finally, there is the issue of the player being the Watcher. The idea here clearly draws from Planescape: Torment, in which the player had lived multiple previously lives now largely forgotten. However, whereas in Torment the player continuously ran into the deeds of his former selves, in PoE this never happens outside the fairly narrow critical path. Troublingly, the game treats the player having memories of past lives as a major deal, and them risking to overwhelm the player's sanity is supposed to be a motivation for pursuing the main quest in the first place. As there is a lot of content in the game, the end result is the whole affair feeling increasingly trivial: The player goes about doing thing completely unrelated to their condition, then suddenly the critical path kicks in for a little while again and the player deals with deeply personal issues, which are again promptly forgotten for another 10 hours of gameplay.

Again, I think this is symptomatic for games which offer players the freedom to quest around as they please. It's something which really doesn't bother me, but I can understand that it does for some people. I prefer it like this because otherwise I'd feel rushed to get content done, a bit like in Divinity Original Sin. Something I severly disliked. There were some mentions of this struggle though, probably more than in the BG series. Both BG1 and BG2 also featured a storyline which had "urgent matters" which you could attend to at your own leisure. I don't mind at all, it allows players to explore content at their own pace.

Finally, I'd like to say that I really love the gritty nature of this game. However, I would disagree that both BG1 & 2 were less dark. The main quests and most larger quests were all very gritty in those games. Lots of death, despair and torture. I do agree that they had more humour within dialogues and minor sidequests to offset this and provide a bit of balance though, however I think most people don't quite remember how dark many of the storylines were because the game looked a lot more "cartoonish" than this one.

Edited by Ivonbeton

Again, I think this is symptomatic for games which offer players the freedom to quest around as they please. It's something which really doesn't bother me, but I can understand that it does for some people. I prefer it like this because otherwise I'd feel rushed to get content done, a bit like in Divinity Original Sin. Something I severly disliked. There were some mentions of this struggle though, probably more than in the BG series. Both BG1 and BG2 also featured a storyline which had "urgent matters" which you could attend to at your own leisure. I don't mind at all, it allows players to explore content at their own pace.

I should probably mention that my view of the game is overall very positive, despite the gripes outlined above. They do, however, in my view make the game feel like little more than a sum of its parts. Especially with regard to the Watcher issue: As said, Planescape: Torment featured a very similar theme of previous lives, but in that game -- which I'd argue has no less freedom of play -- it was incorporated into every corner of the game: Wherever you went, you were likely to find traces of the deeds of your former selves -- at least if you took the time to dig around a little. This could've been done with PoE, as well, with even greater a justification: As there is no limit to the amount of possible past lives, why should the Watcher only ever experience flashbacks from a single one, and then only when treading the critical path?

What I would've likely to have seen was any number of mundane events triggering memories from various former lives. This could've provided the player with quest-related information, or simply give a first-hand view into the history of the gameworld to flesh it out. The visions could've been at times overbearing, so as to provide the motivation for the Watcher to seek to be rid of them the dialogue already implies to be there. Them only triggering when following Thaos' trail if anything only strikes me as a motivation NOT to do so, as the Watcher seems perfectly fine while pursuing other matters.

I don't think the comparison with F:NV is accurate. What happens if you pick one faction in F:NV? It essentially just means that the other faction will attack you and you will have different quests. It's a noticeable change considering it's a very action heavy game, but it's a lot more superficial than you give it credit for. You also can choose to benefit a faction near the end of the game if I'm not mistaken, but the entire execution of the main storyline remains largely intact no matter what faction you go for. The faction Quest lines are a lot more fleshed out, that's true, but that's not the comparison you were making.

I disagree that the faction system in F:NV would've been as simple as picking one faction and having the rest go hostile. Like in PoE, both good and bad reputation was tracked and these didn't cancel, and the reaction of individual faction members depended on the interplay. Some would care only that you had done the faction more good than harm; some having done the faction any harm was reason enough for hostility; and the attitude of some would depend on the reputation of the Courier with other factions, being positive if you had harmed their enemies and negative if you had helped them. The important thing is that reputation worked as reputation should: NPCs reacted based on not only how you had treated them, but how you had treated others in the gameworld.

In PoE, NPC reactions (as far as I can tell) mostly just depend on the exact decisions you have made: Turning against the Doemenels in the trading company quest will sink your reputation to the bottom and trigger hostile encounters, but otherwise have no effect. Doing favours for the Dozens or the Knights will not get you any closer to them inviting you to the hearing; you will need to work through their quest lines regardless. This is what I mean by the reputation ultimately feeling like just flavouring: Aside from the occasional remark, and the rare dialogue option from positive reputation, it has little consequence with regard to the player's interactions with NPCs. The whole system could be scrapped and little would change.

Edited by Sad Panda

I disagree that the faction system in F:NV would've been as simple as picking one faction and having the rest go hostile. Like in PoE, both good and bad reputation was tracked and these didn't cancel, and the reaction of individual faction members depended on the interplay. Some would care only that you had done the faction more good than harm; some having done the faction any harm was reason enough for hostility; and the attitude of some would depend on the reputation of the Courier with other factions, being positive if you had harmed their enemies and negative if you had helped them. The important thing is that reputation worked as reputation should: NPCs reacted based on not only how you had treated them, but how you had treated others in the gameworld.

I don't know anything about the mechanics involved when it comes to compare FNV to POE. My personal impression, and I've played FNV to death, is that the outcome and effects were not that different. If you didn't go out of your way to kill legionaires wherever you found them, they stayed neutral right to the very end. Same goes for the other factions involved. Just the same as with Defiance Bay you could do their quests without comitting yourself.

In fact, I'm pretty comfortable with how reputation works. Especially when it comes to the smaller villages where grapevines of your actions make the rounds. I also find the personal reputations to be working quite well. If you're known to be deceptive, at certain encounters people just won't believe you. Or you can talk your way out of a fight if you're known to be cruel.

The only gripe I have with this game is the non existent reactiveness to outside events of the game world. You can fight right under the noses of justicars and they don't give a damn in most instances. If you're attacked, you're game. Only if you do the attacking, they do react if they're close enough and I only encountered that once when I decided to put my observations to the test. That is in fact one of my most hated aspects of any game. If the NPCs don't react to violence under their noses it's a major immersion breaker for me, since it shows them to be just extras idling around and not being part of a living breathing world.

There are games that have that aspect under control. Most so called AAA titles don't as Bioware shows in their impressive negligence of gameplay. Skyrim was the only AAA title where it happens to a certain extent, but D:OS was the title where it was implemented in the most impressive way of any game I played within the last five or six years.

Believe me, I can understand your frustration very well...

But this is basicly what you're up to when supporting a kickstarter campaign. You take all risk, knowing that you do not get your money's worth of stuff out of it. Ever. Because that's not what kickstarter is for. It's about supporting an idea and helping it become a reality.

And it did. Be happy that most of your money went into the production of the game, not into the production of additional goodies. Thanks to guys like you, this game has actually become a reality.

Tell your disappointment the thousands of people out there that supported games and products that never actually saw the light of day and never saw a refund.

The bottom line is: It could have been worse. Really. You didn't like the game; which is fine. But at least you got an actual game.

Edited by Zwiebelchen

Today, finally, after many emails with support and threatens to denounce Obsidian I received my collector's edition (In June!!!).

A big pretty ... half empty box ... After opening I asked myself: this is what I paid 140$?

I can hardly describe in words my current mood.

I get it is bad of Obsidian to deliver the physical goods 2 months late, but don't you get everything you paid for?

Why a half empty box is worth complaining about? Any physical goods promised missing?

Would you be happier if Obsidian delivers a smaller box so it will be full?

I should probably mention that my view of the game is overall very positive, despite the gripes outlined above. They do, however, in my view make the game feel like little more than a sum of its parts. Especially with regard to the Watcher issue: As said, Planescape: Torment featured a very similar theme of previous lives, but in that game -- which I'd argue has no less freedom of play -- it was incorporated into every corner of the game: Wherever you went, you were likely to find traces of the deeds of your former selves -- at least if you took the time to dig around a little. This could've been done with PoE, as well, with even greater a justification: As there is no limit to the amount of possible past lives, why should the Watcher only ever experience flashbacks from a single one, and then only when treading the critical path?

What I would've likely to have seen was any number of mundane events triggering memories from various former lives. This could've provided the player with quest-related information, or simply give a first-hand view into the history of the gameworld to flesh it out. The visions could've been at times overbearing, so as to provide the motivation for the Watcher to seek to be rid of them the dialogue already implies to be there. Them only triggering when following Thaos' trail if anything only strikes me as a motivation NOT to do so, as the Watcher seems perfectly fine while pursuing other matters.

Small point, but: - there's a difference between an Awakened Soul and a Watcher - the Watcher aspect allows you to see other people's souls/memories - the Awakened Soul is the one where your own past-self is encroaching on your present.  The PC has both - but the awakened memories pertain to that one past-self, not all (as is 'usual' for an awakened soul).  It makes sense that the memories are triggered as you cross Thaos' path.

It's implied that like a certain NPC you meet, you can go mad from having too many (but in his case, there were specific circumstances to his Awakening and madness due to the nature of the past lives)  (Tricky keeping this spoiler free, hopefully you know which one I mean).

Having said that - I agree that more could have been done to make it 'pressing' for you to track down your quarry as it didn't seem disturbing at all to the PC to be in this 'predicament' - perhaps an occasional 'madness' malus/bonus combo kicking in (having an ability locked-out + replaced by another for a single battle) or a surge in might at the expense of resolve (not overdone though, as that'd get annoying and make a mess of our build choices).

Edited by Silent Winter

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Small point, but: - there's a difference between an Awakened Soul and a Watcher - the Watcher aspect allows you to see other people's souls/memories - the Awakened Soul is the one where your own past-self is encroaching on your present.  The PC has both - but the awakened memories pertain to that one past-self, not all (as is 'usual' for an awakened soul).  It makes sense that the memories are triggered as you cross Thaos' path.

It's implied that like a certain NPC you meet, you can go mad from having too many (but in his case, there were specific circumstances to his Awakening and madness due to the nature of the past lives)  (Tricky keeping this spoiler free, hopefully you know which one I mean).

I don't have a save game from which I could check, but I recall that certain someone stating that being Awakened is a prerequisite to being a Watcher -- though whether or not you want to regard them as a reliable source is another matter, of course. In the case of the PC this at least holds true, as they didn't have the ability to see into the souls of others until their awakening. Or to look at it from another angle, it'd be odd if the Watcher had the ability to perceive the souls of others, but not their own.

Whether one needs to be Awakened to become a Watcher, or one automatically becomes the former upon becoming the latter, it doesn't look like you can be a Watcher without also being Awakened. The reverse doesn't hold true, however: there are plenty people who are "only" Awakened. They are rarely seen as having been overwhelmed by their past lives, and indeed this isn't treated as any great concern even in the case of characters close to the PC. Being a Watcher, meanwhile, is implied to carry a great risk of succumbing to madness, perhaps because their abilities also let their own past lives to emerge more easily.

I may be wrong, since I can't remember the exact dialogue. Regardless, I think it's a missed opportunity, as the past lives bubbling to the surface could've been used to better integrate the main story into the gameworld.

Edited by Sad Panda

I think the strength of the soul is important when dealing with both the Watcher and the Awakened aspects.  

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

I can sort of feel your pain. I so disliked the beta that I never bothered playing the release.

oh boy here we go.... Not even trying the full game because of a beta?  :getlost:

Hate to be rude but this is pretty ignorant imo. I can't remember how many times over the years I have tried a beta or alpha and it was average, only to try the full version and its fantastic.

Sounds like you are deluding yourself or just outright lying.  Apart from polish, there's probably 5% difference between a beta and final.

I can sort of feel your pain. I so disliked the beta that I never bothered playing the release.

oh boy here we go.... Not even trying the full game because of a beta?  :getlost:

Hate to be rude but this is pretty ignorant imo. I can't remember how many times over the years I have tried a beta or alpha and it was average, only to try the full version and its fantastic.

Sounds like you are deluding yourself or just outright lying.  Apart from polish, there's probably 5% difference between a beta and final.

between beta and full release, there is a good amount that is different... and in some ways the differences were not good or expected.  heck, pervasive  stacking bug were new with the release version o' the game.  never had a problem with reckless assault during the beta.  also, we weren't able to over-level in the beta as is possible in the full game.  that being said, as much as we disagree with more than a few o' gited1's frequent irrationalities, am thinking it were perfectly fair and reasonable for him to forgo poe based on the beta.  yeah, the developers has made many post release balance adjustments-- some good and some bad.  and heck, you got gifted1 mostly to blame for the addition o' flames o' devotion... freaking all the unnecessary balancing, rebalancing and bugs related to flames o' devotion got their origin with gifted's mewling desire for the poe paladin to have an ie analog to holy smite and he don't even play the actual game?  HA!  good on him... last laugh is his. regardless, playing the beta for months, and seeing the kinda changes obsidian were willing to make were more than just a fair shot for poe.  he didn't like the beta after months o' beta play?  that is more than fair.  differences 'tween beta and full is noteworthy, but folks like gifted1 got a reasonable clear notion o' poe from the beta.  

actual, we find gifted1 far more reasonable than the peoples who played the beta for months and genuine expected a complete different game at release.  the people expecting a mystical day 1 transformation were/are the nutters, not gifted1.  go figure.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

No, but they could have the delivered the kind of game the IE games were.

And they did.

Man, what an echo chamber of whine this forum has become since everyone who was happy with the end product went away to play the game...

• Like 3

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

No, but they could have the delivered the kind of game the IE games were.

And they did.

Man, what an echo chamber of whine this forum has become since everyone who was happy with the end product went away to play the game...

I like the game and I pop in every day to the forum to see what is being discussed.  Some of the discussions are great but it does seem as if lately there have been these threads trying to tell us how bad the game is.  Some of us try and voice a dissenting opinion.  The game is in my opinion better than the IE games.

• Like 8

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

I don't have a save game from which I could check, but I recall that certain someone stating that being Awakened is a prerequisite to being a Watcher -- though whether or not you want to regard them as a reliable source is another matter, of course. In the case of the PC this at least holds true, as they didn't have the ability to see into the souls of others until their awakening. Or to look at it from another angle, it'd be odd if the Watcher had the ability to perceive the souls of others, but not their own.

Whether one needs to be Awakened to become a Watcher, or one automatically becomes the former upon becoming the latter, it doesn't look like you can be a Watcher without also being Awakened. The reverse doesn't hold true, however: there are plenty people who are "only" Awakened. They are rarely seen as having been overwhelmed by their past lives, and indeed this isn't treated as any great concern even in the case of characters close to the PC. Being a Watcher, meanwhile, is implied to carry a great risk of succumbing to madness, perhaps because their abilities also let their own past lives to emerge more easily.

I may be wrong, since I can't remember the exact dialogue. Regardless, I think it's a missed opportunity, as the past lives bubbling to the surface could've been used to better integrate the main story into the gameworld.

I agree with that last point - just that it's not necessarily in the lore that it must.

Your PC is not the only one who fears the madness from an awakened soul (without being a watcher) - but wrong forum for more than a hint due to spoilers.

I'm just saying that watcher doesn't equal ALL (or even more than one of) your past lives being awakened.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

and heck, you got gifted1 mostly to blame for the addition o' flames o' devotion... freaking all the unnecessary balancing, rebalancing and bugs related to flames o' devotion got their origin with gifted's mewling desire for the poe paladin to have an ie analog to holy smite and he don't even play the actual game?  HA!  good on him... last laugh is his.

:lol: FoD is bugged?

I see the above statement posted fairly frequently but for the life of me I cant remember mewling for Smite. I whole heartedly mewled about Resting and Kill XP, but I cant recall doing more than just mentioning that I like Smite on my Paladin. I probably forgot. :shrugz: If Sawyer put FoD in the game "just for me", well then Im flattered that he would be thoughtful enough to do so. And last laugh? Im not sure what that means. Im pumped that PoE is a success for Obs but I cant do anything about bugs.

Im not sure what that means. Im pumped that PoE is a success for Obs but I cant do anything about bugs.

right back at you... got no idea what your final statement references.  regardless, gifted1 didn't like poe based on his beta play in spite o' getting the largely token changes he were asking for. so, hardy har har.  

kinda missing forest for the trees in any event.  in spite o' his irrationalities and inconsistencies, gited1 choosing not to play the release version based on his beta experience is curiously reasonable.

*zoom*

went right past ya?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I like the game and I pop in every day to the forum to see what is being discussed.  Some of the discussions are great but it does seem as if lately there have been these threads trying to tell us how bad the game is.  Some of us try and voice a dissenting opinion.  The game is in my opinion better than the IE games.

Better than some of them, in any case.

Then again, being better than IWD 1-2 isn't a high watermark to clear.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

right back at you... got no idea what your final statement references.  regardless, gifted1 didn't like poe based on his beta play in spite o' getting the largely token changes he were asking for. so, hardy har har.  

kinda missing forest for the trees in any event.  in spite o' his irrationalities and inconsistencies, gited1 choosing not to play the release version based on his beta experience is curiously reasonable.

*zoom*

went right past ya?

HA! Good Fun!

I guess it did. You seemed to be inferring that I derived some pleasure from FoD being put in for me and then me not playing the game, which I don't. So, hardy, har, har. I guess. shrugnz9.gif

lord knows we got no idea what is actual giving you pleasure, particularly in games.  we were hardly the only confused personage by the fan appeals for Kill XP... though the release o' the game would appear to have almost complete silenced the kill xp complainants.  as you is happy for obsidian success, you might take joy in discovering that a few o' your more vocal and ardent fellows demanding kill xp were actual enjoying the raedric hold portion o' the game, which is a particular noteworthy locale as save for some dungeons portion o' locale, virtual all combats were 'gainst kith and yielded 0 xp per corpse.  'course, to be fair, most such folks still found reasons to hate poe, but the kill xp claims were silenced with the granting o' the token.  huzzah.  that being said, we did see as a joke on Gromnir and those who did play the game that gifted1 would gets his "positive" change from the obsidians and still not wanna play the release.  there is a kinda irony, no? even so, what we quoted were as follows:

" And last laugh? Im not sure what that means. Im pumped that PoE is a success for Obs but I cant do anything about bugs."  

okie dokie.  last sentence is just a complete mess, but am guessing you kinda clarified what were your actual meaning.... sorta.

regardless, the actual point were that extended play o' the poe beta were more than fair and reasonable cause to be convincing a potential purchaser or player that the release would be entertaining... or that it would likely fail to entertain.   good on you, though incremental less good with each querulous post.

HA! Good Fun!