[v591] Elemental bonus talents do not apply to various elemental spells + abilities

Bubbles

Question

I noticed that certain spells and abilities are only partially or not at all affected by their corresponding elemental bonus talents. This includes:

For Priests:

Iconic Projection (also always bypasses DR)

For Druids/Mages:

Autumn's Decay (DoT portion)

Rot Skulls (AoE DoT)

Concelhaut's Corrosive Siphon (DoT portion)

Necrotic Lance (DoT portion)

-> Hypothesis: any damage where the tooltip states "Effects: x damage over y seconds" is not affected by elemental bonuses.

For Bards:

The Dragon Thrashed

Edited by Bubbles

5 answers to this question

Bubbles—If you don't have a saved game for this, I can easily provide one. However, I need more details on the bug(s). Feel free to PM me.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I think the easiest way will be to start a new character with 10 in all stats, say a wizard. Or to be safe, allocate all stat points but keep Might, Dexterity and Intellect at 10 so you don't skew offensive values and it is easier to see whether or not elemental talents work.

Bring the console in game with the ` key (below Esc and above Tab) and enter the following:

iroll20s

addexperiencetolevel 12

god

Then pick the spells mentioned in this thread and the 4 elemental talents and save.

To reproduce, someone with that save just needs to turn the caravan hostile and test the various spells, while comparing actual damage with the promised values.

Alright, I'd forgotten to check this thread.

I got four characters in the Black Hound common room, each with the mentioned spells and ready to level up and take the respective bugged elemental boost talent mentioned in the OP. Thus, you can check damage before level up and after level up and see that it is identical both in the log and in the floating damage numbers. Keep in mind that for the corrode spells, only the DoT portion seems to be bugged; the average for the initial direct damage seems to increase correctly after taking a talent.

Some of the damage is foe AoE; you have to start a fight in the common room to test that.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m27d9mxa6fhvlku/ecb2363b-fd38-45c8-9392-22444df07ee5%20quicksave.savegame?dl=0

Sample way of testing that the log and floaters are not bugged and that the DoT is indeed not being increased: cast Necrotic Lance at Durance (hope that you get a Hit attack, otherwise reload) and let the DoT expire. Note the amount of initital direct damage and Durance's health score after the attack.

Then, reload, level up, take spirit of decay, and repeat the cast. You will notice that Durance's health is only affected by the volume of the initial cast (For instance, if you do 41 damage + DoT without SoD, he has 390 health, and if you do 47 damage + DoT with SoD, he has 383 health).

If the DoT were being "stealth buffed" by SoD, Durance would have lost more health.

Edited by Bubbles