v591 do elemental bonus talents apply fully to grazes?

Bubbles

Question

I keep noticing grazes with elemental spells that do more damage than they should. For instance, I just saw a Chill Fog graze for 15.9 damage before DR, when the stated damage on Chill Fog was 16-23 (base 12-18) and I had only Secrets of Rime to boost the spell (character level 2). This is true across multiple characters and playthroughs.

One possibility -- the only one I can currently think of -- is that the 20% boost from elemental talents is fully applying to grazes instead of being halved.

Edited by Bubbles

3 answers to this question

I keep noticing grazes with elemental spells that do more damage than they should. For instance, I just saw a Chill Fog graze for 15.9 damage before DR, when the stated damage on Chill Fog was 16-23 (base 12-18) and I had only Secrets of Rime to boost the spell (character level 2). This is true across multiple characters and playthroughs.

One possibility -- the only one I can currently think of -- is that the 20% boost from elemental talents is fully applying to grazes instead of being halved.

why would it be halved ??  

Base_Roll *(1 + 0.2 - 0.5)  <> Base_Roll * (1 + 0.2 ) * 0.5 

additive <> multiplicative

(hit quality damage mods are additive for weapons and most spell damage calculations  -- only one case I'm aware of them being multiplicative for the protagonist AOE burn drain ability)

Edited by peddroelm
  • Like 1

WPNTVf7.jpg

Right, grazing with the elemental damage talent is a net -30% damage, not +20% damage divided by two. What's the character's Might? With an 18 Might you could be looking at -6% damage on a graze, which could easily return 15.9 damage from a base of 12-18.

• Like 1

Ah yes, makes perfect sense now. I assumed "a graze reduces damage by 50%" would be multiplicative, since otherwise grazes would get trivialized as characters and weapon enchantments increase in power (especially if they raise the level cap and introduce new enchantments). I guess that is what is actually happening. Cool, cool.

They really need to make crystal clear which modifiers are additive or multiplicative in game, because otherwise I am tempted to assume the option that seems most sensible to me (which is usually wrong).