Something's brewing.

• 4 weeks later...

Damn. Tough break Obsidian after a really good job on Stick of Truth.

Yeah, pretty much means no sale for me this time around. Obsidian were what made that game great.

I'm hoping for their next kickstarter sometime soon after the first expansion comes out, though. If there will be one :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, pretty much means no sale for me this time around. Obsidian were what made that game great.

I'm hoping for their next kickstarter sometime soon after the first expansion comes out, though. If there will be one :)

Pretty sure it was Matt and Trey that made the game great. Obsidian managed to get the engine to look exactly like the show, which won't change as Ubisoft has that engine now, so the look, story, and voices will have the same quality.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Pretty sure it was Matt and Trey that made the game great. Obsidian managed to get the engine to look exactly like the show, which won't change as Ubisoft has that engine now, so the look, story, and voices will have the same quality.

Actually no. Obsidian owns the engine and Ubisoft hasn't licenced it, so no they don't have engine and they will have to start from scratch.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Actually no. Obsidian owns the engine and Ubisoft hasn't licenced it, so no they don't have engine and they will have to start from scratch.

Well, not entirely. I'm sure Ubisoft will get the same access to the show's art assets and animations.

I don't mean to downplay Obsidian's work on the title, but the writing and visuals were like 90% of what was good about the game, and those were mostly South Park Studios work. Obsidian were mercenaries on this project, although mercenaries that were specifically chosen due to their track record.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Well, not entirely. I'm sure Ubisoft will get the same access to the show's art assets and animations.

I don't mean to downplay Obsidian's work on the title, but the writing and visuals were like 90% of what was good about the game, and those were mostly South Park Studios work. Obsidian were mercenaries on this project, although mercenaries that were specifically chosen due to their track record.

Which they will have to implement into a "new" engine. Not 100% sure if Ubisoft has access to those art assets that were created by Obsidian.

You don't mean to downplay, but you do. https://www.mobygames.com/game/xbox360/south-park-the-stick-of-truth/credits also disagrees with you. Seems to me there's quite many animation and art related job listed under Obsidian as well.  Also, even the best written game in the world won't be much fun to play if the programming and game design doesn't support it.

Hate the living, love the dead.

They would have access to the art assets. As publisher I'm pretty sure they own everything (except the engine).

The South Park guys brought a concept trailer to Obsidian to show them what they wanted the game to look and play like, Obsidian found a way to do that, but I don't doubt another studio could do it as well. Maybe not as well, but now the new studio has Obsidian's game to work off of.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, the new studio has Matt and Trey behind them, and Obsidian's previous work to show them the way, so unless they completely redo every system in the game and pull a Dragon Age Inquisition and replace them with terrible systems, Obsidian not developing it isn't going to mean its going to be a bad game. Hell, working with Obsidian for so long will likely have rubbed off on M&T and they'll be able to put out an even better game.

I would have preferred Obsidian do the sequel, but Mat and Trey's involvement is the deciding factor in my desire for it.

Devastatorsig.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

It looks like Obsidian's next crowdfunded game will not get on Kickstarter.

https://www.fig.co/about

The Advisory Board includes Brian Fargo, Tim Schafer, and Feargus.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/18/9169697/fig-kickstarter-equity-investment-games-outer-wilds-masi-oka

"Urquhart, Fargo and Schafer will each be spending time and energy to vet Fig projects ahead of time. Only then will they be allowed to go live on the service. Additionally, all three of their companies — Obsidian Entertainment, inXile Entertainment and Double Fine Productions — will use Fig to fund future titles."

So essentially, Fig is a Kickstarter-esque crowdfunding platform geared specifically towards game development while also providing the option of equity investment. 

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

So essentially, Fig is a Kickstarter-esque crowdfunding platform geared specifically towards game development while also providing the option of equity investment. 

The hurdles to becoming an investor are pretty high though, and only really feasible for persons living in the USA.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

They would have access to the art assets. As publisher I'm pretty sure they own everything (except the engine).

The South Park guys brought a concept trailer to Obsidian to show them what they wanted the game to look and play like,

I don't see why they'd own any of the art assets created by Obsidian as part of their work on the engine and game; those should all remain Obsidian's property.

Also, you got that wrong. Obsidian made a demo to show to Matt and Trey, to convince them that Obsidian was the company for the job. Specifically of Stan's house, including Randy playing Guitar Hero in his underwear. Matt and Trey were blown away, and the rest is history.

The South Park guys brought a concept trailer to Obsidian to show them what they wanted the game to look and play like,

I don't see why they'd own any of the art assets created by Obsidian as part of their work on the engine and game; those should all remain Obsidian's property.

Also, you got that wrong. Obsidian made a demo to show to Matt and Trey, to convince them that Obsidian was the company for the job. Specifically of Stan's house, including Randy playing Guitar Hero in his underwear. Matt and Trey were blown away, and the rest is history.

Matt and Trey approached them to do a demo because they were fans of their work, but SP Digital did a mock up video of what they wanted, Obsidian made it playable.

And I'm pretty sure its standard practice for the publisher to own what is produced while under contract, I may be wrong on that. But Matt and Trey made the maya models and such from the show available to Obsidian along with the animation files, so the new studio nailing the look shouldn't be too difficult with the same access.

Devastatorsig.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Mostly White March stuff. But towards the end Josh and Adam discuss future crowd funding and meeting with ownership to discuss their next Kickstarter/Fig project. Smart money is that it'll be PoE 2.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Not sure, but when I see Adam's face mention Fig, I don't see PoE 2 behind his eyes. Probably they just haven't decided yet. 

I hope so. I want them to say ... 'Fig it, let's do this'. Something new and innovative. Although the success of what's-their-name, DOS 2.0, might sway them back to KS. I don't want that, I want a Fig badge. 

All Stop. On Screen.