Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Should POE's Final release have been called "Early Access?"

Poll

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

Poll: Should the POE that was released have been more appropriately called and Early Access Game, rather than marketed as a finished product? (209 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the POE that was released have been more appropriately called and Early Access Game, rather than marketed as a finished product?

1. Yes (19 votes [8.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.68%

2. No (157 votes [71.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 71.69%

3. Don't Care (16 votes [7.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.31%

4. Should have been longer in development (27 votes [12.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7731 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

OK.

So so far approximately 20%

Good attempt at trying to twist the polls to fit your agenda, work in politics?  The fact of the matter is that almost 70% disagree with you and think it was a final product and almost 10% don't give a ****.  End of discussion.

it's a message board poll.  

what bala actual said were:

"So so far approximately 20% of POE customers consider that the game should either have been either:"

what follows the quoted material don't matter.  however, the suggestion that a self-serving poll on this board, a poll that has actual gone through revisions, is adequately representing the entirety o' poe customers such that we could make any guesses as to how 20% o' poe purchasers feel 'bout anything being discussed in this thread is laughable.  

this may come as a surprise to folks, but the message board population, particularly those who active respond in threads such as these, is unlikely to be representative o' the mythical Average Purchaser.  

and again, what we say in polls such as these is having negligible impact on any game publisher.  sales figures is far more relevant than silly message board polls.  could have 80% respondents complain o' poe stability at state o' release, but if such complaints is not reflected by reduced or slowed sales and if such concerns cannot be seen in decreased pre-orders for the expansion, then publishers is, quite reasonably, ignoring such complaints.  is noise.  complaints alone o' day 1 stability is sound and fury.  complain but continue to buy as before?  heck, the genesis poster actual tells us that he ignored reasonable opportunities for education regarding poe stability, and changed from being a person who intelligently avoided day 1 purchases o' gaming software to a foolish drone who did succumb to his nostalgia for bg, spitting in the face o' the many linked authors who cautioned him against intemperate and impulsive game purchasers, making of himself a... statistic.  

baladas should weep for a lost opportunity to meaningful chastise obsidian.  his steely resolve instead expressed in an impotent post release message board poll?  prudence is a cardinal virtue.  gluttony is a deadly sin.  o' tragedy indeed.  nevertheless, preach on, brother.  preach as a sinner and not as a saint. 

over-the-top?

HA! Good Fun! 

PrimeJunta

PrimeJunta

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4900 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

When I owned an Xbox and PS2 I also had a gaming PC.

During that time I used to buy games on release and I very rarely experienced the amount of bugs that are present in games nowdays as practically standard.

I did, and most of the ones I bought were in far worse shape than P:E was on release. A few were un-completable, even. Especially RPG's which are massively complex. 

Off the top of my head, some games from around then: The Witcher 1 had seriously screwed-up quests and iinnnnssssaaaannneeelllly long loading times. Vampire: Bloodlines had a broken main quest; you couldn't actually finish the game in the initial release version. NWN2 had seriously screwed-up quests, horrid, horrid camera controls, and performance that melted your video card with frankly pretty mediocre graphics. Morrowind had you stuck in geometry or falling through it, as did Gothic 2. All of these had regular crashes to desktop.

In other words, I believe your memory is tricking you. If you ended up enjoying the game, it's easy to forget such stuff. 

nipsen

nipsen

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 550 posts
  • Steam:retroquark

baladas should weep for a lost opportunity to meaningful chastise obsidian.  his steely resolve instead expressed in an impotent post release message board poll?  prudence is a cardinal virtue.  gluttony is a deadly sin.  o' tragedy indeed.  nevertheless, preach on, brother.  preach as a sinner and not as a saint. 

:D ...on the other hand. This here's a quote from the latest patch notes: "This update contains lots of great fixes and some cool paladin balance changes".

And it seems they're patching out a few of the flat ability score bonuses. After having replaced the scaling abilities with flat bonus scores, initially in order to balance the game more easily, to please the fans, etc. That's the kind of people who run the shop here.

abaris

abaris

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 559 posts

Morrowind had you stuck in geometry or falling through it, as did Gothic 2.

There are what I would call Bethesda bugs. They're virtually in every game they release. From Morrowind up to Skyrim. So, for example, the flying dead creature. Or the falling through the floor, or the NPC being stuck in some wall or furniture. There are people who compiled fun videos of all the bugs Skyrim contained on release. Watching them makes you rolling on the floor laughing.

Didn't play neither the Witcher nor the Gothic series because I don't like fixed player characters. For me that takes the R out of RPG.

Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 899 posts

"So so far approximately 20% of POE customers consider that the game should either have been either:"

this may come as a surprise to folks, but the message board population, particularly those who active respond in threads such as these, is unlikely to be representative o' the mythical Average Purchaser.  

There is so much truth in this.

The average message board mostly has people complaining. Because when something goes right, nobody posts about it. That's why gaming communities can be anal at times.

So It's safe to say that even less than 20% of the actual gamers think it's "early access".

Edited by Zwiebelchen, 03 June 2015 - 01:58 AM.

• Nakia likes this

Baladas

Baladas

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 295 posts

None of the bugs from here are fixed in 1.06

http://forums.obsidi...present-in-106/

http://forums.obsidi...atch-105/page-5

Endurance still bugged in 1.06:

http://forums.obsidi...half-endurance/

Also check this out:

http://www.rpgcodex....ent.php?id=9913

"All of this stuff -- class, abilities, weapons -- is important because I'd say 80% of the game is fighting."

So since the combat is the buggiest part of the game, along with the character bugs, ability bugs and weapons and items bugs, that means that at least 80% of the game is broken. Broken in this case meaning not working as the developers intended.

Add that to the quest bugs and other occasional glitch and you have a game that is ....

Completely finished and ready for release! *sarcasm*

No, really, you have a game that is not working as intended and is broken at least 80% of the time you are playing it whether you realize it or not.

majestic

majestic

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 985 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

None of the bugs from here are fixed in 1.06

http://forums.obsidi...present-in-106/

http://forums.obsidi...atch-105/page-5

Endurance still bugged in 1.06:

http://forums.obsidi...half-endurance/

Also check this out:

http://www.rpgcodex....ent.php?id=9913

"All of this stuff -- class, abilities, weapons -- is important because I'd say 80% of the game is fighting."

So since the combat is the buggiest part of the game, along with the character bugs, ability bugs and weapons and items bugs, that means that at least 80% of the game is broken. Broken in this case meaning not working as the developers intended.

Add that to the quest bugs and other occasional glitch and you have a game that is ....

Completely finished and ready for release! *sarcasm*

No, really, you have a game that is not working as intended and is broken at least 80% of the time you are playing it whether you realize it or not.

I'm sure there's an anal-rentitive OCD anonymous group somewhere who would really like them to tell you their story, it's just that we certainly don't want to, in case that you missed the result of your poll entirely.

Edited by majestic, 05 June 2015 - 10:59 AM.

• abaris likes this

ilhdr

ilhdr

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I will made a poll: should Witcher 3 have gone Early Acess?

Luzeryn

Luzeryn

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

There is so much truth in this.

The average message board mostly has people complaining. Because when something goes right, nobody posts about it. That's why gaming communities can be anal at times.

So It's safe to say that even less than 20% of the actual gamers think it's "early access".

The average OFFICIAL message board mostly has people heralding the developers for how awesome they are, even if the game is a complete mess. Which is why even games like Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 had lots of people defending the game on the official site, even if it was absolute garbage and they had to spend millions to completely change it.

nipsen

nipsen

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 550 posts

The average OFFICIAL message board mostly has people heralding the developers for how awesome they are, even if the game is a complete mess. Which is why even games like Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 had lots of people defending the game on the official site, even if it was absolute garbage and they had to spend millions to completely change it.

..well. Usually, the best generalisation you can make over, say, forum feedback from eager and extremely interested and engaged people - is that you know you will get an overweight of opinions that are either categorically negative or categorically positive. And that most of the traffic will be short and not very well thought through ditto-opinion. Afterwards, it's easy to focus on that type of opinion, very easy to poll for it, or categorize it, etc. 

Similar to how political campaigning works, by the way :p

• oaktownbrown likes this

Wilhelm3891

Wilhelm3891

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I've not been checking the forums for a couple of months, playing PoE and The witcher 3. I didn't realize it has become such a bitter and whiny place.

Edit: No offence to anyone specifically in this thread, just happened to read on and post here.

Edited by Wilhelm3891, 13 June 2015 - 12:27 AM.

Luzeryn

Luzeryn

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

..well. Usually, the best generalisation you can make over, say, forum feedback from eager and extremely interested and engaged people - is that you know you will get an overweight of opinions that are either categorically negative or categorically positive. And that most of the traffic will be short and not very well thought through ditto-opinion. Afterwards, it's easy to focus on that type of opinion, very easy to poll for it, or categorize it, etc. 

Similar to how political campaigning works, by the way :p

No feedback should get a negative response when it comes to bug fixes. The only reason you can be pissed about someone reporting bugs is because you are clearly a fanboy.

Just imagine someone being mad because someone has encountered a bug in Windows/OS X/Whatever and wants it to be fixed. It would be pathetic.

Edited by Luzeryn, 13 June 2015 - 01:04 AM.

nipsen

nipsen

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 550 posts

No feedback should get a negative response when it comes to bug fixes. The only reason you can be pissed about someone reporting bugs is because you are clearly a fanboy.

Just imagine someone being mad because someone has encountered a bug in Windows/OS X/Whatever and wants it to be fixed. It would be pathetic.

Well, that's a series of sound assumptions to make about how things would or should work. But unfortunately none of them are correct. So the conclusion, while very alluring and reasonable, is also wrong. 

In all the betas I've been playing, the feedback after has been about 99% pointless bickering, about approximately 10% of the features in the game. The rest of the feedback, actual bug-reports, or something halfway useful, makes out a tiny fraction of the lexically recognizable words.

On top of that, developers rarely look for analyses of functionality, how well something actually works, how well or how bad the chosen design works. Because.. why would you? Gamers don't know anything about that.

So what you get in beta-tests, or what is most visible, is typically fights about what people who are extremely engaged in the game think will appeal to "most gamers", who they think their own opinion represents absolutely. And that makes you end up with things like the FF14 beta, where a bunch of folks think a collection of features might go somewhere and make out a great game. While others think it's crap. Or how the uniquely superb animation in Killzone 2 can be both incredible and game-changing, as well as part of a design-flaw of the like no gamer has ever seen, etc., etc.

(And I'm sure we still all see the similarities to how political campaigning works in practice. :p)

s13ep

s13ep

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 50 posts

The poll is unfair, imbalanced.

Also I haven't completed it yet, I've spent a lot of time reading the text, and I've noticed the re-playable aspects. I'm in act 2, and I was made to feel as if it was short by the achievements saying there's only a few acts. However, after I reconciled with myself I remembered story line is also part of the game, plus I'd probably complete it a few times to get all the story and the endings, etc.

FalloutBoy

FalloutBoy

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Funny poll. I played the entire game when it first came out and encountered no major bugs. Are you sure we played the same game?

• Nakia likes this

nipsen

nipsen

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 550 posts

Are you sure we played the same game?

Ahah.. Don't forget to use words like "delusional" and "unhinged" when describing those you disagree with, though. As, obviously, we all see exactly the same parts of the elephant in the room, when we're standing around it, and pointing and explaining, and so on.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Poll

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users