Numerous FIFA officials arrested

BruceVC

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/soccer/2015/05/27/fifa-officials-arrested-corruption-charges-extradition-united-states/27997783/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/27/fifa-officials-arrested-o_n_7447838.html

So up to 14 FIFA officials have been arrested in Zurich and will face extradition to the USA to face real charges of corruption around the awarding of the 2018 and 2022 world cup games

What do you guys think, do you think they see real jail time in the USA? Do you think FIFA is fundamentally corrupt ? 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Just pointing out that the arrests have nothing to do with the 2018 and 2022 World Cups. They are charges related to bribes taken during the 1990's and 2000's

That being said, World Cup in Qatar... seriously? Nobody can convince me that something didn't happen in the corridors when that deal was made.

• Like 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

But think of the rich football history of Qatar, the enthusiasm of its fans, the suitcases filled with unmarked bills handed over in shady parking lots...

• Like 3

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Just pointing out that the arrests have nothing to do with the 2018 and 2022 World Cups. They are charges related to bribes taken during the 1990's and 2000's

That being said, World Cup in Qatar... seriously? Nobody can convince me that something didn't happen in the corridors when that deal was made.

It seems to be a combination of charges but the Americans want them on the 2018 and 2022 world cup corruption charges 

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/27/football/fifa-corruption-charges-justice-department/?section=money_news_international

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It seems to be a combination of charges but the Americans want them on the 2018 and 2022 world cup corruption charges 

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/27/football/fifa-corruption-charges-justice-department/?section=money_news_international

No Bruce, that's incorrect.  The US charges are related to awarding of the 2010 world cup,  the 2011 FIFA presidential election and the TV and marketing rights for 2014 (and other specific charges) The 2018 or 2022 world cups are not mentioned in the charges.  The CNN article  and several others state that the Swiss are conducting a separate investigation into the awarding of the 2018 and 2022  world cups. 

Here's the summary from the US Justice Department

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/nine-fifa-officials-and-five-corporate-executives-indicted-racketeering-conspiracy-and

Looks like the folks below have already submitted guilty pleas (as part of plea deals) -

• Charles Blazer, the long-serving former general secretary of CONCACAF and former U.S. representative on the FIFA executive committee waived indictment and pleaded guilty to a 10-count information charging him with racketeering conspiracy, wire fraud conspiracy, money laundering conspiracy, income tax evasion and failure to file a Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR)
  • Jose Hawilla,  the owner and founder of the Traffic Group, a multinational sports marketing conglomerate headquartered in Brazil, waived indictment and pleaded guilty to a four-count information charging him with racketeering conspiracy, wire fraud conspiracy, money laundering conspiracy and obstruction of justice
  • Daryll Warner,  son of defendant Jack Warner and a former FIFA development officer, waived indictment and pleaded guilty to a two-count information charging him with wire fraud and the structuring of financial transactions. 
  • Daryn Warner waived indictment and pleaded guilty to a three-count information charging him with wire fraud conspiracy, money laundering conspiracy and the structuring of financial transactions. 
  • Traffic Sports USA Inc. and Traffic Sports International Inc. (pleaded guilty to wire fraud conspiracy)
Edited by kgambit
  • Like 3

Bruce... read the stuff you link to :grin:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

No Bruce, that's incorrect.  The US charges are related to awarding of the 2010 world cup,  the 2011 FIFA presidential election and the TV and marketing rights for 2014 (and other specific charges) The 2018 or 2022 world cups are not mentioned in the charges.  The CNN article  and several others state that the Swiss are conducting a separate investigation into the awarding of the 2018 and 2022  world cups. 

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/nine-fifa-officials-and-five-corporate-executives-indicted-racketeering-conspiracy-and

Looks like the folks below have already submitted guilty pleas (as part of a plea deals) -

• Charles Blazer, the long-serving former general secretary of CONCACAF and former U.S. representative on the FIFA executive committee waived indictment and pleaded guilty to a 10-count information charging him with racketeering conspiracy, wire fraud conspiracy, money laundering conspiracy, income tax evasion and failure to file a Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR)
  • Jose Hawilla,  the owner and founder of the Traffic Group, a multinational sports marketing conglomerate headquartered in Brazil, waived indictment and pleaded guilty to a four-count information charging him with racketeering conspiracy, wire fraud conspiracy, money laundering conspiracy and obstruction of justice
  • Daryll Warner, son of defendant Jack Warner and a former FIFA development officer son of defendant Jack Warner and a former FIFA development officer, waived indictment and pleaded guilty to a two-count information charging him with wire fraud and the structuring of financial transactions. 
  • Daryn Warner waived indictment and pleaded guilty to a three-count information charging him with wire fraud conspiracy, money laundering conspiracy and the structuring of financial transactions. 
  • Traffic Sports USA Inc. and Traffic Sports International Inc. (pleaded guilty to wire fraud conspiracy)

Okay I'm wrong, so its the Swiss doing the 2018 and 2022 corruption charges. Thanks for clarifying  :thumbsup:

John Milton 

Rather amused at people outraged over corruption in Qatar when probably every country's WC involved bribery. But I suppose this is a good thing.

I think they should give it to Australia instead.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I so love to see corrupt people being publically hanged, drawn and quartered. Actually this is far better than the World Cup itself. :)

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Looks like the folks below have already submitted guilty pleas (as part of a plea deals) -

• Daryll Warner, son of defendant Jack Warner and a former FIFA development officer son of defendant Jack Warner and a former FIFA development officer, waived indictment and pleaded guilty to a two-count information charging him with wire fraud and the structuring of financial transactions. 

Okay I'm wrong, so its the Swiss doing the 2018 and 2022 corruption charges. Thanks for clarifying  :thumbsup:

In fairness, the US would probably be doing the 2018/22 WC charges as well, but they have no jurisdiction on those.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

Rather amused at people outraged over corruption in Qatar when probably every country's WC involved bribery. But I suppose this is a good thing.

Yep, though Qatar is definitely an outlier, decision wise. You hardly ever hear about Germany winning in shady circumstances for 2006 any more, but it happened. Our delegate voted against the instructions of his confederation for Germany instead of Seff Effrica and the margin was 1 vote between the two- if he'd obeyed instruction the Brucies could have destroyed the world's ear drums with their droning plastic trumpets four years earlier.

Kind of ironic (or maybe illustrative, depending on view) though, the other major international organisation with bribery claims (IOC) mainly had them over awarding venues to Salt Lake City and Atlanta; slightly different from Brazil/ Russia/ Qatar albeit of all of those Qatar is the only real and genuine wtf decision. Britain and Australia not doing well wasn't surprising despite what the media said, a lot of people really didn't like their casual anglocentricism and both came last in their ballots and were not even close.

Edited by Zoraptor

FIFA is corrupt? Wow, say it ain't so. (Consider this delivered in an even tone of voice that conveys no hint of actual surprise)

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It's interesting to me how so many are happy to accept "sure, FIFA are totally corrupt" but aren't willing to see that just about every top level pro is also doped to the gills. Frankly, they'd have to be idiots not to do it given the rewards for doing so, and the complete absence of consequences. For those who have reached a high enough level of celebrity, there's not even the slightest fear of being caught, having complete immunity due to commercial and political interests. It's no surprise that every major scandal originates from an investigation from the outside which have no investment in sports, be it the police, the FBI, etc.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I think they should give it to Australia instead.

Qatar just makes it blatantly obvious how bad it is though. We're talking about a country with atrotious slave labor work standards and weather that isn't exactly healthy for a World Cup game.

To put things in perspective, controversies with the 2022 bid have their own wikipedia article, and it's pretty sizeable in it's number of issues: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2022_FIFA_World_Cup_controversies

Despite all of this, these people saw fit to make it Qatar? Yeah ok...

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I don't think Qatar was the issue here, at least for the US government, I'm pretty sure Russia is gonna lose it's spot as the next host.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

http://www.fourthofficial.com/football/south-africa-slammed-bribery-allegations/

So South Africa has also been implicated in this scandal, we apparently paid a $ 10 million bribe to host the 2010 World Cup

This really needs to investigated and I'm am looking forward to the findings

John Milton 

I don't think Qatar was the issue here, at least for the US government, I'm pretty sure Russia is gonna lose it's spot as the next host.

Yes corruption cannot be condoned Sarex...if bribes were indeed paid by certain people  to ensure that the World Cup is held in there countries then the vote needs to be help again in those countries to see if they are the best candidates 

Mother Russia will survive Sarex, no need to worry. They just may lose the 2018 World Cup 

John Milton 

http://www.fourthofficial.com/football/south-africa-slammed-bribery-allegations/

So South Africa has also been implicated in this scandal, we apparently paid a $ 10 million bribe to host the 2010 World Cup

I don't mean to sound aggressive, but you are CLEARLY on some sort pf prescription drugs. I only mention this in case you didn't realise you were, and that woman with the twitch who cleans your house isn't making oddly metallic tasting soup by mistake.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I don't mean to sound aggressive, but you are CLEARLY on some sort pf prescription drugs. I only mention this in case you didn't realise you were, and that woman with the twitch who cleans your house isn't making oddly metallic tasting soup by mistake.

No I didn't realize I was.,..,.but now I know I am  :biggrin:

John Milton 

Not going to happen. It's too late both in terms of getting bids redone/ reholding the vote and in terms of having a sound legal basis for it ie getting the robust legal case and convictions for corruption necessary to stop them getting sued to oblivion by Russia, Blatter would have to go anyway (and seemingly nobody seems to think he actually will be voted out, though he is... not great, to say the least) plus Russia was not a very controversial choice in the wider world- and unlike in most things Europe and the US doesn't get much especial privilege in FIFA any more, one of its few governmental bright spots. Qatar on the other hand... its main opponents were the US and members of its own asian confederation, it's annoyed the big euro leagues by having its WC have to be played in the middle of normal league time and some important sponsors (ie beer) won't even be able to sell their product at the tournament. That's the sort of stuff the power brokers really care about, far more than Qatar evil subcontractors working Nepalis to death or Dave Cameron becoming a quivering jelly at the thought of Vladimir Vladimovich's pectorals.

• Like 1