No longer have to sneak to find secrets?

Give it a rest, manageri.  Your arguments in this are really pathetic.  If you don't have the patience to deal with scouting a room, even in fast mode, then maybe you're playing the wrong game.  Maybe you should go play speed chess or something similar.

In other words you have no arguments left. Kthxbai.

But there is a downside, you have to search for them. If you don't want to do it - you don't get them all. You either roll with that or do what is necessary to get them. it's a pretty simple choice about the way you want to play your game.

Again I feel the need to point out that YOU don't search for secrets, the characters do that as long you put them in scouting mode. If pushing one button to find all secrets seems interesting, challenging, or in any other way a meaningful gameplay mechanic for you, then I really don't know what to say. Might as well have an "efficient combat mode" button that you have to remember to push before every fight or all your stats get cut in half. Super boring checklist bull**** is all it is.

We're not talking about the kind of secret searching you have in games like Legend of Grimrock where YOU actually have to find the secret switches in the wall and click on them. In such scenarios the slowdown comes naturally because YOU are making an effort to look for stuff. To enforce a slowdown ON THE PLAYER (because the slowdown is 100% irrelevant to the characters) is basically cargo cult game design that entirely misses the point.

This "A character does not need to be in Stealth/Search mode to detect traps that are 4 Mechanics difficulties lower that the skill score" should be an option in the menu, actually. I dont like it at all.

I actually don't mind it as it implies a sense of progression that ur good enough at detecting traps that u eventually get good enough that u can spot some even without searching for them.

It's like in d20 games where at low levels u have to actively roll the search/spot/perception to find a trap but eventually get good enough where u can just take 10 while questing and be able to spot them.

Give it a rest, manageri.  Your arguments in this are really pathetic.  If you don't have the patience to deal with scouting a room, even in fast mode, then maybe you're playing the wrong game.  Maybe you should go play speed chess or something similar.

In other words you have no arguments left. Kthxbai.

But there is a downside, you have to search for them. If you don't want to do it - you don't get them all. You either roll with that or do what is necessary to get them. it's a pretty simple choice about the way you want to play your game.

Again I feel the need to point out that YOU don't search for secrets, the characters do that as long you put them in scouting mode. If pushing one button to find all secrets seems interesting, challenging, or in any other way a meaningful gameplay mechanic for you, then I really don't know what to say. Might as well have an "efficient combat mode" button that you have to remember to push before every fight or all your stats get cut in half. Super boring checklist bull**** is all it is.

We're not talking about the kind of secret searching you have in games like Legend of Grimrock where YOU actually have to find the secret switches in the wall and click on them. In such scenarios the slowdown comes naturally because YOU are making an effort to look for stuff. To enforce a slowdown ON THE PLAYER (because the slowdown is 100% irrelevant to the characters) is basically cargo cult game design that entirely misses the point.

You must have a different game than I do - putting my characters in scouting mode just makes them get quiet and hunch down - if I want to find anything that they are not standing on top of I have to move them - I have to choose where to move them and which ones to move - or not move - I have to direct every single phase of moving them - on the other hand that's exactly what I want to do and I want to do it SLOWLY just like I would if it was me walking around  in some new world trying to stay alive and find cool stuff and dangerous traps - so the way this game allows me to do that is just awesome.

You on the other seem to want to have your cake and eat it too - good luck with that.

• Like 2

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

I like it.  If scouting was always on, what would be the point of having secrets at all?  Usually there's something that tips you off when it might be a good time to scout.  And having the secrets and traps 4 points below your skill show up without scouting gives rogues a reason to push mechanics above 11.

• 8 months later...

Yeah, so you still have to sneak around everywhere all the time to find all secrets, which rather defeats the whole point of the change. Really wish they'd see reason and just eliminate the detection crap from scouting mode entirely and have it just be stealth.

Or you can bump up your Mechanics and roll with whatever you find, if you don't want to bother searching for secrets. It doesn't defeat the purpose of the change, the purpose is exactly to allow people who cba searching but have some Mechanics to find some stuff, while reserving other secrets for those who actually want to search for them.

Like pretty much all design choices in POE, this too was a stupid one. Incompetent designers. It's as if they love themselves and their "system" more than they have any idea of what the player experience is

Am I to understand that a smart design choice would be to have anything hidden light up like a Christmas tree the moment you step into the area?

Yes, the smart design choice would be to have the secret revealed if you get close enough, which means you still have to explore areas to find secrets, if you have high enough mechanics for that secret, meaning you still have to have invested in mechanics. This means you don't have to artificially slow down the game by going around in scouting mode everywhere for fear of missing a secret.

That would have been the best design choice.

• Like 1

Yes, the smart design choice would be to have the secret revealed if you get close enough, which means you still have to explore areas to find secrets, if you have high enough mechanics for that secret, meaning you still have to have invested in mechanics. This means you don't have to artificially slow down the game by going around in scouting mode everywhere for fear of missing a secret.

That would have been the best design choice.

Of course. 

If only it'd be possible to walk in this game (which would be faster than stealth crawling, yes?) and discover secrets.