Party gender preference?

Whatever is most mechanically effective.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

2 gals, 4 boys. However one of these two gals, my main character, is monk with strenght 19 intellect 15 and an ability to kill a dragon with barefists + I roleplay her as awesomely crazy character so I guess it's more like 4 gals 4 boys :D

If i got to chose id have 4 npcs males (barbarian,warrior, priest, rogue) and mainchar (paladin male) and calisca (as romance for my mainchar)

But i dont so i use pallegina and kana, aloth. I dont like to make my own npcs (except for main char)

If there had been no romance option with calisca i would still have kept her. Great voice acting and backstory.

Otherwise i prefer my "war taskforce" to be made out of men (women are weaker than men and to many women ruin the "suspend the disbelief" for me)

Edited by Tennisgolfboll

I'd probably go 3 guys, 3 gals.

In general I tend to prefer female characters because they look better in armor :)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

:dragon:  First let me make this clear I am a woman.  Second in Pillars of Eternity it makes absolutely no difference whether you or male or female.  Gender does not affect your stats.  Third I have known women in RL who are just as strong as men, not many true but some.  Fourth there are no romances in PoE  

PoE has eight pre-made companions, five male and three female.  When I hire an adventurer I toss a mental coin because it doesn't matter.  Same when I create my player character.  I am currently playing a male moon godlike with human body Ranger with a portrait I found in the Portrait thread is is great.  

This is a role playing game and I think it depends on what you are comfortable playing.

• Like 2

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

I havent run a custom party yet, but were i to do so i would go with following logic - Wood Elves get the accuracy bonus. -> Majority of party would be wood elves -> Elves emphasize femininity -> Majority of group would be female -> Also fits stylistically, while it is rather unlikely to find many warrior women looking to bash someone heads, it is not unlikely to have a group of  people of any gender from village X doing stuff together, like.. K-On :D with weapons.

I prefer the male voices in game, the sinister sounds like Batman from the Dark Knight trilogy.

When the character gets hit the female sound set sounds bad.

Other than the above I'd go with whatever fits for roleplaying considerations.

• Like 1

I play both male and female PCs. Unless I have something specific in mind for a playthrough, I usually pick a portrait I like and make up a character around it. Playing a female PC right now. My party is:
PC (f)
Eder (m)
Aloth (m)
Durance (m)
Pallegina (f) (I sometimes switch her for Kana (m))
Grieving Mother (f) (I sometimes switch her for Sagani (f))

Hiravias is my benchwarmer for this playthrough.

Nothing gold can stay.

I tend to not like male portraits in most games I play, and I also have two daughters, so I almost always play female characters (I'm male). So my party is all female. Wife thinks I'm crazy enough because I'm 50 and play video games. She just rolls her eyes at the characters.

• Like 1

I'd probably go 3 guys, 3 gals.

In general I tend to prefer female characters because they look better in armor :)

To be honest, with the cam zoomed out, which is how I play eighty percent of the time, I can't even tell. Like I switched a cape from one char to another, and had to keep remembering who was who. Also brigandine looks gaudy.

I tend to not like male portraits in most games I play, and I also have two daughters, so I almost always play female characters (I'm male). So my party is all female. Wife thinks I'm crazy enough because I'm 50 and play video games. She just rolls her eyes at the characters.

Sure you can find her sitting there with cosmo sometime and you'll be ready for your comeback.

I find I make pretty much 50/50 (on average) male and female chars in all games without even thinking about it, just depends on the character and stuff. In PoE I deliberately try to have maximum variety though simply because of the small amount of voice sets, so having both male and female chars helps you avoid the ones you like the least.

Not enough pre-made characters to have a preference. I haven't played with hired adventurers yet, but when I do, I'll pick portaits I like and start there. I usually end up with mixed parties in games like this, but without any fixed gender ratio. The only thing I never use is an all-male party. I have played with an all-female party before (not in Pillars).

If i got to chose id have 4 npcs males (barbarian,warrior, priest, rogue) and mainchar (paladin male) and calisca (as romance for my mainchar)

But i dont so i use pallegina and kana, aloth. I dont like to make my own npcs (except for main char)

If there had been no romance option with calisca i would still have kept her. Great voice acting and backstory.

Otherwise i prefer my "war taskforce" to be made out of men (women are weaker than men and to many women ruin the "suspend the disbelief" for me)

So, women can't be fighters, but you'll more than happily play out kissy face fantasies with them.

Did you also have a problem with Mad Max?

So, women can't be fighters, but you'll more than happily play out kissy face fantasies with them.

Did you also have a problem with Mad Max?

I have no problems. But im not enslaved by political correctness like most people are. I feel bad for them, they cant think for themselves and just repeat what they have been indoctrinated with.

I find it immersive breaking with to many women in the party. 6 100 - 150 pound women going up against all those enemies. Nah, feels like a comicbook for teenage boys drooling over Sheenas (never watched it, not sure about the name)

Why so angry about that, why is this a problem for you? Why cant you handle a different opinion than your own?

Madmax was a great movie. One long chase but what a thrill.

Edit: kissy face fantasies? Just how old are you?

Edited by Tennisgolfboll

I find it immersive breaking with to many women in the party. 6 100 - 150 pound women going up against all those enemies. Nah, feels like a comicbook for teenage boys drooling over Sheenas (never watched it, not sure about the name)

Nobody's forcing you to play 100 lbs warriors. There are no heigh and weight sliders, so we have to imagine some of the physical attributes of our characters. In any case, there are enemies in the game even large human males can't really compare to (for example ogres). Many feats of strength and endurance presented in video games would be utterly impossible in the real world regardless of the character's race or gender. If you prefer to play only human and aumaua male warriors, you have every right to do so, but it's only superficially realistic.

Besides, not all classes need physical prowess. Wizards, priests, ciphers, druids all rely on their mental faculties and/or religious devotion, rangers typically avoid direct confrontation (although bows require quite a lot of strength too) and rogues favor dexterity over raw strength (I'm not talking in terms of game attributes here). You also don't need to be a hulking brute to use a pistol...

Edited by Rosveen
  • Like 2

I got to admit, that while I disagree with you (being its a fantasy with magic and stuff so gender is kinda irrelevant), its nice to see Sheena name checked.

Sheena.jpg

(Yeah yeah, there was the 1950s & 2000s TV show and the Tanya Roberts movie, I'm trying to make a Golden Age Comic Book Reference here).

Unless you mean Xena (as in Xena, Warrior Princess) in which case, the reference is distinctly less interesting. :aiee:

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man