Can't interact with NPCs or objects

I've started the game today and am looking forward to it. Incredibly though, I cannot figure out how to interact with players or objects. I've tried using TAB key, right clicking, left clicking, alt- and ctrl- combined with each of those and many other tactics. I know I must be overlooking something incredibly easy, and yet I am not finding it. For example, I walk over to Heodan to check on equipment at the beginning of the game. I believe he wants to talk with me or trade with me, but how do I get that window to engage? I use the tab key and I see various boxes are highlighted. When I hover over one of them, there is a reference to Mechanics, but then I can't do anything more. When I hover over the other boxes, not even a reference to Mechanics. 

Would some kind soul please nudge me in the right direction?

you need to point your mouse at their feet (selection circle) .... same for targeting

a little later in the game you'll interact with a woman whose feet are .. um .. not touching the ground .. same deal with her; figure out where her feet would be touching the ground

Thanks for taking the time to reply, kickingbird. Oh, I was clicking aplenty on their feet. It turned out, as Sylph suggested, that I mysteriously had no key mapping for key interaction activities. Everything is all better now.