Irish set to legalize same-sex marriage

BruceVC

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32856232

So its old news but always good news to see winds of  progressive change sweeping the world. In this case Ireland is set to become the next country to legalize gay marriage 

What is different is Ireland has always been a more conservative Catholic country in its views towards this type of societal development and this decision was decided by a popular vote and not the politicians...this is a first in the world apparently

So well done Ireland  :thumbsup:  

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Sad.

Now homosexuals get to experience the misery of marriage. :p

• Like 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Sad.

Now homosexuals get to experience the misery of marriage. :p

:lol: 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Did they figure out a way for two men to give birth to a baby? That's incredible.

On a serious note, I find it disturbing.  It doesn't make any sense.  The scary thing is that by the time I'm 20 years older, I'm gonna see gay men walking around holding hands and ****. Oh god lol.  So disturbing.

No wonder Cassandra Pentaghast looks like a man.

Edited by luzarius
  • Like 1

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

Did they figure out a way for two men to give birth to a baby? That's incredible.

On a serious note, I find it disturbing.  It doesn't make any sense.  The scary thing is that by the time I'm 20 years older, I'm gonna see gay men walking around holding hands and ****. Oh god lol.  So disturbing.

Dude you are clearly trolling now when you say things like "  I'm gonna see gay men walking around holding hands " 

So I wont take the bait :)

John Milton 

From Emerald to Pink Isle.

:lol:

John Milton 

Personally I'd prefer marriage to be a matter the state doesn't get involved. It is, however, a good blow to the morality side of the nanny state. Well for Ireland at least.

Go Ireland!

Edited by Dadalama

It's good to criticize things you love.

Dude you are clearly trolling now when you say things like "  I'm gonna see gay men walking around holding hands " 

I'm dead serious. I don't like it, but I don't really have a choice. I genuinely want to see these people happy, but at the same time my mind and body reject the concept, it's nauseating unfortunately.  *sigh* If you want I could lie to you guys, but I'm telling you how a straight guy like me feels when he sees this gay stuff in public or on TV. 

Any gay guys here, just know that when people see you affectionate in public, you're making them sick to their stomach, they're just tolerating it out of kindness. A normal human being without mental trauma looks upon such things as a sickness of the mind. (CONTROVERSIAL TERRITORY ENTERED).  You guys can start calling me names now, go on be your true self.

Edited by luzarius
  • Like 1

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

I'm dead serious. I don't like it, but I don't really have a choice. I genuinely want to see these people happy, but at the same time my mind and body reject the concept, it's nauseating unfortunately.  *sigh* 

Any gay guys here, just know that when people see you affectionate in public, you're making them sick to their stomach, but we'll tolerate it for your happiness.   A normal human being without mental trauma looks upon such things as a sickness of the mind. (CONTROVERSIAL TERRITORY ENTERED).  You guys can start calling me names now.

I'm not sure  to take you seriously so because I have time I will assume you are being serious

Lets start with this, if you want members of LGBT community to be happy why are you against same sex marriage. Thats what the LGBT community want, they want legal equality in things like marriage ?

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

I'm dead serious. I don't like it, but I don't really have a choice. I genuinely want to see these people happy, but at the same time my mind and body reject the concept, it's nauseating unfortunately.  *sigh* 

Any gay guys here, just know that when people see you affectionate in public, you're making them sick to their stomach, but we'll tolerate it for your happiness.   A normal human being without mental trauma looks upon such things as a sickness of the mind. (CONTROVERSIAL TERRITORY ENTERED).  You guys can start calling me names now.

I'm not sure  to take you seriously so because I have time I will assume you are being serious

Lets start with this, if you want members of LGBT community to be happy why are you against same sex marriage. Thats what the LGBT community want, they want legal equality in things like marriage ?

Marriage is about having a kid through intercourse.  Gay people can't do that. So what's the point of getting married?

The point of marriage is this:

1. have a kid through intercourse

2. make sure you raise the kid so others don't have to

3. make sure mom & dad stay together through marriage to ensure the kid doesn't burden the world

If you want public recogniition of being married, just print out "WE'RE MARRIED" in microsoft word and stamp it on your back with your partner.  OR just get him a RING.

I just want to add that if I had two gay guys as parents, I'd probably kill myself.  A female mother's affection cannot be replaced by a gay man.

Still, if you guys want gay marriage I'll support it, but it just doesn't make any sense. You're only hurting yourselves and the life of a child if you choose to raise one.

Denying a child the love from a female mother is absolute cruelty in its highest form.

Then again the world isn't perfect and some mothers are dead beats, so in the end who gives a **** if there is same sex marriage. The world is already ****ed up, why not let it be even more ****ed up?  I'll support same sex marriage just for you guys just to watch and see what happens. *eats popcorn*. Like I said the world is already messed up, we might as well **** it up even more.

Edited by luzarius
  • Like 1

I've never been in love or lusted over a man but I am not disgusted by gay people being affectionate to each other. I'm just laying that out there, not responding to anyone just another voice showing us that some of us are adults. Not just kids of various ages.

It's good to criticize things you love.

I find marriage far more weird than gayness.

Apart from the kilts. That s*** is just wrong.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Cheers for gay people, being married is awesome.

I am grinning over the 'marraige is to procreate' troll. :p

Yeah, he can't be serious which is why there is no point in responding

Its like he read the handbook that says " how to annoy people who care about gay rights on a forum "  :lol:

• Like 1

John Milton 

Marriage i don't care. If it helps with things like taxes etc. And other legal benefits of such partnership then it is fine. I do however object giving them adoption rights.

Gay relationships are infertile by default and should stay that way, i.e. childless. Having two parents of same sex is not what human biology and child development was designed for for the last tens of thousands years of evolution.

Gay relationships are infertile by default and should stay that way, i.e. childless. Having two parents of same sex is not what human biology and child development was designed for for the last tens of thousands years of evolution.

Sigh, it's 2015 and we're still discussing this.

Here it goes:

• Some heterosexual couples are infertile as well. Why should they be able to adopt then, seeing how their individual biology clearly "wasn't designed" to have children?
  • Throughout large parts of history, children were raised "by the whole tribe", or by extended families where they had constant access to their grandparents etc., or in various other constellations that differed from the way children are raised in 21st century bible-belt USA families. So who are you to declare the latter as the "natural" order of things?
  • Just because a child is the product of a heterosexual relationship, doesn't mean it will actually grow up with a caring mother and father. Many end up being raised by single parents, or in families where one of the parents is always away and hardly involved in raising them, or where both parents are inattentive or inept. So going by your idea that every child "needs" to be actively raised by two dedicated people of opposite sex, a large proportion of non-homosexual parents would have to have their custody rights revoked as well.
    • Even if it were true that having caring & capable opposite-sex parents was theoretically more beneficial for a child than having caring & capable same-sex parents (which is not actually backed up by science btw), the latter would most definitely still be better than many real-life opposite-sex or single parents.

• And the kind of people who are dedicated enough to go through the long-winded and tedious adoption process and all the scrutiny that comes with it, are much more likely to be caring & capable parents than the average adult.

• If you honestly cared about child welfare, you wouldn't be concerned about couples (of any sex) who want to adopt; you'd be concerned about couples who are carelessly bringing new children into the world despite not being ready to be good parents to them.
  • At the end of the day, your argument is just another variation of the "homosexuality isn't natural!!!11" meme, which is and always has been rooted in bigotry rather than science and compassion.
Edited by Ineth
  • Like 7

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Lets make this thread more interesting.

I think we can all agree on that homosexuality is mostly based on biological factors, thus it is a set of genes and the respective hormones which are triggered during early development, right? As we also know, in times before, homosexuality was either completely shunned or acceptable as long as it was kept under wraps; as in it wasn't a big deal if both or one of the parents had same-sex lovers (in secret to most of course) as long as they were officially married and had children. While it denied lifelong happiness of the individual, it ironically made sure that homosexual trait was passed on to the next generation. But now, they can be married and adopt children as they wish; thus breaking the passing of the necessary genes that make up for homosexuality. Sure one can get a surrogate mother if one wishes to, but that is even more rare. 

So aren't we now basically breeding homosexuality out of the gene pool? Aren't we actually making society less diverse for our children?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Relevant, Dawkins' explanation of the sneaky-****er-theory (also addresses your question directly).

Ofc, I am in no way qualified to have an informed opinion on the matter.

No matter really. In the future we can genetically change our children to become our favourite anime character with tsundere traits, purple eyes and white hair anyway. 

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I like that in Meshugger's scenario, the Mormons may be the only hope in keeping gay people around.  :p

On a more serious note, given our major issues of overpopulation and neglected children across the world, the idea that some fabulous couples will get married, not have children of their own, and then take care of other people's kids sounds like an ideal situation.   :shrugz:

• Like 3