[BUG 1.0.6.0586] Min Dmg to higher level oozes

kmbogd

Question

23 answers to this question

I will try to provide you with a save but to be honest I doubt that you need any particular one, just load that level and watch the results. I will have to restart the game from an older save and reach the Endless Path lvl 4 (the one with the oozes). You have only to inflict min dmg to a higher level ooze and you should be able to see the wrong damage calculation like in my screenshots.

Could it be that if you start a new game in 1.06 the slime/ooze bug is not present? It seems like celliott never encountered the bug himself throughout several patches.

Perhaps the same is true for the 'speed' weapon property?

Could it be!?

I have a save file on level 6 of the Endless Paths (and I think there are high level oozes in the lower levels). You can use God mode or something to plow through the enemies and confirm the bugged MIN DR calculation.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9-Aojp0gqQOMncxOWtNN2R3cFE/view?usp=sharing

(Kana is bugged in this save file, but that's another issue)

EDIT - ... or you can delete the level 4 .lvl and .fog files to reset that map and test the bug there on Swamp Slimes.

Edited by Insolentius

Thanks for the save.  I'll be able to take a closer look with that.  I really appreciate it.  To be honest with you, I'm relatively new here (as you can see by the number of posts I have and when I joined up) and just want to make sure I'm doing things by the book.

• Like 1

- Refer to this thread if you are having trouble finding any information I requested http://forums.obsidi...eport-an-issue/

Don't worry! We are a little tense lately, I think that's because we expected 1.06 to fix some of those bugs that the community has been well aware of for a long time. Instead, we got 2 new ones introduced by 1.06. I think it was enough to overshadow the fixes that did occur, and we end up being rude. (Bug fixes are "due" so we are not as happy to get them as we are unhappy to see something go unfixed once more.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4g9xvndl11uuks/19763b1694ef459ab10d7c8883be9647%2011968358%20EndlessPathsofOdNuaLevel4.savegame?dl=0

Above  is the link to a save just before a fight (you go either in front or to the left chamber)  which involves some higher level oozes. Please note that standard black oozes are not affected by this bug, only the higher level ones (like swamp slime or greater black ooze in this case).

Edited by kmbogd

I don't know if the devs are keeping track of old bugs or not, but this one still affects the game. The gist of the problem is that the final damage calculation for MIN DMG (which is 20%) against high level ooze creatures  adds +10 to the final result. You can verify it from the screenshots in this thread and the thread I created last year (https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/79332-105-v567-swamp-slimes-dr-doesnt-function-properly/),

• Like 1

I can tell you how it happens, that was fairly easy to track down. Though I'm unclear on the why of it, and whether it is deliberate or not. 

Anyway, in the CharacterStats.AdjustDamageByDTDR_Helper, which handles the adjusting of incoming damage by DR (obviously), calls the CalcMinDamage function which computes the minimum damage for a given damage amount (obviously redux). This takes the minimum damage percentage of 20% of the damage amount, but then adds the DamageMinBonus to this value. This DamageMinBonus is again a property of the character receiving the damage, in this case an Ooze of some description. Looking through the ingameglobal.unity3d file, I find that the CharacterStats object associated with for example the Swamp Slime (BES_Swamp_Slime) as well as the Greater Ooze (BES_Ooze_Greater) has this DamageMinBonus indeed set to 10; presumably some others have this as well. I checked some other creatures like the Skuldr and the Lesser Ooze, these just have it set to 0. So mechanically, it is quite clear where that +10 is coming from.

Exactly *why* that value is set to 10 for those creatures in the first place is a bit mysterious though. I kind of get the impression that it is a holdover from earlier (pre v1.0) versions of the game, I don't think I've ever seen this mechanism referenced or used explicitly in the game (though then again, it doesn't really announce itself, clearly). There are certainly plenty of traces of that sort of thing in that area of the code. It might also be that it was intentionally set but that it's effect was misunderstood, the name of the parameter is quite ambiguous. 'Bonus' implies that it's a good thing to have; in particular, that positive values on it are a good thing to have. But in this case, a character having this 'bonus' (a positive value on it, anyway) will actually take more damage (potentially more than the unadjusted damage amount as well, which can hardly have been the intention). So perhaps the value was set with the understanding that the 10 would be subtracted rather than added, or that it was meant to be a change in the percentage (eg. going from 20% to 30%; or 10%). 

Or alternatively, it was understood to change the minimum damage *dealt by* the character, the name of the parameter could easily be read that way and there are after all effects that do that. Moreover, the DamageMinimum ModifiedStat which can change this DamageMinBonus value has as it's tooltip "Adds [VALUE] to the target's minimum damage" ('the target' in this context being the target of the effect that applies this DamageMinimum change). Again, it's ambiguous about whether this pertains to damage dealt or received.

Either way, considering that this is specific to the more potent Oozes, I would think it was intended to make them tougher, not weaker. 

Edit: I put a thread linking back to this one in the main Tech forum, to make it more visible (there not being a Beta on at the moment).

Edited by Loren Tyr
  • Like 2