since the whole party is not getting hit. 

Play POTD.

Have no problems keeping my backline from getting hit on PotD.

What has that to do with Potd anyway?

When people like that say "play PotD" I get the impression, they haven't completed a playthrough on PotD themselves, lol.

Main feature of PotD is blown up attributes, it also adds some monsters, but not in the degree, that your backline gets attacked all of a sudden, while it wouldn't have been attacked on hard...

Buffing the entire party with + deflection is not that useful since the whole party is not getting hit. And it does not affect the paladin, who should be taking most of the hits.

This is why I prefer the Shieldbearer's Shielding Touch talent. Deflection bonus off of Lay on Hands means you're going to be buffing the defense of a target that's already taking hits, and it can be used on the Paladin as easily as a party member. That said, I generally go with other orders anyway.

+20 Accuracy start-fight instant buff for your Cipher/Wizard is way way better than any circumstantial deflection buff, not to mention original DoT and debuffs ignoring.

Loss of Zealous aura range is bit sad, but that Endurance aura buff is really great. If only they would have fixed whole mess with charmed/dominated status effects.

Edited by ErlKing

I don't get why so many buffs have such annoyingly small range. Paladin auras are one of the main culprits since they are class defining and small enough that it's pretty hard to use them, but there's a bunch of others like that nice druid level 1 buff that I haven't cast in like 20 hours of game play. If paladin aura was 5m (or maybe even 8m!!) base radius it would actually be sweet and fun.

Support, support, support. Even +20 FoD Accuracy is a support buff in the Paladin context. Good stuff. Though, I'm surprised the extra Aura effects were rolled directly into them instead of split off into separate Talents a la Crit Focus.

There are extra talents as well...they will add +5% to the new aura effects.

Support, support, support. Even +20 FoD Accuracy is a support buff in the Paladin context. Good stuff. Though, I'm surprised the extra Aura effects were rolled directly into them instead of split off into separate Talents a la Crit Focus.

There are extra talents as well...they will add +5% to the new aura effects.

Care to elaborate? I haven't read anything about these new Talents. Are there now two additional Talents for ZFocus? Anything new for ZCharge?

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

Care to elaborate? I haven't read anything about these new Talents. Are there now two additional Talents for ZFocus? Anything new for ZCharge?

I must have a mistake when viewing my paladin, I checked just now with my save and the new effects are 15%.

I made some new paladin hireling paladins to verify. Not sure why I thought I saw new Paladin talents (wishful thinking?).

Is 1.06 safe for use or should I just wait? In the middle of my first play through ever (after restarting about 4 times haha).

Have gun will travel.

Zealous Endurance: +3 DR, 15% of incoming hits reduced to Grazes

Zealous Focus: +6 Accuracy, 15% of grazes converted to Hits

Graze > Hit is so wonderful.... I want a Paladin tank instead of a Fighter now~~~

since the whole party is not getting hit. 

Play POTD.

Enemy AI and formations are exactly the same in PotD. The same methods to protect your back line in regular difficulties also applies in PotD.

Teleporting jerks and vamp- frampyr jerks are still pains either way though. But the Deflection bonus from a Paladin is baby stuff compared to Arcane Veil anyway, since the jerks are generally magnetized to the Wizard master race. The Deflection bonus is very nice if you're running two tanks however. I'm not sure if this stacks on gear or not though.

Is 1.06 safe for use or should I just wait? In the middle of my first play through ever (after restarting about 4 times haha).

Its still in beta at the moment. Give it a shot if you want to try it early, otherwise wait for the official release for a more stable version.

Edited by Wolken3156
  • Like 1

Aye thanks Wolken.  For whats it worth my super tank on Hard right now is a  Paladin.  I don't see it not working on POTD either but honestly its too much defense.  I will rectify that on my next paladin.  With this new patch tanks can even take FoD and it will be useful as the accuracy will be much better.

Have gun will travel.

Enemy AI and formations are exactly the same in PotD. The same methods to protect your back line in regular difficulties also applies in PotD.

However, the engagement limit of your frontline fighters will limit you much harder against the masses of mobs in PotD.

Battles become significantly harder if you can not engage every enemy in melee, because then they will run straight for your squishies if you aren't careful.

Your fighter can engage up to 5 enemies at the same time? Well, duh, in PotD you are often fighting 10+ mobs at the same time.

Yes, in theory, AI works the same in hard and PotD. But in reality, it's different because numbers.

Edited by Zwiebelchen

I want to roll a paladin as my main for 1.06 and I was wondering about how much Int I would need for a tank? I see there is a lot on this thread about the aura sizes, but I also want his +accuracy buff to last long. So I feel I need High Int, Res and Per, but do not feel I can dump any of the other stats?

6ej155.jpg

I am not sure about 1.06 but I know in 1.05 Int isn't bad for a tank but doesn't make a HUGE difference in your auras.  Also yes if you go Darcozzi your + Acc buff will last longer so its a good choice.  If you are playing a Moonlike I think Might is better as your Silver Tide heals for a  lot more.  If you take Lay on Hands on your tank Int is better it heals for more as the Heal over Time lasts longer.  I will say if you take Int your fort might be a bit low ( a bit not crazy low) because you aren't putting any points in Might or Con.  That is until you rank up your Faith and Conviction but there are PLENTY of tanks that do it and succeed I just like having a good Fort save early game. 

You can have high Res and Per and have around a 17 Int score by dumping Dex.  I will tell you that it craps on your DPS but if you want a pure defensive tank build that's irrelevant.  A lot of people on this forum do not like that type of build as they find it boring so they have more of a balanced build like some 14 and 15s on stats. 

PS I see on the 1.06 patch notes that ZF and ZE are larger but ZC is smaller.  I do know that with a 10 Int your aura will only get the frontline.  Probably can be augmented by gear.  I have the Boots of Zealous command which at 10 INT makes my Zealous Endurance 3 meters.  It helps a bit.  With a high Int I am sure it would be better.

Edited by Torm51
  • Like 1

Have gun will travel.

However, the engagement limit of your frontline fighters will limit you much harder against the masses of mobs in PotD.

Battles become significantly harder if you can not engage every enemy in melee, because then they will run straight for your squishies if you aren't careful.

Your fighter can engage up to 5 enemies at the same time? Well, duh, in PotD you are often fighting 10+ mobs at the same time.

Yes, in theory, AI works the same in hard and PotD. But in reality, it's different because numbers.

They're the same groups as hard though. Hard has the same number of mobs.

If you want the best possible pure tank it's still 3 Int. However, in 1.06 paladin support options got much better so high int became more attractive for party play. Out of dex, might, con you can dump any. Dumping con and might hurts fort a lot, so overall dumping dex is a better option as it can be compensated for with a shield. Apart from saves, might mainly hurts dps (which isn't great anyway) and LoH. Dumping con is bad for earlygame when you still get hit a lot, but actually is one of the irrelevant (apart from fort save) stats lategame as you just don't get hit often. Dex overall only hurts dps and exhortation speed (but they are fast in 1.06 anyway), so yeah, it's probably the safest dump option.

• Like 2

If you want the best possible pure tank it's still 3 Int. However, in 1.06 paladin support options got much better so high int became more attractive for party play. Out of dex, might, con you can dump any. Dumping con and might hurts fort a lot, so overall dumping dex is a better option as it can be compensated for with a shield. Apart from saves, might mainly hurts dps (which isn't great anyway) and LoH. Dumping con is bad for earlygame when you still get hit a lot, but actually is one of the irrelevant (apart from fort save) stats lategame as you just don't get hit often. Dex overall only hurts dps and exhortation speed (but they are fast in 1.06 anyway), so yeah, it's probably the safest dump option.

Thanks Torm51 and MadDemiurg!

Might 10

Con 16

Dex 2

Per 16

Int 16

Res 18

Sound ok? or I can raise Dex to 6 and drop Con to 12?

I think the immediate recovery on exhortations means the Dex can really go low. Part of a party as a support and tank. 

Edited by Omnicron

6ej155.jpg

I wouldn't go for 16 Con personally but overall it looks fine. 2 Dex means you went dwarf? Outside of RP it's probably not the best race, even though it allows to dump dex the most.

hehehe, I know I am just messing around :) I am in two minds, don't feel the need to optimize on every level and dwarf seemed alluring for max dumping and RP, I'd probably go Pale Elf for the Freeze DR otherwise :) I know I do not need to Con at 16 which it why I also suggested raising Dex a bit and dropping Con back down, or I could level out Con and Might :)

• Like 1

6ej155.jpg

A bit off topic but I love dwarfs I just wish they didn't have terrible racials.  This play through that I am doing will be my only power play through I usually like the RP a lot (although I genuinely like the feel of Goodlike especially Moon) so I will definitely have dwarfs!

Have gun will travel.

Bonus accuracy to Wilders and Primordials isn't all that bad when you consider that Ogres, Dank Spores and Adragans are among them... you know, the enemies that are actually dangerous. Poison resistance though, is pretty crappy and is only ever used in early game.

That said, unless its a Moon Godlike, racials aren't that huge of a game changer by any means. They can be helpful, but the advantages they give are generally outdone by gear and spells anyway.

• Like 2

However, racials STACK with gear and spells, whereas gear doesn't stack with gear, spells don't stack with spells, and some things are hard enough to find, much less stack.

Like accuracy.  Distant advantage isn't a game changer, but it doesn't need to be to be better than most of the racials for any caster.

They're the same groups as hard though. Hard has the same number of mobs.

PotD combines all mobs from easy, medium and hard together. So, no, not all encounters are the same as they are on hard.

@thread: I think what ZF and ZE actually needed was the ability to stack with other DR/Accuracy bonuses.

I like the Hit/Graze conversion thing being buffed, but I'd rather have the base effects to stack with blessings and priest buffs. Currently, having a priest in your party pretty much suppresses all Paladin abilities - and that with only first level spells used.

Edited by Zwiebelchen

@thread: I think what ZF and ZE actually needed was the ability to stack with other DR/Accuracy bonuses.

I like the Hit/Graze conversion thing being buffed, but I'd rather have the base effects to stack with blessings and priest buffs. Currently, having a priest in your party pretty much suppresses all Paladin abilities - and that with only first level spells used.

I think the hit/graze conversion effects are a good way to give the auras some kind of unique bonus to make them useful when you have a Priest without opening the can of worms of letting them stack with anything.