[1.06] Zealous Focus - aura AoE gradually increasing

Insolentius

Question

I know that the 1.06 patch increased the base range, but the AoE keeps getting bigger every time you load a game where Zealous Focus is already active. Check the way the aura extends in the following screenshots...

123.jpg

1234.jpg

12345.jpg

Steps to reproduce:

• activate zealous focus
  • perform a quicksave
  • perform a quickload

9 answers to this question

this bug has been an issue since release... or 480 (?) actually.  pretty much any reload on a map where an aura is already active results in the extension o' the aura. honestly, am thinking the developers should throw in the towel and have paladin auras extend to the entire party regardless o' distance from the paladin. even w/o intelligence impacting aura radius, it is a useful attribute for extending the durations o' exhortations and other paladin abilities, so is not as if our motivation to buff intelligence is decreased in light o' this inexplicably unkillable bug. 

*shrug*

am admitting that we is curious (minimal curious) as to why obsidian can't fix this bug, but am not particular bothered by it neither.  paladin class has been maligned since day 1.  we believe that the scorn directed at the class is unfair-- based on misrepresentations and a kinda herd mentality.  even so, perception is important.  if folks don't play paladins, regardless o' whether or not complaints is justified, the class is a fail.  have paladin auras affect all party members regardless o' distance makes a perceived weak class stronger. 

is a bug, but is not a bug we see needing a fix.  go figure.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I suspect the problem with fixing these issues has to do with their save system. If you remember, Obsidian were unable to properly fix buff stacking after save/load, so they had to make a bunch of buffs battle only to circumvent these problems. They still need to do with this with Paladin auras, but those are probably implemented in a way that makes this difficult.

am not certain that obsidian ever retroactive fixed a few o' the stacking bugs.  we kept waiting for a patch to fix reckless assault but to no avail.  we were becoming increasing disappointed with each patch that offered no fix.  eventual we gets a fellow boardie tell us o' a workaround provided to him by an obsidian.  the workaround involved disabling the modal ability, then saving, followed by a reload... or two... or three.  it always struck us as odd that obsidian never made any attempt to give widespread attention to the fix seeing as this were a game killer.

if one is genuine curious, we would suggest observing how a save and reload of a paladin with the modal abilities deactivated impacts their radius.  we ain't that curious ourself, but...

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/76862-i-found-a-new-way-to-fix-the-rogues-reckless-assault-stacking-bug/?p=1651130

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Had I known that this game was a beta and that I had to detect continuously bugs and report them in the forum, instead of enjoying the game, I would have bought it directly next year, or maybe never.

• Like 2

Yea this bug has been around since forever.

I'm curious as to why they even bothered to modify paladin aura ranges when this bug still existed which effectively meant that any change to the range was meaningless anyway.

Edited by Idleray

Hi there,

Yes, this is an issue we are aware of as it has been reported before. Thank you for pointing it out though.

Thanks for your feedback. 

Is this at all related to the bug where modals will not play FX if a game is loaded while they are active?

Hi there,

Yes, this is an issue we are quite aware of as it has been reported before. Thank you for pointing it out though.

Thanks for your feedback. 

Thanks, we are aware this has been in since the beginning of the release of the game.

We are aware it is not fixed.

We have not fixed it in two months of knowing about it.

Oh and thanks for reporting all the other bugs and beta testing and bug tracking for us.

We are aware of them, and they are also not fixed, even though we said many of them would be for this patch:

cRichards:

This is the status of some of the issues mentioned as far as I am aware:

#2 Companion dialogue skipping - Probably an issue with the computer running a parallel server or virtual OS, addressed here

#4 Permanent status effects - Fixed and retroactive

#5 Paladins in Noonfrost disabling passives - Fixed and retroactive

#6 Dual-wielding with unarmed and 1 weapon not working properly- Fixed

#7 Retaliation on friendly spells - Fixed

#12 Losing items when dismissing companions - Fixed, cannot be retroactive

I can't say for certain the status of the others issues, as some of the forum posts linked to one issue are of different problems. Hope this helps!

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/79258-common-recurring-bug-list-patch-105/

But thanks for buying the game, giving us your money and beta testing for us, even though we still have not fixed the issues you reported.

Yeah, BIG thanks for all your hard work. 

cRichards:

"Two-handed weapons are intended to cost twice the amount of ingredients to enchant, but very nice job discovering that the x2 ingredient requirement does not properly get reset when viewing the crafting menu. This issue has been reported to the team. Keep up the great work!"

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/79288-105-v567-crafting-bug-ingredients/

Wait.... I thought a game was suposed to be play, not work......

Oh, I forgot, its Obsidian....

Edited by Baladas

"Since the release of the game with have fixed around 1000 bugs with the help of the community."

Why were 1000 of bugs in a game that was released as a finished product?

"There are many of you, with many different playstyles. It isn't something that we can easily replicate on our side so we will gladly take any help that the community is willing to give us."

So why not early access?

The description of Early Access suits the released version of Pillars of Eternity perfectly, especially version 1.01:

"Early access, alphafunding, or paid-alpha is a funding model in the video game industry by which consumers can pay for a game in the early stages of development and obtainaccess to playable but unfinished versions of the game, while the developer is able to use those funds to continue work on the game."

"This Early Access game is not complete and may or may not change further. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development."

"These are games that evolve as you play them, as you give feedback, and as the developers update and add content."

Playable but unfinished version of the game: Check

Pillars of Eternity is not complete: Check

Pillars of Eternity may or may not change further: Check

Pillars of Eternity is Evolving as we play: Check

Pillars of Eternity developers are getting feedback from the players and updating and adding content: Check.

If you (i.e the customer) are not exited to play this game in its current state: Check (for many customers)  then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development. (POE is developing further, with UI tweaks, bug fixes, additional features, balances and so on, except this was not mentioned as a disclaimer for POE, it was marketed as a completed product, which it is not.)

So next time, please release the game as early access and spare paying customers like me who do NOT want to get involved in the development of an unfinished product and who simply want to play the game.

Thanks.

Edited by Baladas