1.06 Patch

BAdler

Question

EDIT: I just moved the 1.06 patch (Build 586) live on Steam.

We are looking to put the 1.06 patch beta up later today. We are just doing some basic tests to make sure it doesn't explode your machines.

If you would like to see what is in store for this next patch check out the blog post.

• Like 10

"Since the release of the game with have fixed around 1000 bugs with the help of the community."

Why were 1000 of bugs in a game that was released as a finished product?

"There are many of you, with many different playstyles. It isn't something that we can easily replicate on our side so we will gladly take any help that the community is willing to give us."

So why not early access?

The description of Early Access suits the released version of Pillars of Eternity perfectly, especially version 1.01:

"Early access, alphafunding, or paid-alpha is a funding model in the video game industry by which consumers can pay for a game in the early stages of development and obtainaccess to playable but unfinished versions of the game, while the developer is able to use those funds to continue work on the game."

"This Early Access game is not complete and may or may not change further. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development."

"These are games that evolve as you play them, as you give feedback, and as the developers update and add content."

Playable but unfinished version of the game: Check

Pillars of Eternity is not complete: Check

Pillars of Eternity may or may not change further: Check

Pillars of Eternity is Evolving as we play: Check

Pillars of Eternity developers are getting feedback from the players and updating and adding content: Check.

If you (i.e the customer) are not exited to play this game in its current state: Check (for many customers)  then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development. (POE is developing further, with UI tweaks, bug fixes, additional features, balances and so on, except this was not mentioned as a disclaimer for POE, it was marketed as a completed product, which it is not.)

So next time, please release the game as early access and spare paying customers like me who do NOT want to get involved in the development of an unfinished product and who simply want to play the game.

Thanks.

Edited by Baladas
  • Like 1

Hello. I have a question about the visuals I posted in this thread

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/79513-low-quality-textures-in-game/

Was it intended that some textures are high res in game and in the level up screen like:

But then others look pretty bad compared to the level up  screen like

I posted a few more examples in that topic. Is this only on my end or for everyone?

This is intended. We use different resolution textures depending on minimum/maximum zoom level of the camera. Textures in paper doll need to be higher because the zoom level is increased.

A bit confused is there a min/max zoom camera level that shows everything in high res like in the level up or creator screen? I keep changing the range but it always looks the same (low res with some armor exceptions as posted in the topic) despite the settings. The texture doesn't really change at all depending on the zoom level even when I save and reload. Is it the same for you or anyone else in your game? I use setzoomrange .2 1.5 and the graphic slider on max. You can easily compare the body textures of the moon godlike and see how outside of the level up screen, the markings look low res in the game when you zoom in.

Edited by Dinky Dino

Version 1.0.6 for Linux is not live on Steam yet, as far as I can tell. Do you happen to have any ETA? Thanks.

It should be live in the beta, as far as I know. Are you looking in the beta?

I don't see any beta versions at all in the Steam Beta version drop-down list under Pillars of Eternity - Properties / BETAS, the only entry there is "NONE - Opt out of all beta programs".

Why were 1000 of bugs in a game that was released as a finished product?

Because modern games are incredibly complex systems and will invariably have any number of bugs or other issue of varying magnitude.

A thousand bugs doesn't mean a thousand game-breaking bugs. It just mean 1000 bugs. Do you think Skyrim had fewer at release?

So why not early access?

Because the game was finished. At least as far as their schedule allowed. Was it perfect? No, but there probably hasn't been a game in the last decade that was anywhere close to perfect state. The best a developer can do is keep fixing the issues until the software reaches an acceptable point where most of the issues are minor enough to be overlooked. If they kept putting off the release in order to quash bugs, they would never get around to releasing it because bugs are an ever-present thing and each fix has the potential to introduce more of them.

Also, a game receiving updates after release doesn't mean that the game is unfinished. Evolving and polishing a game with the help of a community is likely the best model you can have these days. It unburdens the developers and keeps the players invested. Every active MMO has this model and it's a good thing.

If you don't like how things are done, then ask for a refund and go play something else, but don't come around whining about it like you have any clue what it takes to make an RPG of this magnitude and complexity. No one forced you to buy it and no one's certainly forcing you to play it right now (even though it's completely playable and has been for a while now).

• Like 2

I wonder what perfect games that Baladas play which have like zero bugs. Many modern AAA titles have even more and worse bugs plaguing them. (Assassin Creed, FC4, etc.)

The battle system of PoE is also much more complex due to the mind boggling amount of dice rolls and RNGs so bugs will definitely be there.

I've completed the game for more than twice so I don't really see the issue...

• Like 1

Was it intended that some textures are high res in game and in the level up screen like:

I posted a few more examples in that topic. Is this only on my end or for everyone?

This is intended. We use different resolution textures depending on minimum/maximum zoom level of the camera. Textures in paper doll need to be higher because the zoom level is increased.

A bit confused is there a min/max zoom camera level that shows everything in high res like in the level up or creator screen? I keep changing the range but it always looks the same (low res with some armor exceptions as posted in the topic) despite the settings. The texture doesn't really change at all depending on the zoom level even when I save and reload. Is it the same for you or anyone else in your game? I use setzoomrange .2 1.5 and the graphic slider on max. You can easily compare the body textures of the moon godlike and see how outside of the level up screen, the markings look low res in the game when you zoom in.

The thing is, you're not supposed to change the zoom setting in the config file, and to zoom that much on your character in the world. It's called optimization : you won't load a texture size of 1024px if your character is never supposed to be rendered more that, let's say, 256px in size.

It's become apparent from the other big kickstarter releases that the initial release version of such games will be some kind of better beta version.

Eventually the (relatively small for the project size) kickstarter budget runs out/your promised release date approaches and you will need to release.

That being said, while the game had some problematic bugs that should have been catched pre-release (esp. the stat-increasing and ability-deleting bugs come to mind), the overall experience for most players was good enough, I think.

The bigger issues for me anyway never were technical, but rather AI and balancing problems.

It's become apparent from the other big kickstarter releases that the initial release version of such games will be some kind of better beta version.

+++

Agrees.

They are still beta.

At least be honest and admit it I say.

I guess both sides have their points there.

As long as they keep supporting and expanding those games after release, I'm fine with it, even when I obviously would prefer if the inevitably "Extended Edition" after a year or so would be the initial state of the game. But I think it's important to see the (economic) realities behind it.

Anyway, I had good fun with PoE (and e.g. D:OS).

Edited by El Zoido

The thing is, you're not supposed to change the zoom setting in the config file, and to zoom that much on your character in the world. It's called optimization : you won't load a texture size of 1024px if your character is never supposed to be rendered more that, let's say, 256px in size

But some textures actually look good in game and much better than others which led me to think it's a bug. Besides why wouldn't they just give you the option to use the better textures since they are already in game and already made. All you would really need is more vram and we have a slider that could be used to set it to low if you don't like it.  Here look at this:

12131.png?raw=1

The first robe on durance has the same texture quality in game and in the level up screen and it looks good as does the staff. The second robe looks great in the level up screen but in game it looks pretty low res. Both of these were tested using the same settings and changing zoom does not affect their quality. You can see for youself in game too. Since some textures actually look good so I thought it might have been a bug that the graphics slider that didn't enable max texture quality on max. It just seems like a huge waste not having these high res textures in game since we have a graphics slider that I figured was for these type of things if people wanted them on low vs high. This game barely uses vram as it is and requires a pretty decent gpu to run either way. The low res textures also apply to the character model as well as I pointed out with the godlike body markings in my first post and some items like the wizard grimoire.

Edited by Dinky Dino
  • Like 1

BAdler-

Maybe you're looking at this the wrong way. Since the post above is showing the same zoom level, but dramatically different texture LoDs depending on clothing, maybe this is a bug that is causing high vRAM usage with a moderate amount of characters on the screen. Some of your clothing assets might not have the right LoD flags, or something is set incorrectly in the item file. If it's happening for party members, no reason why it couldn't happen for NPCs..

• Like 1

If it's happening for party members, no reason why it couldn't happen for NPCs..

Oh it is so I took an example shot of it on an npc in the top here. I also noticed that on the armor that has the better quality textures, the shoes/boots on it do not. The padded armor looks about right in the torso area but the boots do not. Same thing with the shoes in the image I posted earlier where the robe looks high res as well. Again, all on the same settings.

Untitled.jpg?raw=1

Edited by Dinky Dino

Will this game ever be "fixed" and stable? Not sure I'll ever be able to actually play the game even though I was KS backer. Bummer.

Home/Gaming PC: I7-9700K@4.9GHz/Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero/EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA /Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/LG 32GK850G 31.5"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound Blaster ZX/Samsung 970 EVO x2, 850 PRO x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR5 - TrackClip Pro

Will this game ever be "fixed" and stable? Not sure I'll ever be able to actually play the game even though I was KS backer. Bummer.

To be fair it is relatively stable. But it is for sure broken.

Especially considering 80% of the time in the game will be spent fighting:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9913

"All of this stuff -- class, abilities, weapons -- is important because I'd say 80% of the game is fighting"

With that in mind that means that because the bugs affect the combat, weapons, characters and abilities in the game then at least 80% of the game is broken.

The majority of this game is combat, I would like to play the combat in the way it was intended to be played, not full of bugs that either break your characters or make it not work as intended

Add this to the quest bugs and the many other bugs I really can't see why this is viewed as a product with "relatively few bugs."

This is clearly not true.