Aloth doesn't seem troubled enough

I feel that the writers could have pushed his awakening/multiple personality disorder problem further.

Because my companions seem to poke fun at Aloth alot, but i barely even hear/see the other personality come out at all. Maybe like once in a blue moon? Not enough for it to seem that big an issue for him.

I would have loved to see him break down more sometimes, like to a point where you have to convince him to stay in the party. I dont know, but for me it feels like the writers missed out opportunities for memorable deep/funny dialogue.

• Like 3

it's not only about Aloth. a problem with the game in general is that while it has delivered all the things it promissed, it delivered each in a very small quantity.

it's like having the best pizza in the world, complete with all it's ingredients, but in a size that allows you to eat it in a single bite... it tastes heavenly, but it cant satisfy your hunger

• Like 2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

it's not only about Aloth. a problem with the game in general is that while it has delivered all the things it promissed, it delivered each in a very small quantity.

it's like having the best pizza in the world, complete with all it's ingredients, but in a size that allows you to eat it in a single bite... it tastes heavenly, but it cant satisfy your hunger

I think that is a great compliment to the game and the devs.  :yes:  So the game is an appetizer?  I'll agree to that.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

He isn't troubled. He's lived with Iselmyr for decades, he's used to her. And I think he secretly is relieved by her spontaneous actions - yes, she's annoying and gets him in trouble sometimes, but she also solves the big problems he can't deal with himself (because he has no spine).

• Like 6

I feel that the writers could have pushed his awakening/multiple personality disorder problem further.

Because my companions seem to poke fun at Aloth alot, but i barely even hear/see the other personality come out at all. Maybe like once in a blue moon? Not enough for it to seem that big an issue for him.

I would have loved to see him break down more sometimes, like to a point where you have to convince him to stay in the party. I dont know, but for me it feels like the writers missed out opportunities for memorable deep/funny dialogue.

I dont know...

<_< on my end she doesn't seem to shut up.

...and the things she says has me running to an ye olde to modern day speak dictionary, it has me more confused then what was on my quantum physics exam.

good graces.

Aloth  :wub:  

...It should be illegal to be that fine. 8) or adorkable ♥

I also didn't get to hear from her at all except when you first meet him and when you do his quest and find out about her. The other companions also seems to tease him about her and that is it.

As a result I find Aloth one of the more boring characters. The split personality thing could have been lots of fun if used better and more.

Aloth has lived with her for  15 years and has learned to some extent to keep her hidden.  He strikes me as a person who exercises a great deal of self control which is why she manifested in the first place.  Eventually with out her I think he would have ended up dead or mad.  He may not like her but he needs her and deep inside I think he realizes that.  He just needs to come to terms with her.

nakia_banner.jpg

I also didn't get to hear from her at all except when you first meet him and when you do his quest and find out about her. The other companions also seems to tease him about her and that is it.

As a result I find Aloth one of the more boring characters. The split personality thing could have been lots of fun if used better and more.

Aloth being my main trap-spotter, I tend to hear her regularly ("What do you think that thing does?"). I also heard a banter between her and Kana, but I couldn't really understand what she said. Judging by Kana's reaction, it had to be something a bit dirty and she mentions his breeches, so I'm guessing it had something to do with pulling his pants down.

Poor Aloth the men do seem to be attracted to her.  Durance even likes her and Aloth told him that he, Aloth, would not responsible if Durance called her a ,,,sentence not completed.

nakia_banner.jpg

Aloth has lived with her for  15 years and has learned to some extent to keep her hidden.  He strikes me as a person who exercises a great deal of self control which is why she manifested in the first place.  Eventually with out her I think he would have ended up dead or mad.  He may not like her but he needs her and deep inside I think he realizes that.  He just needs to come to terms with her.

I thought it was 50 years, rather than 15? Just how old is Aloth anyway? I'm a bit confused now. :p

I thought it was 50 years, rather than 15? Just how old is Aloth anyway? I'm a bit confused now. :p

Aloth is an elf I have no idea how old he is by Iseymer(sp?) didn't appear until he was grown or nearly grown I think.  Aloth has said she has been present fifteen years.  I pretty sure of that.  Could be wrong of course.

nakia_banner.jpg

I thought he seemed troubled enough, he just expresses it differently.

From what little we learn of his childhood, it sounds like his father was a drunken abuser, yet his parents sent him to a good school, yet he got beaten if he didn't do well, so he learned from an early age to hide all imperfections and pretend everything was fine. Then Iselmyr was awakened, and she comes out every time he's under distress or pressure, but he's often left to clean up the messes she makes (for example: she tells some tavern patron to **** his sister, then he has to deal with the angry mob that wants to lynch him), so he's learned over time to try to suppress her outbursts and/or smooth over the damage her words cause.

By the time the Watcher meets him, he's very tight-laced, tight-lipped, secretive, and emotionally withdrawn. He can't and/or won't relax or open up with other people (so much so that he's the most distant of the group besides the Grieving Mother), and basically has to be hypnotized into revealing anything about the day Iselmyr awakened so the Watcher can help him learn why she awakened, and/or open the lines of communication between the two.

I thought the writers did a great job of showing the issues associated with someone in his situation; I just don't think he needs to be emotionally unstable, or have frequent breakdowns or meltdowns to show it.

Edited by Faerunner
  • Like 2

"Not I, though. Not I," said the hanging dwarf.

I agree that the amount of companion comments and companion-initiated dialogue in the game is somewhat lacking. But so is Aloth's character in general.

I found him to be one of the most interesting characters at first, but then I pretty much lost interest as his story and character were just not developed at all. His backstory was a one-trick pony.

His second personality rarely ever showed up in the game, so whenever a character made a comment about it, I was like "What the heck? That's a thing?".

The limited amount of dialogue made sense for more straightforward characters like Eder and Hiravias. But for a character defined by dialogue, it's obviously a bad thing not to have enough dialogue to showcase his issues.

The two most talkative characters were easily Durance and GM. Which is kind of ironical for the latter. Aloth just doesn't have the same depth, imho.

• Like 1

I agree 100% with  Faerunner who I think has described Aloth and his problems beautifully.   Aloth is an abused child.  How many people who were abused as children go around telling people about it?  I have been in a position to have discussion with both men and women who were abused.  There is a great deal of repressed conflict there, a sense of guilt, a feeling that the abused was some how their fault and a duality of personality where they try to keep the angry, hostile side of their personalities hidden.   

I agree that all the companions could have been developed further but I also understand that time an budget enter into how things where developed in the game.

• Like 1

nakia_banner.jpg

I agree 100% with  Faerunner who I think has described Aloth and his problems beautifully.   Aloth is an abused child.  How many people who were abused as children go around telling people about it?  I have been in a position to have discussion with both men and women who were abused.  There is a great deal of repressed conflict there, a sense of guilt, a feeling that the abused was some how their fault and a duality of personality where they try to keep the angry, hostile side of their personalities hidden.   

I agree that all the companions could have been developed further but I also understand that time an budget enter into how things where developed in the game.

I don't think people want him to talk about it, people want his female version to have more presence.
  • Like 1

What people want and what Aloth wants are two distinct things and it is Aloth's body and mind that has to deal with the problem.  If anything the reaction of the other companions I think would only reinforce his desire to keep Iselymr hidden.

• Like 1

nakia_banner.jpg

What people want and what Aloth wants are two distinct things and it is Aloth's body and mind that has to deal with the problem.  If anything the reaction of the other companions I think would only reinforce his desire to keep Iselymr hidden.

Except he does not control her. We just want more situations where she takes over.

Except he does not control her. We just want more situations where she takes over.

:shifty: I disagree most of the time he does control her it is only in times of stress or danger that he losses control.  What he hasn't learned is how to be comfortable with her, how to accept her.  

In fact I think the devs did a brilliant job of anticipating those who want her to take control and express herself.  Eder, Durance and Kana all represent this in their comments.  I haven't played with the druid (can't spell his name) enough to know his reaction. She does manifest during fights.  She is the one doing much of the fighting.

I think the devs did a good job with the companions giving us eight unique characters ranging from the very stable Sagani to the nut job Durance.  Sure we would like more but that in itself is a compliment to the devs.

I would love to have more companion interaction with each other and with the PC.  Maybe some campfire chats with different companions chiming in.  I break the discussions with Durance up and one time Aloth walked by and made a comment I like that.   PoE is a teaser simply because the devs did a good job.    It is like having two bites of Haggan Das dark chocolate ice cream.

• Like 1

nakia_banner.jpg