Boardgame concept

I just had an idea:

'Someone is Wrong on the Internet'

Named of course after the xkcd cartoon.

I'm thinking some sort of board with maybe a ladder on it or some other much more complex and funny system.

Each players has cards representing posting styles and gambits like "Mention the nazis"

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Volourn to queen four.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'm a fan of "build your board" board games but not a game designer, so my (easily ignorable) suggestion:

• Each player chooses a "Net Warrior" type. 
  • Each player's start is represented by a computer terminal tile (showing their Net Warrior type at a computer) with a direction from the tile.  The start tiles are placed a specific number of tiles away from a center tile, called "W1ns teh Internets"
  • Players start with a 5 cards and 5 pathway tiles; at least one card and one tile at start determined by Net Warrior type, remainder of "hand" is random
  • pathway tiles include simple direct paths to any card edge, loops backwards and dead ends
  • Cards are arguments and gambits. 
  • Arguments may be Good Arguments, Bad Arguments and Counter Arguments.
  • Gambits are special cards that effect how arguments are won
  • Good Arguments have positive number values, bad arguments a negative value. 
  • Counter arguments may have + or - numbers both
  • Each turn, each player plays an argument - good or bad or counter
  • The total value of the cards are added
  • Before a winner is determined gambits can be played; gambits are special cards that may alter the determination of winners.
  • Without a Gambit card, the winner is determined by who played the card closest to the the total value of the played cards when added together.  The winner places a pathway tile between their computer and the center - unless they played a counter argument in which case they must place a tile on one of the opponent's pathways.
  • With a gambit card, winner is determined by the rules of the gambit; there may also be special rules about tile placement as well
  • Once a round is over, everyone draws a new card to replace what they played
  • Once a player plays their last of 5 pathway tiles, they are able to draw 5 new pathway tiles
  • Whoever can create a pathway to the center tile first, wins
  • Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Amentep just created the game. :)

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well...I created an idea for how your idea for a game might work.  There'd need to be a little prototyping and playtesting to make it a game. original.gif

EDIT: Oh and some more decisions need to be made like how many spaces from center to start and such.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Well...I created an idea for how your idea for a game might work.  There'd need to be a little prototyping and playtesting to make it a game. original.gif

EDIT: Oh and some more decisions need to be made like how many spaces from center to start and such.

Ok, so assume play time should be about an hour.

Let's pitch for five objectives to win/spaces to cover.

How about we try five topics which are always on the intehwebz?

Then players have to 'win' all five.

...I'm thinking now maybe something like a game of caravan?

Players can put gambits into each argument.

The goal is to win as many as possible.

-Elwood Blues