How viable is a 2H DPS Fighter, why create one ?

What is the power of this build ? What are the pros and con ?

2H DPS Fighter vs DW rogue comparation ?

How much damage can do a 2H DPS fighter? (seems important to me) *anyone have a demonstration of damage with 2H Dps Fighter?*

Thanks again, and sorry for many posts.

You can try this one: 

Sailor Senshi
Role: 1.5 line damage dealer

Race: Moon Godlike – offensive fighters are a weird bunch. On one hand, they are the weakest of all damage dealers in terms of damage. They don't have the craziness of barbs AoE. Of rogues' x1.5 sneak attack. Of rangers rapid mass-piercing & stunning shots. Of monks full-wounds 50% bonus. Their increases are very mild and, all together, they give as much bonus as the 2nd level Cipher has. Well, that's still pretty decent so they're not bad damage dealers – they can work that way. It's just that they have the lowest output. But they compensate for that by being the sturdiest combatants of them all. Even on PoTD, they can frontline without much issues. And we go moon godlike here as they put the greatest accent on this duality of ours (though, if you have other sources of healing, wild orlans or fire godlikes can also work rather well).

Stats (the Deadfire Archipelago bonus included): 

M 18
C 3
D 20
P 18
I 4
R 15

And one more time our blue-faced friends rescue us form that pesky 3 Con. Tbh, with maxed out Silver tide, good deflection score and strong Constant Recovery, we don't need that much endurance. And the increased damage and disruption potential is always welcome on the fighter. If you even out this build a bit (2 extra points of resolve), you can make for a fine leader – won't present too much complicated arguments in discussion but in some cases the ability to grab someone by the neck and lift them off the ground is the most convincing argument ever.

Weapon of Choice: Weapon School: Ruffian, Soldier or Noble. Speaking about duality – one of the most interesting aspects of fighter is that all his talents apply to both ranged & melee attacks. And while he won't be excellent at each of them, he can become decent in both. Generally, it's just gonna be unload your ranged weapon as they charge at you, switch to melee and hack them to death. But that depends on the build somewhat. Ruffian or Soldier operate that way, depending on whether you go dual-stilettos/sabres/clubs or two-handed Estoc. Noble, on the other hand, doesn't really have ranged options. But he compensates that by having the strongest interrupting weapon in the game - the rapier Mosquito is superb at this. So you dual-wield it with another noble weapon and sting them like no tomorrow. 

Talents and ability choices:

1st level: Disciplined Barrage – doesn't last long but knockdown is even worse with our minimized int. And, well, 10 accuracy is a fine bonus, even if only for the 10 seconds.

2nd level: Two Weapon Style or Two-Handed Style – flexibility comes at a cost, we will be starved for the talents and so we'll have to do with the basic 3.7 regen of Constant recovery. Since in the early game we won't find much firearms (and noble doesn't need them at all), let's start with our melee prowess.

3rd level: Defender – we'll absolutely need extra protection to fit into this 1.5 line DD role and it doesn't hurt our main weapons that much.

4th level: Wary Defender.

5th level: Confident Aim – aim provides a bigger damage output bonus, btw, so we prioritize it over weapon specialization. And, while it doesn't show that, it seems to be working with both ranged & melee weapons.

6th level: Weapon Focus - just a bit more proficiency with our tools of the trade.

7th level: Weapon Specialization – more and more damage output for us.

8th level: Penetrating Shot or Gunner or Interrupting Blows – with ruffian's blunderbuss usage, penetrating shot is a must. For a soldier, however, extra armor penetration is less important than the extra reload speed. Finally, the noble has no ranged options (the lady's hand scepter is theoretically nice, but very unwieldy to use, especially with the fighter's constant regeneration) so he goes for the better interruption - that's the main reason to choose that weapon school, after all.

9th level: Armored Grace – armored grace is pretty much a 16% attack speed increase. Of course, that works as with other attack speed increases so it's not that crazy (the soldier might consider to wear Angio's Gambeson with Tidefall greatsword, though), but that's still a bit of extra damage dealt. And we're very hungry for those.

10th level: Gunner or Marksman or Vulnerable Attack – the ruffian wants to take gunner so his blunderbuss shoots even better. You can consider the vulnerable attack as well - that depends on what do you use more, melee or ranged attacks. The soldier goes for the Marksman - I have the feeling that he's gonna be using his arquebus rather frequently. For noble it's always the vulnerable attack - adds lots of damage to those rapiers. You might even consider taking it at level 6 and getting the weapon focus here.

11th level: Unbroken – now here the duality is impossible.

12th level: Weapon Mastery - not that huge of a bonus but pleasant nevertheless.

Edited by TT1
  • Like 1

I don't know why you'd create one. Certainly you can make one just fine, since there are a bunch of good melee skills that are available to all, but the fighter's strengths and class-specific talents are geared towards defense and knockdown.

The only dps-specific benefit is the weapon specialization and mastery, for total of 1.25x damage. You can get more than that with a cipher on top of all the cipher powers, or with a rogue on top of all the other rogue skills, or get a barbarian and add a lot of AoE damage.

• Like 1

I don't know why you'd create one. Certainly you can make one just fine, since there are a bunch of good melee skills that are available to all, but the fighter's strengths and class-specific talents are geared towards defense and knockdown.

The only dps-specific benefit is the weapon specialization and mastery, for total of 1.25x damage. You can get more than that with a cipher on top of all the cipher powers, or with a rogue on top of all the other rogue skills, or get a barbarian and add a lot of AoE damage.

Why create one?  Why not?  Not every decision is strictly based on maximum combat efficiency.

A more "offensive" Fighter may have more staying power than a barbarian.  I think that one of the things that limits the offensive capability of Fighters is when you deck them out in the heaviest armor and only give them only average DEX.  A more offensive fighter wearing Chain or Scale, combined with Armored Grace, moderately high or more DEX, as well as Defender/Wary Defender plus Constant Recovery, you can produce a solid offensive warrior. 

My current party's PC is built along these lines.  She's an Island Aumaua from Deadfire with a Raider background, who I play as sort of a swashbuckler.  High Might, Moderately high DEX, decent PER and RES.  WF (and Weap Spec) Ruffian. Armored Grace, Defender/Wary Defender, Constant Recovery, plus others.  She's been excellent thus far.  I've been limiting her to only Chain Mail because I want her being able to maximize her attack speed, which has been working out rather well, thus far.

• Like 1

@ikkyhirsch

Yeah if you want your dps guy to be able to absorb a lot of damage, then fighter (or monk) is the way to go. If you get a cipher or a rogue, the usual tactic is to let another fighter attract all the attention while you flank from the side and kill things one by one.

Edited by the streaker
  • Like 1

Why create one?  Why not?  Not every decision is strictly based on maximum combat efficiency.

lol, you're just begging for an argument, aren't you? It's the character builds forum and the guy specifically asked about the viability of a fighter dps build, so I gave him the answer. Don't need to visit the character builds sub-forum for sub-par roleplay characters, that belongs over in the story section.

• Like 1

lol, you're just begging for an argument, aren't you? It's the character builds forum and the guy specifically asked about the viability of a fighter dps build, so I gave him the answer. Don't need to visit the character builds sub-forum for sub-par roleplay characters, that belongs over in the story section.

I'd say that you're the one looking for an argument.  This isn't the max efficiency, POTD character build forum.  Characters that are built with some measure of RP in mind are still character builds.  Get off your high horse.

• Like 1

Sorry you're right, I recognize my mistake now. When he said:

"What is the power of this build? What are the pros and con?"

I did not realize that he actually meant "how can I build a sub-optimal fighter with some measure of RP."

Again, my mistake!

• Like 1

Sorry you're right, I recognize my mistake now. When he said:

"What is the power of this build? What are the pros and con?"

I did not realize that he actually meant "how can I build a sub-optimal fighter with some measure of RP."

Again, my mistake!

He didn't say that he wanted a max efficiency whatever.  Do you ever play a character that's anything but 100% min-maxed, max efficiency character, FFS?

• Like 1

How much damage can do a 2H DPS fighter? (seems important to me) *anyone have a demonstration of damage with 2H Dps Fighter?*

In terms of DPS a 2H fighter will definitely lose to a DW rogue but the fighter will require much less micro

I believe in terms of damage output a 2H fighter should be comparable to a 2H pally. My pally highest crit was 76 so the DPS is actually quite decent.

• Like 1

In terms of DPS a 2H fighter will definitely lose to a DW rogue but the fighter will require much less micro

I believe in terms of damage output a 2H fighter should be comparable to a 2H pally. My pally highest crit was 76 so the DPS is actually quite decent.

Fighter can definitely do more damage than pally. That being said my pally did 150, animancer boots be praised. ;p
  • Like 1

Fighter can definitely do more damage than pally. That being said my pally did 150, animancer boots be praised. ;p

Jolting touch eh...heh

• Like 1

Jolting touch eh...heh

:)

• Like 1

Spellstriking : Jolting Touch , is probably best damage modal in this game(Stileto and Cloudpiercer easily can last whole game for your char ) sadly its only one per encounter meanwhile every crappy Spellholding item was given 2 per encounter inlcuding double frenzy from sanguine plate for 30 seconds rofl

• Like 1

Spellstriking : Jolting Touch , is probably best damage modal in this game (Stiletto and Cloudpiercer easily can last whole game for your char ) sadly its only one per encounter meanwhile every crappy Spellholding item was given 2 per encounter including double frenzy from sanguine plate for 30 seconds rofl

Agree.  The Cloudpiercer warbow is a devastating weapon due to its Jolting Touch spell striking.  I don't think that the Rain of whatever warbow comes close, particularly since last I knew (though I'd be glad to hear otherwise), the Speed mod on weapons doesn't work. 

I played both in 1.05 they are weaker yes but still the best imo , especially how they are available very early i usually Kill the dozens bastard right after completing the quest for rogue knight and buying everything from their crappy shop , also funny thing Weenan or w/e he is called ( boss of dozens ) will stay as strongest enemy defeated for quite some time , good thing he is either alone or with few 1 hitable npc's i remember i was surprised to miss everything on him on POTD land graze at best :D

The power of a damage spec'd fighter is the durability. You'll have good deflection, around 100; full plate for high DR; armored grace for faster attacks without sacrificing DR; critical defense to further reduce incoming damage; good, but not great, ranged damage for initial alpha strike; good endurance with good passive regen; also if it ever gets KO'd it can self rez.

The strength of the build is that it does not need someone else to tank or to set up CC to make use of its abilities. A DW rogue will do more damage but needs someone to tank and someone to apply status effects. A rogue that gets attacked will drop quickly, a fighter will not care.

Another good thing is that you'll have good dialogue options from high might, resolve and perception. Also combat that starts with a dialogue will not leave a squishy character exposed. I like roleplaying a tough character that can put out decent damage much better than a squishy glass cannon or an impotent super-tank.  

• Like 1