How viable are Edér, Aloth, GM on PotD as opposed to hired NPCs?

Hi all, thinking of starting my PotD playthrough but I want to keep at least 2 scripted companions around so that I'm not running with a full party of mutes. I probably plan on using Aloth, Edér and GM as 3 of my companions - my question are how viable are they statwise on that difficulty? How do they compare with more optimized builds for their class?

I know some people say you don't need min/max characters on PotD, but I also want a strong team where at least some of the group has some great stats.

Edited by FranklinsTower

Edér is set up fairly well when you pick him up; his Res and Per are lower than you would want on a Tank, but give him Wary Defender and Weapon and Shield Style and he'll do fine anyway. Aloth's stats aren't driven as high as you would on a min/maxed build, but his Int is pretty decent and he's a Wood Elf, so he's not going to have any accuracy problems. Honestly, the only downside to Aloth is that his grimoire doesn't have Slicken and it can take a while to track one down that does; now that you can turn off autoleveling, you can probably fix that anyway. Grieving Mother's stats are the only ones that are way off from where you'd like them to be.

You can always use IE Mod if you're really concerned about NPC stats.

Edited by Kaigen42

Edér is set up fairly well when you pick him up; his Res and Per are lower than you would want on a Tank, but give him Wary Defender and Weapon and Shield Style and he'll do fine anyway. Aloth's stats aren't driven as high as you would on a min/maxed build, but his Int is pretty decent and he's a Wood Elf, so he's not going to have any accuracy problems. Honestly, the only downside to Aloth is that his grimoire doesn't have Slicken and it can take a while to track one down that does; now that you can turn off autoleveling, you can probably fix that anyway. Grieving Mother's stats are the only ones that are way off from where you'd like them to be.

You can always use IE Mod if you're really concerned about NPC stats.

GM's Per has been swapped with her Int in 1.05 so she makes for a good CC cipher.

• Like 1

I run all quest in game in PotD with my character, (Wizard), Eder, Mother, Kana, Durance and Sagani in 1.04, (no reset characters), and I dont have any problems.

Some people cry a lot, but it is entirely feasible. You dont need edit character and now in 1.05 you can reset all Levels except first.

Edited by Aranduin

The question is: Do you use Quickslotitems? Since you can beat the Game Solo by using Summon-Figurines and Scrolls, it of course not necessary to create 6 Min/Max Chars.

So is it possible to beat the game without any hired Chars, Attribute Mods and any consumable/summon items?

Currently I play without hired chars and without quickslot items... I do not know if I could do it with preset attributes...

I used  potions/food/drug/scrolls... 2 times all game Adra Dragon and Final Fight and I lost figurines for a bug when I change group for to leveling the characters left in the fortress. With a full group you can run without figurines, (but are useful xd ).

I did a run on POTD with PC Rogue and 5 Story Companions (Eder,Aloth,Durance,Kana,GM) , before i did a run with 6 customs and what can i say is that there is hardly any difference , it is tough up to Caed Nua ( huh no items/skills/talents ) and after that its cakewalk . Story companions on other hand provide you with ****ton of dialogue when you do quests , also they got their own quests that equals ton of free exp , to experience full game you should use them .

Edited by Exoduss