Trans Pacific Partnership

https://www.eff.org/issues/tpp

Are we looking at something even worse than the Patriot Act?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

ronpaulitshappening.jpg

Such things are most likely requiring a change in respective countries constitutions, right? Which in some cases subsequently requires national referendums, right? Things like these should never pass into fruition.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The ocean has a gender now?

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

The ocean has a gender now?

You could say it's genderfluid.

• Like 9

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I thought it was male because of all the men at sea.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

ronpaulitshappening.jpg

Such things are most likely requiring a change in respective countries constitutions, right?

Nerp. We, for example, rather conveniently don't have a constitution. The TPP is also of course entirely secret, except for the parts some kind soul leaked to wikileaks, and would probably be passed here under urgency- ie use emergency powers supposed to deal with national emergencies which allow minimal public discussion and scrutiny. Strangely- oh so very strangely- national emergencies the past 7 years have tended to be anything the current government thinks will make them unpopular if scrutinised.

As a consequence we already have agreements like the one with ROK where some of the more egregious TPP clauses such as extranational tribunals where companies can sue governments for lost profits are present.

https://www.eff.org/issues/tpp

Are we looking at something even worse than the Patriot Act?

Security legislation that's poorly thought through?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Yeah, no, **** this bull****, especially the IP stuff. Restricting ability to shape individual country copyright laws, restriction of fair use, stronger patent laws for medicine... Not a fan, not at all.

• Like 1

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -Marcus Aurelius

ie use emergency powers supposed to deal with national emergencies which allow minimal public discussion and scrutiny. Strangely- oh so very strangely- national emergencies the past 7 years have tended to be anything the current government thinks will make them unpopular if scrutinised.

As a consequence we already have agreements like the one with ROK where some of the more egregious TPP clauses such as extranational tribunals where companies can sue governments for lost profits are present.

I find it interesting that nations (or their "heads") apparently have an interest in putting into effect rules/laws, as secretly as possible, that weaken their own position against corporations. And all of that in a time where there is that current trend of nations having to pay corporations to save the corporations or themselves (at least the US and Switzerland did bail out major financial institutions (possibly many others but for those I know for sure), spending taxpayer money on keeping alive these mismanaged big corporations, while Greece currently bleeds for having "over-borrowed" from such big financial corporations in the recent past, and again taxpayers have to cover for corporation's losses)

So, if a nation would actually act in the interest of its citizens, would it really, consciously put itself in a weaker position against Gekko-esqe greed? No wonder such treaties are kept secret. Well, thanks to TPP and other such treaties, maybe in time the perception of the evil state that keeps taking and passing laws that narrow our liberties will be replaced by the perception of the evil corporations that keep taking and dictating laws that strip our freedom away.

Oh, and also, more interesting for "us" Europeans: TTIP.

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I found it very interesting in the Canadian election thread that their government is doing exactly the same sort of stuff for exactly the same sort of reasons- plus the Tories in the UK used almost exactly the same strategy our National Party did here. There's clearly a lot of synching of strategies going on. And as always, the politicians' job is not actually to serve the people but to get re-elected and they're probably getting advice mainly from cookie cutter MBAs; on the look out for some lovely Directorships as rewards from the same companies whose interests they served while in office/ advising those in office.

Last big company we bailed out was an insurance one after the Christchurch earthquake, which was at least reasonably justifiable as being due to a genuinely unique circumstance. There was also TV3 where the government gave them a $43 million interest free loan and oddly, so very oddly, the current affairs program that has been most consistently critical of them got the axe despite regularly being the network's best performer. Oh yeah, their new CEO is a good buddy of our Prime Minister. Coincidentally.

It's funny really, people here vote ourselves the least corrupt in the world because they can't recognise quid pro quo/ payola if it got up and turned their house into a wholly licensed product of Monsanto behind their backs.

• 3 weeks later...

/pol/ was right again.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Not sure that like is quite the right word. The particular provisions and positions wrt Pharmac and our drug sourcing is already quite well known as everytime Pharmac go for a cheap Indian/ Brazilian/ Cuban generic someone in the US, Britain or Switzerland throws a wobbley about us not paying massively over the odds for the 'genuine' but out of patent article. You'd think big pharma would be happy with us being the only other country aside from the US where they can direct market drugs.

I'd already read an equivalent article, sadly it isn't really seen as a particularly big deal in general here- though a fair number are upset most here have the critical faculties of overboiled cabbage.

/pol/ was right again.

Da joos are trying to cuck the white man?

ctrl+f "jews" in the thread on /pol/....

41 hits among 690 posts. Meh, that's kinda weak actually.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

/pol/ was right again.

Did you ever think that the nazis were shills trying to derail every discussion with cuckolding and Jews?

/pol/ was right again.

Did you ever think that the nazis were shills trying to derail every discussion with cuckolding and Jews?

Reallymakesyouthink.jpg

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Oh god this again?

... Oh, wait nevermind.

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

Oh god this again?

... Oh, wait nevermind.

Apparently members of the LGBT community will be implementing this, you were right ...they after you 

Meshugger don't believe  a word Assange says. He uses hyperbole as he has a personal agenda against the West...but he received justice. It can't be nice staying in an embassy ...that's what happens when you skip bail and try to avoid a country like the UK legal systenm

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yes Bruce. Better to believe backroom dealings by people representing entities not accountable to anyone. What was i thinking?

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Yes Bruce. Better to believe backroom dealings by people representing entities not accountable to anyone. What was i thinking?

You were thinking for yourself. Surely you know this is not good?

You're right, thank you. We live better than ever before, our governments are representing our best interests, the media are focusing on issues that truly matters; movies, music and art are currently depicting a healthy society living in a golden age with no agenda at all. School curriculums are ensuring that more critical thinking and mentally sound people are entering society upon adulthood, and the very food you eat is actually good for you.

Sorry, i am good global citizen now. Time to sleep.....

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

You're right, thank you. We live better than ever before, our governments are representing our best interests, the media are focusing on issues that truly matters; movies, music and art are currently depicting a healthy society living in a golden age with no agenda at all. School curriculums are ensuring that more critical thinking and mentally sound people are entering society upon adulthood, and the very food you eat is actually good for you.

Sorry, i am good global citizen now. Time to sleep.....

I know you guys don't believe it but when I talk about the inimical influence that Assange has I only say it because I hate to see you guys being manipulated by his false narrative

Its like you guys have really low standards and you accept the words of Assange blindly because he seems to support your views of Western influence.

Its fine to support people but at least try to see he is a bad choice and you guys are too clever to buy his hyperbole 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela