Should POE go in the IWD direction, or the DA:O direction.

People will always want what they don't have.  I do not think PoE should go either direction.  It should go the way OE devs want it to go.

Players are free to make suggestions but in the end it is the developers who have to make the game.  Obsidian is an experienced outfit and I trust them.

• Like 5

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Better story, combat and roleplay options - yes.

Dating sim - no.

DA:O was not as abhorrent as DA2 or DA:I though, so it's not the worst example of that series.

IWD is basically a dungeon crawler.

I say neither of these. 

• Like 2

Future instances of PoE should continue to go PoE's route there is no need to tier away from the course it is set on.

Polish the imperfections, heed and fix contradictions in lore, continue building lore and world and keep delivering similar story themes, characters and gameplay experiences is the way how PoE will grow to be probably one of the best game series in history in my mind.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with the overall direction. They should learn from DA:O how outdated, stupid and unnecessary the rest system is though.

Edit: Forgot to mention the biggest current big picture flaw is lack of mod support.

Edited by manageri

Edit: Forgot to mention the biggest current big picture flaw is lack of mod support.

Game supports modding, although complex mods need paid version of Unity (because Unity 4.x's paid and free versions don't always have compatible files, if they upgrade to Unity 5 this hindrance would vanish) and their file structure isn't easiest to understand. They don't offer mod tools, because they don't have tools that they could offer, as they didn't make any. Full (meaning that backgrounds don't consist on tiles) pre-rendered backgrounds make making new maps difficult as making maps demands that person making maps actually can do 3d environments from start to finish and understanding how maps work in PoE as there is some specialties that are needed to make them work.

Game supports modding, although complex mods need paid version of Unity (because Unity 4.x's paid and free versions don't always have compatible files, if they upgrade to Unity 5 this hindrance would vanish) and their file structure isn't easiest to understand. They don't offer mod tools, because they don't have tools that they could offer, 

So...you can Mod the game, but there is no specific support for modding. 

This would explain why there aren't many mods for it (if any). 

For a CRPG, especially an Indie CRPG supporting mods improves the longevity and sales for the game. 

I would prefer if PoE went the direction of DA:O. 

And I assume we are talking about changing direction, because the eventual feedback after the hype of launch has not been 90% of purchasers are happy with the gameplay. 

Game supports modding, although complex mods need paid version of Unity (because Unity 4.x's paid and free versions don't always have compatible files, if they upgrade to Unity 5 this hindrance would vanish) and their file structure isn't easiest to understand. They don't offer mod tools, because they don't have tools that they could offer, 

For a CRPG, especially an Indie CRPG supporting mods improves the longevity and sales for the game. 

And I assume we are talking about changing direction, because the eventual feedback after the hype of launch has not been 90% of purchasers are happy with the gameplay. 

What exactly are you basing that on?

Regardless, as long as the backers got what they were promised, and Obsidian is happy with the direction, it doesn't really matter what non-backer consumers think. They can buy the game is they like this type of game but nobody's forced to buy the game and "changing direction" makes no sense. The franchise was created in a niche subgenre of story-driven, party-based, isometric RPGs and changing that because 90% of consumers don't like that sort of game would invalidate the whole point of the project in the first place.

• Like 1

How about none of those. The PoE world is dark enough to go towards a Witcher 1, Fallout type of world. A world morally ambiguous.

But if they wanted to do that, they could've done that in PoE. I think they should've, but they don't seem too keen on it.

Game supports modding, although complex mods need paid version of Unity (because Unity 4.x's paid and free versions don't always have compatible files, if they upgrade to Unity 5 this hindrance would vanish) and their file structure isn't easiest to understand. They don't offer mod tools, because they don't have tools that they could offer, as they didn't make any. Full (meaning that backgrounds don't consist on tiles) pre-rendered backgrounds make making new maps difficult as making maps demands that person making maps actually can do 3d environments from start to finish and understanding how maps work in PoE as there is some specialties that are needed to make them work.

I.. I think that most people have a different definition of "supports modding" than you do. If a game can be modded doesn't mean that it supports mods.

PoE is probably the least mod-friendly game I've mucked around with for decades. You can't even mod files and then just drop them in the right place - you need to extract, decompline, recompile, etc, etc, etc. It's a mess and the vast majority of the mess isn't remotely accessible, and there's no easy way to resolve mod compatibilities.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 2

t50aJUd.jpg

IWD offers interesting combat, large range of options in character customization and multiple options of quest resolution at the expense of an on-rails linear plot progression and a complete lack of party member personalities.

DA:O offers the neat concept of actually having a playable background story and a bit more focus on the party members, at the expense of setting depth, having to deal with a cringey ham-fisted 'romance', dumbed down combat and bare-bones character customization as well as having the side-effect of rapidly degenerating into a fantasy mass effect reskin because console sales.

Personally, I'd rather PoE stayed on course, polished up the encounter design, shed some of its more questionable inclusions (*cough* Stronghold minigame *cough* stealth sections that need the entire party to come with you to proceed *unconvincing cough*), provided more party member interaction on the level of Durance/Grieving Mother and maybe threw in some more interesting racial abilities for the ones that got the crap end of the stick. The core concepts are all solid, so my hope is that with this game as a foundation, Obsidian will be able to focus more resources on doing some more interesting things with the lore and mechanics they've put in place.

Edited by Aea

I played DA:O through once then went back and did most of the origins.  I had fun with the game and added two mods.  I would not want a game that emulated DALO though.  It was too linear for me.  The only combat that stands out for me was one fight that was buggy and needed a work around to do it.  I did like the puzzles that were in the game although others complained about them.

Modding has extended the life of games>  Triple A games such as Oblivion and Skyrim and Morrowind have benefited from this.    Criticism of PoE from those who never played those early cRPGs does not surprise me.  

• Like 1

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

In my opinion i'd prefer that they emulate neither going forward, i'd prefer Mr Cain gave us ToEE combat, Mr Avellone and the other writers give us Torment like writing, and a reactive, living world such as that seen in Ultima VII was built. The illustrated sequences bear prioritising and utilising more frequently as well.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

As of today - there are 3,970 user reviews on Steam, and 91% are positive. That talks volumes.

In my opinion i'd prefer that they emulate neither going forward, i'd prefer Mr Cain gave us ToEE combat, Mr Avellone and the other writers give us Torment like writing, and a reactive, living world such as that seen in Ultima VII was built. The illustrated sequences bear prioritising and utilising more frequently as well.

I want to cry now... Just to imagine such a game  ;( . I don't think we'll ever see something like this.

• Like 1

Nah, it should go in the direction of either Fallout 2 or Freedom Force.

Wha.. is Freedom Force?

Superhero squad based RTwP action adventure/RPG. Very good, cheap on Steam and GOG, only the second game (Freedom Force vs the Third Reich) is available on the latter however.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!