I would be gratefull if someon could any good build for melee wizard with weapon choices ( i was thinking of sabres or 2H Estoc/greatsword) and best spells and skills selection. I was looking at already posted build but im not sure if its ok. i would aprreciate if someon post any good build for tank paladin or chanter

Is this for a solo Run or for a party?

I did a solo PoTD run with a Wizard and I never needed to buy weapons, the ones you can summon are rather strong :)

Generally you want high Might, Int and Con, and you can dump Res and Per thanks to Hardened Veil (would suggest that as 1st two talents) 

Edited by Omnicron

6ej155.jpg

Melee wizard - well any wizard can melee decently, but you can make a specialized build that focuses on melee a bit more. I'll go with specialized from here.

Race: Moon godlike/Coastal aumaua/Wild Orlan/Pale Elf (each one has ups and downs)

Weapons choice: 

Set #1: 1h (hatchet or warhammer when you get the soldier focus + small shield

Set #2: Pike or Greatsword

What you actually gonna use when in melee: Concelhaut's parasitic staff (level 1 spell), Citzal's spirit lance (level 5 spell).

Stats:

There are several variations here, but in general you want max INT (buff duration), DEX (cast speed, dsp), Might (dps). Dump perception, between constitution and resolve I'd go like 8 CON 10 Res for melee (Usually I dump CON as well and go 15 res on a generalist caster). It's possible to dump RES even more for more CON.

Talents:

Veil/Hardened Veil - ultimate defense for hard fights, limited duration and uses

WF: Soldier (Spirit lance is a pike)

Vulnerable attack

2h Style

Savage attack

Alternative would be to ditch Vulnerable/2h style/Savage as lance is already very hard hitting and go for some defensive talents like superior deflection, snake's reflexes etc. Depends on how much you want to tank.

Noteworthy spells for melee wizard:

Level 1

Concelhaut's parasitic staff - main early game weapon

Wizard's double (stack with veil, pretty useless on its own)

Spirit Shield

Level 2

Bulwark against the elements

Infuse with vital essence (most used tanking spell, combine with high DT from plate)

Mirrored images

Concelhaut's corrosive siphon (good endurance drain spell)

Level 3

Deleterious alacrity of motion

Llengraths displaced image

Level 4

Iron Skin

Minor arcane reflection

Level 5

Llengraths safeguard

Citzal's spirit lance - main lategame weapon

Level 6

Citzal's martial power

Arcane reflection

You still can (and should) use debuff/cc/aoe spells too.

Shameless self promotion (melee wiz at work): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGPG4SwS8mY

(This is a console generated test char, I used a more caster oriented build in my actual playthrough, but as you can see this one kinda works)

Edited by MadDemiurg

Mine is similar to Mads. I went might dex and int. Took took con to 3 for Max in one of the 3ish just mentioned and left per and the other alone.

My weapons are a small shield and hatchet, for the deflection.

I'm only at lvl 4 but I'm enjoying the much more difficult ruin this time. Also this time is solo.

I haven't taken the summoned weapons because I thought that would lower deflection. The only thing I REALLY don't like about this build is that my health goes to red after about 2 fights and I'm not one who likes to rest so I try to conserve my spells. At this rate I don't have to worry about using all my spells because my health leaves before they do. Health... Not endurance.

• 5 months later...

Just wanted to share my level 2 solo melee wizard taking on the 2 early bears in hard difficulty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48mY4ImHJ2w

Personally, I think high PER is better than high DEX (this doesn't seem like the majority view from all I've read so far).  I tested a Cipher mostly before tweaking DEX, RES, PER in this fight ...but may go with a Wizard in my play through since they can do a lot more damage (assuming you are rested...).  There is also some tactical planning with multiple grimoires, etc...

From my play testing, low PER just seems to graze/miss a lot more and having high DEX wasn't as useful since my spells are very limited cast and when I am spelled up, I need to make the most of it in that short window.

That said, this fight can be won pretty consistently assuming your slick hits since the big bear's chance to hit you after deflection spells are up is < 10% I think.

And since patch 2.01, Concelhaut's Parasitic Staff and Citzal's Spirit Lance are considered universal weapons, so they will both get +6 accuracy as long as you've picked any weapon focus talent. Doesn't have to be Peasant or Soldier, but picking one of them is a good idea anyway, since you'll be able to use a regular quarterstaff or pike when you're not using the magical ones.

Around the time this thread was created (May), Perception added to Deflection not Accuracy.

Yeah, a lot of the guides seem really out of date so it's hard to search for updated info...I will need to read the forums more closely.

I haven't gotten very far in my game yet since I am not sure what I wanted to play yet, but the completionist in me didn't want to 'skip' it before going to town so I wanted a consistent way to beat the 2 bears without having to reload (Trial of Iron play-through).

I went normally with Arque bus and hatchet/shield. Being able to switch to a different weapon via a spell is very versatile.

PER is very good early game and against tough bosses with high defenses, as it reduces graze and miss chances. Dex is something seen more in much longer fights or fights at higher levels that use more spells. Also in specific situations such as using the ranged weapon spell.

Iron, that's some nice micro timing in the video.

Edited by Ymarsakar

I went normally with Arque bus and hatchet/shield. Being able to switch to a different weapon via a spell is very versatile.

PER is very good early game and against tough bosses with high defenses, as it reduces graze and miss chances. Dex is something seen more in much longer fights or fights at higher levels that use more spells. Also in specific situations such as using the ranged weapon spell.

Iron, that's some nice micro timing in the video.

I notice I just use the staff spell since it heals endurance on hit instead of any of the other spells (not enough spell casts to spare).  Being Moon God-like also is so powerful for this build since you get hit a lot and my moon godlike power activates every battle.  More importantly, it's auto activate (hidden in log though).

I'm now in the 1st town again after restarting (died at 3 wolves)...

After resting once after the bear fight,I took on the wolves and the bandits.  The wolves were actually a tough fight since I didn't notice 1 was a mama wolf (sloppy) and knocks down and hits a lot harder (was wearing scale)...Had to restart because of it (Trials of Iron).  Both fights can be done solo though with the melee wizard easily without anymore resting (3 spells are enough to spare)...and generally, I hate resting or potion spamming to begin with.  Bandits don't hit that hard (used 1 spell each fight so 1 left).

Being a fan of turn-based games and tactical combat, one thing that I have noticed to make the game more 'tactical' for me is gauging enemies and what they are using (what they attack with) and what they are wearing.  Their attack has been more important since the bears slash and the wolves pierce.  Scouting them with sneak and re-arming my armor to breastplate made that fight a ton easier vs. wearing the scale Calisca had on...(Breastplate 10DR vs. Scale 5DR against pierce)...I don't think you can use cover unfortunately.

This is my first play through so it'd be interesting to see how far one can get without reloads or 'knowledge' beforehand.