How many crap design decisions in one game! Remove "pulling" immediately!

Remove the idiotic "pulling" MMO mechanic where you approach one dude out of a group of dudes and "aggro" him alone.

This **** never existed in BG. If one can see you, the group can see you.

It's this and other "for children" design decisions with this game that are simply infuriating.

single player MMO with "DPSers" and "Tanks" etc. bull****.

• Like 1

I hated this mechanic so much in the beginning of the game. I thought it was really stupid because they obviously took it from Dungeons & Dragons, but the combat there is turn-based and it happens in square grids. I had to use all sort of different auto-pauses combinations until I found something that I actually enjoyed. Then, after a good amount of hours invested in the game, I finally reached a point where I was at peace with the combat system. In fact, I actually started enjoying PoE's version of attacks of opportunity since they allowed my dual-wield rogue to ditch a ridiculous amount of damage while my tanks prevented the enemies from moving through the battlefield.

I used "pulling" in the IE games especially the IWD games.  I have a lot of fun with it.    Sometimes it works in PoE and sometimes it doesn't.  I find it most useful in dungeons especially if you have a choke point to draw someone to.  If the others do follow they get in each others way and you can use  ranged weapons and spells to disable and kill them.  

• Like 1

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Yeah, what the heck are you talking about? Pulling was extremely easy to do in the BG games - much easier than PoE, where there is a certain range it'll trigger the entire group when an enemy fully spots you, and where it won't. For most encounters in BG(2), you could pull to your heart's desire - in fact, it was even worse: you could cast AoE spells like Fireball into the edge of visibility, and unless the enemies hit directly saw you, they wouldn't do anything. Unless you modded the game with something like SCS, pulling was much easier in the BG games.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 3

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Remove the idiotic "pulling" MMO mechanic where you approach one dude out of a group of dudes and "aggro" him alone.

This **** never existed in BG. If one can see you, the group can see you.

It's this and other "for children" design decisions with this game that are simply infuriating.

single player MMO with "DPSers" and "Tanks" etc. bull****.

I love how "Single Player MMO" has no friggin' meaning anymore.

In a single player game how one plays the game is their business.  Others may consider certain tactics cheesy or even cheating but it does not affect them in any way.    As far as I am concerned the goal is to win the battle and I will use any means available to me short of using console commands.    In PoE I have not found it that easy to pull some one out of a group but if the group is spread out and I can pull one or  two enemies out I will.    In fact being able to that adds to the fun of the game for me.

If others don't like doing that they do ot need to.

Note: I have the devs in-game comments on and in the very first part it is explained that the want players to have as much control over what they do as is possible.  Therefore play styles will differ and that I believe is very good.

• Like 1

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

BG/IWD NWN all had cheezy ways to play if the player wanted to use them.  Some were exploits, some were just abuse of mechanics.   They all had pulling, by the way, if you knew how to do it.  Not all pulls --- boss fights were linked, but you could certainly split up big fights.

The door swings both ways.  If they are going to use the cheezy dialog "teleport the entire party to the middle of the room"  mechanic, then pulling must also be allowed.  

Pulling? I didn't see any pulling going on.

*What I did see was engagement, where one opponent had to be dealt with, or they got a nasty parting attack for free, at the fleeing one's option.  Is this what is meant here by 'pulling'?   If so... what wrong with it? It makes perfect sense that an engaging opponent demands attention to avoid injury; but that one can always choose to turn their back on them... and get hit while running away.

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 1

You can pull in all IE games and in POE. SCS's improved shouting was an important step. 

I do wish games as a whole would move on from "bunch of monsters stand around at a spot" design.

• Like 2

You cant pull at will in MMOs, there are tons of group mobs, and marked as such. It appears to me while "bashing" MMOs you actually want to play one. Which is understandable as MMOs are better games. Still, quite ironic.

Dont know which statement is better "bg has no pulling" or "pulling is obligatory in PoE". Im at a loss here..

You can pull in all IE games and in POE. SCS's improved shouting was an important step. 

I do wish games as a whole would move on from "bunch of monsters stand around at a spot" design.

Yup, that's something reasonable to wish for. Enemies roaming the maps would make it more interesting.

Pulling as in... inching up to the edge of the fog-of-war, and having one break off from their group to fight the party?

That was certainly in the infinity games; and not engagement (as I guess I mistook it for earlier).

____

What I don't like is when a PC gets spotted, successfully hides, and the enemies run towards the non-hidden PCs whether or not they are visible from the enemy's location.

In IWD2, I recall, that enemies would 'conga-line' even through a maze to the other side of the map, to attack the rest of the party, if they lost sight of the rogue.

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 1

The proper question is - who forces you to pull?

It is a question of game design, of course, but also of playing culture. It's like buying a twenty-five year old wine, then drinking it with doritos and complaning that it tastes like crap. Honestly, if some stupid feature ruins the game for you - well, maybe you should stop to abuse it. I've played the entire PoTD difficulty without pulling (except in a few places where it's pretty much dictated by the internal game logic - the dank spores, for example) and it was many times more fun than it would've been otherwise.

• Like 2