Hello,

I've been playing Pillars for a while now, and I have a level 8 cipher. He is consistently my best damage dealer. He has a Fine Arquebus. He also consistently deals damage in the 50+ range on most targets. However, I have read a lot about how good ciphers are with the Blunderbuss. However, in my experience trying it out it is highly underwhelming, usually striking with 2 pellets for like 11-12 damage or less, even with Penetrating Shot active. Can someone explain all the buzz behind the cipher using a blunderbuss? I haven't found it builds any more focus and appears to do less damage than a blunderbuss. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong? Thanks!

Arquebuses are the better base weapon, but when you take uniques into account pistols and blunderbuses pull ahead thanks to faster shooting and options with Rending. If you don't want to switch weapons ever, just use an arquebus, as they are all-around effective. If you don't mind switching weapon sets between high and low DR targets, use Dulcanale and Lead Splitter. If you're using Quick Switch and Arms Bearer to open up with lots of gunfire, then you're back to arquebuses again because the benefits of unique guns is muted in that instance.

1.05, had two ciphers in my party, one with a blunderbuss another one with an arquebus. Focus gain was roughly the same, Cipher with a blunderbuss was ahead in damage overall, but that was mostly due to it being my PC with better stats. Sometimes on the PC used a pistol since it utilizes the same weapon focus as blunderbuss, still was quite similar. So, quite honestly it's a preference thing. Blunderbuss trades some range for looking cooler, so there's where my choice lies.

Disclaimer - this was on hard, potd experience may vary.

In the early stages, even the dissapointer doesn't disappoint. I was surprise to find that it often dealt damage in the high twenties, raising my Cypher focus accordingly.

The dissapointer just has a negative accuracy component which makes it miss a lot, and its very rough on POTD enemy.   It does plenty of smackdown if you can land a hit with it. 

Lol how many times people will post crap about dissapointer ant POTD i mean if you play POTD and need a pistol you can enchant dissapointer before you get to gilded vale INN , where is the problem ? bad players very much 

Arquebuses are the better base weapon, but when you take uniques into account pistols and blunderbuses pull ahead thanks to faster shooting and options with Rending. If you don't want to switch weapons ever, just use an arquebus, as they are all-around effective. If you don't mind switching weapon sets between high and low DR targets, use Dulcanale and Lead Splitter. If you're using Quick Switch and Arms Bearer to open up with lots of gunfire, then you're back to arquebuses again because the benefits of unique guns is muted in that instance.

Yeah I tend to agree. Lead Spitter with penetrating shot on a cipher is fantastic, only having to switch against VERY high pierce DR since the base damage of blunderbuss is so much higher than arquebus. Unique arquebuses, on the other hand, blow. They're only the clearly better choice for rangers (usually).

ON a good day you want to have character using Marking Arquebus standing near ranger , not the ranger using it himself also there are no arquebusses left to go with quick switch so its clearly out of the question on a optimized ranged build, Lead Splitter + Exceptional Blunderbusess in mid game , late game combo would be Lead Splitter , SCon Mica's Roar, Dulcanale , Forgiveness ( if speed ever gets fixed ) , all with corrosive lash and exceptional , 2 blunderbusses are for 2x wounding shot per encounter ( be sure to debuff combusting wounds before can even put a ring on a ranger as your shots are limited so casting combusting wounds is good choice also this combo kills anything in this game) , dulcanale can be swapped with exceptional blunderbuss but i like to keep it , Forgiveness is out of question atm because speed doesnt work , so i end up going 3x Blunderr+dulcanale for reloading after quick switches ,

Lol how many times people will post crap about dissapointer ant POTD i mean if you play POTD and need a pistol you can enchant dissapointer before you get to gilded vale INN , where is the problem ? bad players very much 

I had no problem getting Settler's Arrow & Xaurip Tongue, those were easy.  Where did you get the Turquoise?  (I'm assuming you're slapping an Accurate 1 enhancement on that puppy)

I'd really be curious how you get the ingredients needed to even slap on a crap enchantment before Guilded Vale. Or is that just you talking for talking's sake.