Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

Uh, so this happened: https://twitter.com/brandonorselli/status/606559265151516674

Major sites only writing about Kickstarter projects if they get a cut from it? Something major is brewing if true.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

IF that's true, that is EVIL. I'm sure either SJWs and Hardcore Republicans are involved. they are the only ones satanic nazish enough to do that stuff.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

No I'll continue to get involved in other peoples cultures....its a wonderful global world :dancing:

Well whats an example then of a valid group of white people that have been victims to abuse and bigotry by black people ?

I know probably not exactly what you're looking for, but...

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/calgary/racist-bullying-plagues-calgary-family-in-mostly-black-housing-complex-mother-says-1.3081784

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

saying that white-centric game needs PoCs, but a PoC-centric game doesn't is racist.

Not if you go by the definition of racism as "prejudice plus power".

Pretty sure thats the definition most people use. Only people who want to dismiss racism against white people make up the prejudice plus power definition.

Now thats an interesting perspective.."  white people can't be the victims of racism " 

Some of my fellow supporters of SJ have argued that point but I think its misplaced as it immediately annoys people who have been the victim of black racism

But a better way of saying it is " white people aren't typically the victims of the institutionalized and historic racism that black people are sometimes subjected to "  

The question then becomes "Okay, Given the historical and social contexts of this issue, how long are we expected to give others a free pass to be racist against the white "majority" population?"

That's always been my biggest problem, that whenever the idea of an african man being racist it's always rebutted with "Well yeah, but we had to deal with Slavery man!" which rings hollow given the person being racist probably wasn't even a glimmer in his dad's eye when the civil rights legislations passed.

No there shouldn't be an excuse and justification for any real racism, I regularly challenge some  black South Africans on that radio talk I participate in that they are racist and I've had the debate with people around why not only whites can be racist 

No I'll continue to get involved in other peoples cultures....its a wonderful global world :dancing:

Well whats an example then of a valid group of white people that have been victims to abuse and bigotry by black people ?

I know probably not exactly what you're looking for, but...

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/calgary/racist-bullying-plagues-calgary-family-in-mostly-black-housing-complex-mother-says-1.3081784

Thanks for the link but thats an example of racism towards whites which I have acknowledged 

But its different to the historic reasons and ideological motives of the racism from  white supremacist groups and the KKK for example 

The racism you see from these groups is generational, they really think non-whites are basically sub-human

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

hahahaohwow

https://archive.is/LaAVO

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I don't care how people phrase it, what I actually hear is: "I don't want people to like what they like, I want them to like what I like."

Well, good luck with that.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

You know what though? More diversity in gaming would be awesome. I defended The Witcher and Kingdom Come because of their context as slavic mythology and truelife medieval setting respectively, but I sure as hell want to see more diversity in games that don't have such a context.

But then I look at that article and I see a tweet like "we can play 800 diff pokémon but one diverse trainer is too much to ask" and I realize that these people will just make **** up. This is what my toon looked like when I was playing through Pokémon Y:

635179418718118496.JPG

Then there's the female variant:

pokemon_y___i_m_in_geosenge_town_for_mon

Sometimes I wonder if there'd be this much internet backdraft about it if the "progressive" could just stop lying through their teeth for one second.

Edited by TrueNeutral
  • Like 2

hahahaohwow

https://archive.is/LaAVO

Predictable. Moosa even had a Twitter flounce to put the nails in his wrists for a bit. Good old Twitter original.gif

CDPR can just release a quick reskin of a percentage of the NPCs to satisfy this crowd I guess. Nah, then they will complain no 'important' NPCs are non-white, hmm..

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

BTW everyone, quote pyramids are the devil's work. THE DEVIL'S WORK I SAY!!!!11111onetwothreeisthisthingon? :p

I think a valid point to be made with respect to the article written and with respect to Polish/Slavic culture is that in the US there were bigotry and abuse to the Polish, the Italian, the Irish and other non-Anglo-Saxon and/or Protastant groups. Limited housing, limited jobs, ethnic slurs.  Was it as bad as Africans or Native Americans or Asians had it?  No...but that doesn't make their treatment good. Just as the Page Act of 1875 was created to curb Asian immigration into the United States the Emergency Quota Act (1921) sought to curtail immigration of Jews, Slavs, Italians and generally speaking those from Southern and Eastern Europe deemed undesirable for the US. The Immigration Act of 1924 further restricted immigration from Southern and Eastern Europe, as well as Africa, Asia, the Middle East and Indians because, again, WASP types didn't want them in their neighborhoods.

I think a lot of people would be more willing to deal with it if it wasn't a presumably white author trying to force a change into an already established work just so he feels like he did his bit for the social justice fight.

While I know a lot of people aren't fans of his work, Tauriq Moosa is of Middle Eastern descent.

Sometimes I wonder if there'd be this much internet backdraft about it if the "progressive" could just stop lying through their teeth for one second.

I'm not sure they're always lying.  I would say that people parrot things they've heard, believing they're true because they don't know better very easily on the internet.  Even better on Twitter where its easier for an untruth to volly around the twitter-sphere in a quick, pithy comment before the truth can even get started (part of why I think twitterage is so endemic on social media now).

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I think the main problem is they don't actually play games.

• Like 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

So playing an animuized japanese is playing a white person?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I think you are misusing the word " racism " ...what is your definition of racism in this case?

I know I will fail to convince you but its not racist if its intention is to be inclusive and we don't need other cultures to prompt the white\European race...we already dominate on most levels

I for one would not have been half as interested in the Witcher if it had not built up a great sense of internal consistency in its gameworld, if it had had the usual boring AD&D setting, or did not include the Slavic cultural mores which made it so unique and exotic. Then again we can't have something unique, distinct and rare can we? We've got to turn everything into a dull paint by numbers politically correct sermon.

But its really a fantasy realm so why not just include minorities? It can still be very Slavic but I don't see the big deal?

The big deal is

1) Is that it is quite racist to include minorities for the sake of them being minorities.

2) The double standard. No one is forcing the Japanese/Asian market to include whites or blacks in their games.

Racism is still racism despite with "good" intensions, nice try though. Who's "we?" not needing to prompt european race? Who are you talking about? Why is it morally right for any artist pursue this racial/cultural propaganda and why should companies profit from it?

Why do you feel Japanese games have to now feature European people?

Answer my questions first.

Okay, "we" is the general European\White race

I meant to say " we have no need to promote the White race "

Hahahaha, i'm done.

Do you mind sharing why you are done ?

Because trying to tell whites that their race and culture should not be promoted is quite evil, is it not? Like there is a certain layer of what the human expression of oneself can go before someone else puts an arbitrary stop-sign telling them that their culture just have had enough.

I thought that we all worked from on the dream MLK had as a base. Maybe he was wrong after all...

Dude...seriously?

I would like others to comment ..." do you guys think the European\White race needs to be promoted in our modern age "

Yes, because a lot of it seems to be getting forgotten. The old folk tales the old culture etc and it is being overshadowed by shows like jersey shore or hells kitchen. Besides how much do you know about celtic or slav or norse or balkan or various germanic cultures really? You come from a country tha was a mere colony and try to school others on how they should perceive and promote their own millenia long cultural roots?

Mind your own cultural background and do not school others on representation of their culture you "colonist"

Wannabe rappers?

And historically i am quite sure tha there were a lot of explorers who got into trouble.

Throughout the history there was opression of various kinds and it was always the victors over the defeated. It does not matter what race or geographic location. It's just the nature of the conflicts that we had up to the end of world war 2. And even today in less civilized regions of the worlds those old rules still apply.

Edited by Darkpriest

cz8BFP1.jpg

Still more non-whites than the Witcher, but given that these sites are (mostly) based in the US, far behind in terms of representation based on racial makeup. I guess diversity doesn't apply to them.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

'

But why do you suddenly now feel the need to play a white person in every game? Its only since GG that this view has now become vociferous in some circles. And I'm sorry to say I question its real motives and sincerity 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

'

But why do you suddenly now feel the need to play a white person in every game? Its only since GG that this view has now become vociferous in some circles. And I'm sorry to say I question its real motives and sincerity

I don't.

'

I don't.

Oh....okay my bad  :blush:

John Milton 

Personally, I prefer playing black people.  They have better rhythm.  Plus in real life I have a nice round butt, and most white avatar's are flat asses.   dancing.gif

That sounds pretty racist, man. Stereotyping black people..

:p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've never understood the aversion to positive stereotypes.  You would think that would be something worth owning.  As a white guy with a bit of an unknown cultural heritage, I can only wish I had some decent stereotypes to lean on.  :p

I guess it's a line of thought that all stereotypes are bad and you make people that don't match it feel 'less' of a member of that group (latter is BS to me, but I am trying to think up a reason :p).

cz8BFP1.jpg

Still more non-whites than the Witcher, but given that these sites are (mostly) based in the US, far behind in terms of representation based on racial makeup. I guess diversity doesn't apply to them.

Got a source for this? Can't find anything with reverse google image search.

Edited by evensong

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -Marcus Aurelius

cz8BFP1.jpg

Got a source for this?

Just look at writers on staff.

You know what though? More diversity in gaming would be awesome. I defended The Witcher and Kingdom Come because of their context as slavic mythology and truelife medieval setting respectively, but I sure as hell want to see more diversity in games that don't have such a context.

But then I look at that article and I see a tweet like "we can play 800 diff pokémon but one diverse trainer is too much to ask" and I realize that these people will just make **** up. This is what my toon looked like when I was playing through Pokémon Y:

635179418718118496.JPG

Then there's the female variant:

pokemon_y___i_m_in_geosenge_town_for_mon

I'm eagerly awaiting Expeditions: Vikings simply because of the chances for diversity, hopefully we can travel to Byzantium to serve as Varangians in the Guard, and see what a melting pot of cultures and creeds walk the legendary streets. Diversity in such a crossroad of the world, at the centre of trading routes and easily accessible by sea (the highways of the ancient world) is warranted and internally consistent. I look forward to seeing the interactions and clashes that occur in such a locale.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!