Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

https://archive.is/hegey

Volourn was right all along.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

:lol:

What exactly was Volo right about ? That Anita wants to separate the genders?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

He has repeated for 9 months that SJWs are really racists in disguise.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Okay he has indeed repeated this I agree but how does this Twitter link support this? All Anita is saying is studies have revealed that same race classes have improved studies, I'm not sure I agree but is it racist ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Okay he has indeed repeated this I agree but how does this Twitter link support this? All Anita is saying is studies have revealed that same race classes have improved studies, I'm not sure I agree but is it racist ?

Most people would consider segregation racist.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I am the only one finding it funny that for every new story in GG, the discussion reverts back to:

- "Nu-uh, there weren't 12 articles, there were another number, and they weren't that important to begin with, why do you guys even care?!"

- "Why do you guys care about some SJWs/feminists in games? they have no influence or power!"

- "GG has roots in misogyny. They hate Zoe Quinn because she is woman in game development!"

- "Why doesn't GG have a unified platform?"

- "Why are all GamerGaters like this?"

- "Please change the hashtag"

I would suspect that people are reading from the COINTELPRO-handbook if this wasn't a random gaming forum.

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Bruce is from South Africa, i do not think that he understands those nuancesheywaitaminute

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I am the only one finding it funny that for every new story in GG, the discussion reverts back to:

- "Nu-uh, there weren't 12 articles, there were another number, and they weren't that important to begin with, why do you guys even care?!"

- "Why do you guys care about some SJWs/feminists in games? they have no influence or power!"

- "GG has roots in misogyny. They hate Zoe Quinn because she is woman in game development!"

I would suspect that people are reading from the COINTELPRO-handbook if this wasn't a random gaming forum.

Which is why I just ignore those discussions. It's a waste of time to get sucked into it again.

Bruce is from South Africa, i do not think that he understands those nuancesheywaitaminute

Well KiA in there efforts to prove how they're not right wing go on about how this authoritarian left have the same solutions as the authoritarian right so maybe we've come full circle. The only SJWs on /leftypol/ are Stalinists or Maoists so there may be something to that.

I'm saying they weren't gamergaters back then. Given that GG itself is about six months old, it seems quite impossible to me that GGers were kicking up much of a fuss about those issues back when they were recent (ie. years ago).

Nine months.

Nice fact checking there....

Also, you seem to miss the concept of critical mass. Gamers have been raising a fuss about crappy journalism ages ago too, but it never reached the boiling point.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Of course if you implement segregation like in South Africa it is racist

I just am not prepared to condemn Anita as a racist until we understand context 

John Milton 

Well I would think you would be concerned in legitimate questions around GG, its about the credibility of the movement which in turn would lead to it being more  effective and influential. 

John Milton 

Well I would think you would be concerned in legitimate questions around GG, its about the credibility of the movement which in turn would lead to it being more  effective and influential. 

"muh PR!", lol

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

It's racism no matter the context.  The idea that the races should be kept apart is racist. You do realize that was the argument that the KKK and others of their ilk made during the whole freedom movement right when they realize they were fighting a losing battle? 'Seperate but equal'? COME ON.

Why do SJWs want to set back  what was won? Oh yeah, I know why. They are hateful, bigoted, and nazis. Then again, Ms. Anita has already proven she hates Japanese so this is nothing new.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It's racism no matter the context.  The idea that the races should be kept apart is racist. You do realize that was the argument that the KKK and others of their ilk made during the whole freedom movement right when they realize they were fighting a losing battle? 'Seperate but equal'? COME ON.

Why do SJWs want to set back  what was won? Oh yeah, I know why. They are hateful, bigoted, and nazis. Then again, Ms. Anita has already proven she hates Japanese so this is nothing new.

So are you suggesting that Anita wants to separate the races in education?

John Milton 

I'm saying they weren't gamergaters back then. Given that GG itself is about six months old, it seems quite impossible to me that GGers were kicking up much of a fuss about those issues back when they were recent (ie. years ago).

From that I'm not sure Nonek is the one needing to know what a 'strawman' is.

Plenty of the people who now constitute GG have been concerned about games journalism, for years previous. Otherwise we have to conclude also that- logically- nobody cared about world peace until the United Nations was formed, nobody cared about international health until the WHO/ IRC/ MSF etc were formed, nobody cared about internet freedom or overweening and overbearing copyright rules until Pirate Parties were formed, nobody cared about social justice until the sjw term was coined etc- after all, nobody was a member of those organisations (or 'organisations') until they existed either. The idea that any movement sprung de novo from the aether direct into people's minds and they didn't care previous is... a bit ridiculous. Games journalism has been criticised and pilloried for its failings for decades and if anything it's just got worse over that time.

But anyway, as said, the whole thing would have blown over in a week sans Streisand Effect. Remove the censorship and invective against anyone not toeing the line and there wouldn't be a GG either; there would still be perfectly legitimate criticisms of journalism to be made with or without it and gamergaters would be some of those making them, with or without the label to make them a recognised movement.

Anybody who thinks gaming journalism's biggest problems are feminist infiltration and indie devs stealing exposure with their devil vaginas is ****ing stupid.

You picked two issues out of a list. Misrepresentation aside, what are you trying to prove by pointing out that you don't consider these two to be the "biggest" problems?

They're what kicked off the entire movement. Depression Quest receiving three sentences that could vaguely be seen as undue praise, and Leigh Alexander calling 'gamers' bad names. Not the fact that gaming "journalism" has been **** for decades, not the fact that most of the content is vaguely-rephrased marketing talk about games that aren't even out yet, not the fact that journalists can be fired for giving a bad score to heavily-advertised games. Not, y'know, actual issues with lack of professionalism that have been present for at least a decade before GG even existed. Gamers have been fine with those. Just how much of a shortsighted fool does somebody need to be in order to fail to notice how the entire industry of gaming journalism has consistently been terrible since forever, but cry bloody murder over the fact that it now also publishes feminism-flavored crap alongside the regular crap?

And once again people conflate the Zoe Post with GG. The demographics are rather different. Had the 12 articles never been written, GG never would have taken off. It would have remained the Zoe Post and petered out within a month or three just like every other ethics brouhaha over the past decade in games journalism. This of course ignores that it wasn't just Grayson. He was the only one accused to outright admit sleeping with her. Of course IIRC the other four didn't deny anything, which given that there was a lawsuit going on at the time has interesting implications.

In any case, pretending that GG is the Zoe Post is rather dishonest. GG actually began with the twelve articles by a bunch of Perpetually Outraged, Searching For Offense, Quick to Accuse Racism/Sexism/Homophobia/Privilege/Patriarchy, Holier Than Thou, Politics Before Fun, Unholy Cross Between Communists and Puritans, Twitter Lynch Mob Forming, Career Sabotaging, Social Justice Crusaders{coined by Correia} who decided that they were the gatekeepers of what is morally correct in gaming.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

In any case, pretending that GG is the Zoe Post is rather dishonest. GG actually began with the twelve articles by a bunch of Perpetually Outraged, Searching For Offense, Quick to Accuse Racism/Sexism/Homophobia/Privilege/Patriarchy, Holier Than Thou, Politics Before Fun, Unholy Cross Between Communists and Puritans, Twitter Lynch Mob Forming, Career Sabotaging, Social Justice Crusaders{coined by Correia} who decided that they were the gatekeepers of what is morally correct in gaming.

Dude, take the high road.  Yeesh.

It's racism no matter the context. The idea that the races should be kept apart is racist. You do realize that was the argument that the KKK and others of their ilk made during the whole freedom movement right when they realize they were fighting a losing battle? 'Seperate but equal'? COME ON.

Why do SJWs want to set back what was won? Oh yeah, I know why. They are hateful, bigoted, and nazis. Then again, Ms. Anita has already proven she hates Japanese so this is nothing new.

So are you suggesting that Anita wants to separate the races in education?

To be fair to Anita, I have heard the same thing about segregated schooling. Especially regarding gender. Men and women learn differently and at different paces. So segregated schooling can lead to better performance.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Dude, take the high road.  Yeesh.

Ah, yes, well the story behind that is I promised on the escapist to not use 'social justice warrior' to describe people as it was imprecise as to what it meant. I figure one cannot confuse themselves with the above as it is much more specific.

• Like 1

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

indie devs stealing exposure with their devil vaginas

Yikes Alu, as far as hostile misrepresentations of another's argument go, this is pretty bottom-barrel. You didn't use to be such a nasty poster - what happened?

I don't think it's a misrepresentation at all.

It sure looks like it from where I'm standing.

You were explaining why you reject Robin's statement and/or my expansion on it, yet neither of those were even remotely interpretable in that way.

They're what kicked off the entire movement.

The Zoepost incident did not kick off GG. It was a minor kerfuffle mostly on fringe message boards and some journo comment sections, like many others before it. In fact, some of the previous ones (like Gerstmann-gate which I'm surprised you say you hadn't heard of) drew a much larger initial crowd. But they all blew over because there was no one to pour oil into the flames.

The difference was that unlike the previous kerfuffles, this one happened to feature a women in a central role, which immediately drew swarms of online feminists and their blanket accusations of misogyny to the scene, which in turn emboldened the journos to forgo their usual strategy of "sitting out the storm", and to respond instead by declaring war on enthusiast gamers as a whole with the "Gamers are over" articles.

That is what the GG movement started as a response to (and as a twitter movement, mostly consisting of people who had neither been part of nor cared about the fringe-message-boards Zoepost kerfuffle).

the particular subset of gamers [Leigh Alexander]'s writing about

There's a very applicable Hungarian saying for this situation; so far, I haven't found English analogues. It's sort of like "if the cap fits, wear it", but in the inverse. It could be loosely translated as "if it's not your shirt, don't put it on".

This retroactive "They didn't mean all gamers, stupid!" defense is pretty weak imo.

Imagine the following hypothetical scenario:

In reaction to some localized kerfuffle involving flagburnings or other ungainly things by some group of Muslims somewhere in the world, a consortium of right-wing journalists publishes a coordinated burst of articles across different news outlets, with titles like:

A Guide to Ending "Muslims"

The End of Muslims

'Muslims' don't have to be your audience. 'Muslims' are over.

...containing, in the article's contents, foaming-mouthed vilification and nasty expletives & stereotypes - always directed at the group referred to as 'Muslims'.

Naturally, controversy ensues.

The authors reject all criticism though, and one of them even follows her article up with this charming statement addressed to Muslims: "Islam is not your identity. Islam is not a race. If you think it is, then you’re in our way, and the work I do specifically exists to dispossess you of your sense of relevance.1"

Later, apologists roam online forums, lecturing people that those journalists really only meant the "bad" subset of Muslims, and the people criticizing the articles were just overreacting and stupid to think the articles were meant against them. One of the apologists, going by the nickname 'silicondioxid', pontificates: "if it's not your shirt, don't put it on".

Would you accept that defense? Of course you wouldn't, nor should you. You'd maintain that those journalists are bigots, because that's what they'd be.

But unfortunately when bigotry comes from the illiberal authoritarian left rather than the illiberal authoritarian right, many liberals suddenly have giant blind spots.

--------------

1) I'm pretty sure that I remember the first version of this statement of hers having a much nastier phrase in place of "dispossess you of your sense of relevance". Something more akin to "destroy you". But I can't find a quote of that version anymore, so it's possible I might be confusing it with something else.

• Like 1

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

That persecution complex.

...another thing you would never dare to say in the above hypothetical scenario.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

...another thing you would never dare to say in the above hypothetical scenario.

No ****, that's because the circumstances of Muslims is in no way comparable to that of gamers.

Muslim's exist in a culture of islamophobia where they can be subject to state sanctioned harassment, detainment and murder. Articles demanding an "end to muslims" in such a culture would not be tongue-in-cheek or mere hyperbole but instead contribute to the actually existing violent status quo. You cannot simply replace one group with another and treat it as if the implications are exactly the same.

That said, who the **** cares that some random websites wrote some melodramatic articles on 'gamers'. I've been playing games all my life and quite frankly couldn't give a ****. Until we live in a world where employers are not hiring gamers, people are running around murdering gamers or the state itself has "declared war on gamers" you are just another tumblr generation kiddie desperate to be "oppressed".

• Like 1