Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

Oh hey, another worthless soul making easy money off of stupid internet drama.

Theoretically at least he isn't making any money off of it, he's just not losing money via crowdfunding his legal costs. I guess if he wins and gets awarded costs or damages he might effectively make money, but that doesn't seem to be a likely outcome- indeed, I don't even know if it's a possible outcome- and we don't know what he'd do in that situation.

There is a certain irony about GG funding someone that way given their attitude of patreon's crowdfunding being circlejerk welfare for parasitic social activists, but at least it isn't a 'fund my life, plz, for a haiku a month' situation but a one off (well, again theoretically given it's a legal) fund for a specific situation.

I was close to joining #gamergate because of Dragon Age Inquisition, but I'm going to hold off on that. I think DAI was a rare occurance and hopefully a game like DAI will never, ever happen again.

I doubt that's something GG would have issue with. What does that have to do with games journalism?

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Wait, Furry Road is supposedly a "feminist movie"?  If so, it fell on deaf ears (and blind eyes) as all I saw was a fun action popcorn flick.

They consulted with the Vagina Monologues writer to portray the wives better AFAIK. Didn't translate to feminist(of the 3rd wave bourgeois variety at any rate) to me, but I saw the film for the action and was pleasantly surprised by the performance of the actors.

Actually, the all of 4 or 5 lines the harem girls get prior to the death of the the one farthest along in pregnancy are standard 3rd wave feminist bull****. In fact, the one girl explicitly blames everything on men and their penchant for violence.

Of course the existence of a tribe of women who place bait and are perfectly willing to kill men(The only reason they don't kill Max is because Furiosa, who is one of their own, vouches for him. Otherwise he was a dead man walking.) for being men

utterly refutes said bull****. So the idea that it is propaganda for 3rd wave is hilariously stupid.

Having watched it a third time, I can honestly say while it is the best pure action movie so far, and probably for the year, the rest of the plot is some of the laziest I've seen in a large budget movie.

The fact that Bullet Town and Gas Town are both within sight of the Citadel is just plain silly and makes the existence of the convoy rather confusing. At most, they're a 2 day walk from each other. Then there's the "Green Place". If there was enough radiation around there to create crow people mutants, all of the old women there would be dead of radiation poisoning before the plants died off.

Humans are much more susceptable to radiation than plantlife. The other thing that confused me were the throngs around the Citadel. You're in the middle of the frigging desert, with very little greenery to support people.

Little enough that the War Boys were stealing people's blood for basic nutrients.

Edited by ravenshrike

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

I was close to joining #gamergate because of Dragon Age Inquisition, but I'm going to hold off on that. I think DAI was a rare occurance and hopefully a game like DAI will never, ever happen again.

No why hold back? You should join GG and become active in the various  discussions that GG raises

You will definitely find people who agree with your important and relevant perspective. And just to be clear your view is basically   " Bioware is pushing a SJ agenda by only having ugly women in there games " 

Yeah, GG is the best place for you. Let me know how it goes  8)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

...and just when i thought that things were cooling down.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

...and just when i thought that things were cooling down.

Honestly, if I were going to be fighting this "social justice" bs and wanted it to be an adult conversation, the last people I'd probably want to invite is the guys who let you use a cat as a silencer for your gun.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

So you'd silence certain devs to keep the bad guys from silencing certain devs? :p

I don't know what that group even is honestly, but if I were a FemFrequency type person I'd probably do my best to ignore and keep the Postal devs out of the picture given that they made a game where win, and the cutscene implies your main character shoots and kills his nagging wife.

Personally I find the game hilarious if in that "horrific taste" sense

So you'd silence certain devs to keep the bad guys from silencing certain devs? :p

I don't know what that group even is honestly, but if I were a FemFrequency type person I'd probably do my best to ignore and keep the Postal devs out of the picture given that they made a game where win, and the cutscene implies your main character shoots and kills his nagging wife.

Personally I find the game hilarious if in that "horrific taste" sense

EDIT: Got them confused with someone else.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

https://archive.is/WvKG0

Perhaps games, design and gamers aren't so special after all, and need to be studied more as hostile objects resulting from a hostile culture, than as the labour of love it has been to so many of us.

lol, what a dumbass.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Perhaps games, design and gamers aren't so special after all, and need to be studied more as hostile objects resulting from a hostile culture, than as the labour of love it has been to so many of us.

lol, what a dumbass.

All I got from that article is an overriding sense of "Ha ha ha! I have a PHD and am an ACADEMIC! HA ha ha!"

Well, Gamergate sure gave people something to blog about, that's one plus.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm gonna get a Ph.D in blogophony. Then i can blog about bloggers that blog. That's so meta.

Haters better donate to my patreon ASAP.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

lol, what a dumbass.

All I got from that article is an overriding sense of "Ha ha ha! I have a PHD and am an ACADEMIC! HA ha ha!"

What I got from it is that twitter is a piss-poor platform for serious discussion - if anyone wanted that and honestly with all the twitterage that goes with every. single. event. that. happens. ever. its pretty damn clear that the majority of people posting on twitter aren't interested in a serious discussion.

• Like 5

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

What I got from it is that twitter is a piss-poor platform for serious discussion - if anyone wanted that and honestly with all the twitterage that goes with every. single. event. that. happens. ever. its pretty damn clear that the majority of people posting on twitter aren't interested in a serious discussion.

Is also a bad place for proper flaming too, just ends in boring sarcasm. But it is a very handy platform for figuring out why a road is closed, what left all that blood or what that smoke in the distance is, in my experience.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Is also a bad place for proper flaming too, just ends in boring sarcasm. But it is a very handy platform for figuring out why a road is closed, what left all that blood or what that smoke in the distance is, in my experience.

I use it to find out why my train is 10 min late.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

People like Bruce have frequently accused GamerGate of not having a self-consistent idea of what it is all about - is it attacking games journalism for Indie nepotism, or for corporate bribery, or for feminism, or what? The movement can look like a mess of orthogonal agendas and pet peeves from the outside, so that is a fair criticism.

I think there's a good case to be made though, that all those things which GG has been (and is) up in arms against are symptoms of the same core issue, which is the unprofessionalism and moral deficiency that has taken a hold on gaming journalism and gaming research. For lack of a better phrase, GG'ers have variously referred to this as "corruption" (a word which, mind you, does not exclusively have monetary connotations) or "lack of ethics".

Here's a recent twitter statement from some GG'er explaining how it all fits together. It sounds pretty reasonable to me, and - I believe - indirectly covers all targets of GG criticism (from the problems with how several journalist+dev relationships were handled, to the patronising ideological lecturing that came with the rise of academic-feminist entryism into gaming):

JGLrge4.png

To any anti-GG people reading this thread: If all of GG sincerely stood behind Robin's statement, would you still oppose them? Do you disregard the ideas at the heart of this statement as a matter of principle, or is it just that you reject the particular group of people promoting those ideas and/or doubt their sincerity?

Edited by Ineth
  • Like 1

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

JGLrge4.png

To any anti-GG people reading this thread: If all of GG sincerely stood behind Robin's statement, would you still oppose them? Do you disregard the ideas at the heart of this statement as a matter of principle, or is it just that you reject the particular group of people promoting those ideas and/or doubt their sincerity?

I disregard the ideas at the heart of this series of tweets as a matter of common sense, not principle.

Anybody who thinks gaming journalism's biggest problems are feminist infiltration and indie devs stealing exposure with their devil vaginas is ****ing stupid. So is, for that matter, anybody who seriously believes people depend on gaming journalism to "grasp a very large and confusing industry".

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

L0L SJW to the end. Why do you support a mvement that harasses, threatens, and bullies women? That's what SJWs and feminism is all about. Why do you think so little of women?

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

L0L SJW to the end. Why do you support a mvement that harasses, threatens, and bullies women? That's what SJWs and feminism is all about. Why do you think so little of women?

Nah they're about bullying anyone that disagrees. Twitter makes an excellent hug box :)

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

I disregard the ideas at the heart of this series of tweets as a matter of common sense, not principle.

Anybody who thinks gaming journalism's biggest problems are feminist infiltration and indie devs stealing exposure with their devil vaginas is ****ing stupid. So is, for that matter, anybody who seriously believes people depend on gaming journalism to "grasp a very large and confusing industry".

I'm pretty certain that those two issues you mentioned stem from a lack of objectivity and a bad corporate culture, you know a lack of ethics.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

The SJWs, with the emphasis on "Warriors", are a symptom of a greater problem: Post-modern thinking, where no higher principle exist, but rather the compartmentalizing of the human experience into structures, which can be changed and reshaped through power. Morality is relative and reason is denied by emotion, which are the tools used to shape these structures.

Those with the insight know this and indirectly embellish and promote these useful idiots through funding in academia, arrangment of workshops and financing of various think tanks. 

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy