Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

For the uninitiated: The 'Gamergate' controversy was sparked in early 2013, as the release of Zoe Quinn's "Depression Quest" was criticized from gamers who believed that the game had received a suspicious amount of attention in relation to it's quality and scope. Eron Gjoni (Zoe's ex boyfriend) wrote a blogpost accusing Quinn of having had an affair with Kotaku journalist Grayson, prompting the critics to conclude that the attention and success of "Depression Quest" was due in part to unfair bias and nepotism in the industry.

Several articles from both sides of the issue has highlighted inconsistencies in the stories of both Grayson, Quinn and Eron as well as the many other examples that have followed.

Gamergate is wideley seen in the public, as a culture war over the diversification of gaming, artistic recognition and social criticism of video games and the gamer social identity.

For the posters in this thread:

Many bloggers and populists have tried to steer the discussion into areas they feel are the underlying issue - ranging from simple bias, to widespread misogny or misandry. I would however prefer that we keep this discussion as objective and clean as possible and so I will be keeping an a extra close eye on this thread. This certainly does not mean that you may not discuss any issue you feel, but rather that you should be thoughtful of  how  you discuss it with those you disagree with.

Especially in regards to these three guidelines:

Discrimination: Obsidian has a zero-tolerance policy with regard to racial, ethnic, gender, religious, disablement, and/or sexually discriminating remarks.

Harassment: We ask that the users of this board treat one another with respect, even when opinions differ. Personal attacks that are intended to cause unwanted attention, embarrassment, or harm will not be tolerated. In addition, Obsidian does not tolerate disrespectful and/or slanderous posts about its competitors, developers and publishers. Such posts will be subject to editing or deleting, with its posters censured or banned.

Objectionable Content: The use of abusive, vulgar or profane language, even if hidden through the use of symbols or other characters is not tolerated. Intentionally posting workarounds to our language filters are prohibited. Posts may be edited or deleted at any time by the moderation team, and depending on the severity and frequency of said posts, the poster may be censured or banned.

Any posts in violation of the Forum Guidelines will either be removed or modified and authors of such posts will receive warnings and/or have their content placed under moderated review.

PLEASE CHECK YOUR IMAGES FOR PROFANITY. IF THE IMAGE CONTAINS UNCENSORED PROFANITY THAT THE BOARD WOULD NORMALLY CENSOR, WE WILL REMOVE YOUR ENTIRE POST.

"Remember not all SJW have the same objectives or motives. SJ is a varied movement that does mean different things to some people so we wouldn't all agree on criticisms"

Remember not all gamers of GG have the same objectives or motives. Gamers of GG is a varied movement that does mean different things to some people so we wouldn't all agree on criticisms of all things.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Remember not all SJW have the same objectives or motives. SJ is a varied movement that does mean different things to some people so we wouldn't all agree on criticisms"

Remember not all gamers of GG have the same objectives or motives. Gamers of GG is a varied movement that does mean different things to some people so we wouldn't all agree on criticisms of all things.

Yes I agree on that point and recognize it, of course not everyone who supports GG has the same objectives...some people are more extreme than others 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"Nope"

You calling Bruce a liar? He proudly proclaims to his SJWness. WHO ARE YOU TO SPEAK ON HIS BEHALF FOR WHAT GROUP HE IS A PART OF!?!

He calls himself a SJW. Are you mansplaining on his behalf?

For a guy who goes on how he's a 'nice guy' you sure like calling others liars.

Bruce is a self admitted SJW. Your opinion on the matter means SQUAT as it doesn't change that fact.

Edited by Volourn

Dude! r00fles

Meh, if a gater is a self proclaimed title then I see no reason why sjw can't be either. It's not like there's a proscriptive taxonomic system* for various types of social activism. And in any case, Tale self identified as a skellington as well in the Twitcher thread.

*would be something like iustitia bellator communalis var piscatorius ad infinitum for Bruce, if there were.

• Like 1

The best label for Bruce is "troll". Specifically an oby type that pretends to be a stereotypical liberal instead of a Russian. You should just ignore the bait.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

The best label for Bruce is "troll".

But if you say it in Latin it sounds 92% more authoritative, even if it's doggerel Latin you barely remember from a decade+ ago with at least one obvious mistake even I've picked up on belatedly- along with the realisation that using retiarius (the gladiator type with the net) would have saved half the words.

I just wish the arguments with him were a little less repetitive and a bit more constructive.

Honestly I think Bruce is a stand up guy in most of the other threads around here.  He's got a positive attitude and he is always looking to cheer people on.  It's like he's been cast as a villain here because there aren't any better candidates, and he's just rolled with it.  :p 

• Like 2

"It's like he's been cast as a villain here because there aren't any better candidates, and he's just rolled with it.  tongue.png "

Kiddin' right?

But if you say it in Latin it sounds 92% more authoritative, even if it's doggerel Latin you barely remember from a decade+ ago with at least one obvious mistake even I've picked up on belatedly- along with the realisation that using retiarius (the gladiator type with the net) would have saved half the words.

I just wish the arguments with him were a little less repetitive and a bit more constructive.

Don't we all.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Honestly I think Bruce is a stand up guy in most of the other threads around here.  He's got a positive attitude and he is always looking to cheer people on.  It's like he's been cast as a villain here because there aren't any better candidates, and he's just rolled with it.   :p

I like that sentiment and there is some truth to that. I have been forced to accept certain characterizations because people go on and on about it 

For example I do care about  many SJ causes but I only started accepting the whole " SJW "  label because people kept on calling me that...so good post Hurlshot  :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

ttvThY0.png?1

From NZGamer's Wither 3 review.

CFYsgwMWYAASbFV.jpg

Or perhaps he meant face instead of navel. We can't have women showing their faces around. That's sexists after all.

Edited by kirottu
  • Like 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Off Topic, but thou shalt not hire wrong feminist advisor for your movies. There can be only one and her name is Saint Anita.

:lol:

Oh you guys live to find offensive and annoying comments from Anita...what would motivate you in a world where she didn't exist ?

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

I feel like Anita's the type of woman who's fighting for female rights in public, but has her boyfriend/husband/whoever totally dominate her in private.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I feel like Anita's the type of woman who's fighting for female rights in public, but has her boyfriend/husband/whoever totally dominate her in private.

:lol:

Maybe...but I doubt it 

John Milton