Any plans for Avellone to finish Arcanum?

Was doing some youtube surfing today and stumbled across the old Avellone Arcanum Let's Plays from 2013. I took tremendous joy in watching him suffer through Arcanum's UI and combat.

Any news as to whether he'll finish a full playthrough now that PoE has been released? OR IS OBSIDIAN OKAY WITH EMPLOYING A WELCHER?

• Like 2

So people are saying we have to call him Welcher Avellone from now on then?

• Like 2

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

It was an actual promise.  It was a backer goal. From the 4.0 million stretch goal:

OK! After much team deliberation we have one final ultimate stretch goal. At $4.0m we will be enhancing the whole game. We will use live instrumentation for the soundtrack, add developer in-game commentary, and use every dollar between $3.5m and $4m to enhance the game. Also at $4.0m Chris Avellone will be forced to play Arcanum.

I guess after reading that, it DOESN'T say he would have to complete it.  I just feel like he really wasn't honestly playing or interested in playing, and he agreed to do it.

I still prefer Arcanum to POE.  Honestly, watching his playing just irritated me, because he was clearly just messing around, and trying to make a joke out of it, rather than actually trying to learn how to play the game and enjoy it for it's strengths.  That seems odd to me, because it is just disrespectful.  You would think as a game designer and writer, he would have a mature approach to it.  Especially as another POE contributor, Tim Cain, was essentially responsible for the game (forgot the other key developer).  It's like if you found out your friend had built a hot-rod in his garage, and was given an opportunity to drive it, and then basically just trashed it.  Not cool.

Edited by Michael_Galt

"1 is 1"

Thumbs up for the Hot-rod comparison, it was very Texas of you. :D He did honor the kickstarter promise, but honestly it didn't feel like he enjoyed it a whole lot. And if there is one thing that is more waste of time than watching other people play games, it's watching people play games they don't enjoy. Hopefully he will be in the mood if he plays on. 
I would rather that he uses his work time on PoE, TToN, or what else he is currently busy with instead. 

Edited by TheisEjsing

Arcanum was in many ways like fallout. I cannot imagine a better game to be compared to. It was a very fun, well written game.

Chris made a lady and ran out into the wasteland and got eaten by wolves. Of course that might not have been fun but he brought it on himself with those odd choices.

I had no desire to watch him play it, truly.  I wanted to hear his educated opinion on it, after having completed it (which frankly, isn't that hard if you try even a little bit).  Instead, I skimmed a couple of clips to watch him just acting like some fool that had never played an RPG in his life, that clearly hadn't read any part of the manual, and was really, just belittling the game and making it seem like it was the worst thing ever.  I have always liked his games, so it came as a surprise to me that he had never even played Arcanum.  It came as a further surprise to me, that when he finally did get around to doing it, literally being PAID to do so, that he treated that so poorly.  I honestly lost a lot of respect for him, after those videos.  Not everyone is going to enjoy it, but he really did it a disservice, I feel.

"1 is 1"