Council of Stars & Burial Isle

After completing all the four tasks given by the Council of Stars, praying to the gods and listening to their requests, I went to Burial Isle without receiving a god's blessing. There, I moved through visions and souls until I got to the grotto, where I finished Hiravias' sidequest. Before going back to the Council of Stars, I decided to see if it was possible to jump in the pit. To my surprise, not only it was possible to jump, but my group survived the fall.

Since I don't want to break an oath to a god and I still to hear Thaos' side of the story, I would like to know if it's really possible to jump in the pit without "choosing a side" or if the game automatically picks one for me based on the last god that I prayed to.

In other words: Let's say that Berath was the last god that I prayed to, but I didn't receive his blessing. Berath asks me to release the souls harvested by the Leaden Key, while Rymrgand asks me to destroy them. If I have the option to destroy the souls and I chose to do it, does the game count that as a betrayal to Berath?

If you decide to answer, please keep any spoilers to a minimum. Thanks for your attention.

• Like 1

All you actually have to do to get the god to help you survive the fall is to do their quest, the swearing to them is a separate matter and is done to get an extra boon from them in addition to the help with the fall in return for agreeing to solve the situation their way.  It's probably not as clear as it could be, I wasn't entirely sure when I did the same and avoided swearing to any of them when I jumped in the hole, but then given the nature of the gods it was possibly intended.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

On a completely unrelated sidenote, Burial Isle was one of my favorite place to explore, too bad it was tiny when compared to IWD's Burial Isle...

Boy, I wonder why they looked so similar and have the exact same name, hmmmmm... The appearance of those banshees is almost uncanny, as well!

Edited by Kenji

*throws smoke bombs in the thread and vanishes into the dark corners of the forums*

• 2 weeks later...

You've probably already finished the game by now, but just in case...

Yes, you can survive the fall without pledging to aid one of the gods. Doing their quest lets you survive the fall, agreeing to solve the souls issue their way is what pledges you to them. I did it the same as you, avoided pledging to any of them because I wanted to keep my options open.

IIRC, if you jump into the pit without pledging to a god, you can actually pledge to Woedica before the game is over.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

IIRC, if you jump into the pit without pledging to a god, you can actually pledge to Woedica before the game is over.

At what point? You need to get their blessing to jump down but I got to choose Woedica only after defeating Thaos even without a pledge

6ej155.jpg

At what point? You need to get their blessing to jump down but I got to choose Woedica only after defeating Thaos even without a pledge

That's what he meant. There's no pledge that gives you stat bonuses, it's just another option for how to resolve the game. Depending on your actions earlier in the game, you may also get an offer from

Wael.

What do you need to do to get that offer?

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus