Hello

im quite new to this game but i would like to complete game on hard difficulty with quite small party 2-3 characters but mu concern was about party composition. I was thinking about melee mage (like the idea of such build) druid/priest (didnt really make decision with one) and one tank but i dont really have any idea how to build them and what class would be good for tank in such party. I would be gratefull for any suggestions and possible builds that would be fun and effective. I was looking at melee mage build posted earlier here but i dont know if this build is really good.

My suggestion would be cipher as melee mage, since as soon as you have retaliation, getting hit means having infinite spells, also cipher has high base deflection. Druid will propably be better than priest in a small party, since he can transform if attacked. If all your chars are near to each kther most time, pally blocker is best because of aura, also pally shield buffs sabes for the whole group.

Druid makes a pretty interesting melee mage because of two storm spells which will regularly strike nearby enemies while you plug away with your weapon (even with a pike from behind a tank). Works really well for kiting also, which you might need to do if you've only got a 3-man party.

Im sure to have melee wizard as i read in this patch its quite strong (not sure about weapon choices here 2h or 2W) , about rest im not sure if Monk/barb would be good as tank/frontliner.

They are strong, but not if you're “quite new to this game“ (quote from your first post ;)) since you start with limited spells and you can only use those effectively if you know beforehand what kinda enemies you will face.

i learned by trying out on the Bear Cave, which kicked my butt when i 1st tried it, later went back with party of 6 and won. party earned 1040 XP.

i figured id try repeating the Bear with just 2.. main and the wizard, bc they both needed 500xp to level up... we won, and the game ponied up even fewer XP (340) but each of the 2 didnt even split the 340 in 1/2.

they both ended up with fewer XP gained, than each of the 6 when i had the full party in it.

so, U wanna be gung-ho with a tiny party, bc u likes the challenge?   go for it... but u still wont level up any faster ...

not from what i saw

Yes its probably thats why i like smaller party and i know im not as good to try solo but with party of 3 it would be ok. As I said melee wizard + 2 other. But what would be proper build and weapon choice for that melee wizard?  For second and third character i was thinking about something tanky that could hold the line like chanter or paladin (maybe monk?) and than something like priest/druid that can dish some dmg but have support spelss to. anyone could propose some builds, i would be gratefull

I'd say tanky chanter is pretty nice for a small party, which might seems wierd as more people = mor fomr chants, but your fights are probably longer with less chars and the chanter is rather easy to make very tanky without taking too much out of its core abilities.

i learned by trying out on the Bear Cave, which kicked my butt when i 1st tried it, later went back with party of 6 and won. party earned 1040 XP.

i figured id try repeating the Bear with just 2.. main and the wizard, bc they both needed 500xp to level up... we won, and the game ponied up even fewer XP (340) but each of the 2 didnt even split the 340 in 1/2.

they both ended up with fewer XP gained, than each of the 6 when i had the full party in it.

so, U wanna be gung-ho with a tiny party, bc u likes the challenge?   go for it... but u still wont level up any faster ...

not from what i saw

its 10% more xp per open slot so a 3 man party is 30% more xp, however the xp display does some kind of multiplication by followers so it can be misleading.  Try disarming the traps in Cilant Lis alone and then with full party and it will tell you radically different xp numbers in the log

@OP

I made a 3 man party (or rather chicks, lol) myself now and will be uploading videos of relevant battles. If you're interested, I will open another thread with a link in about an hour, where I fight Raedric. Party consists of PC Paladina level 5, level 4 fighter and cipher.