Bard's Tale 4

In any case, looks like backers will get the original trilogy, thanks to those fine upstanding fellows at EA coming to the party. So that's four free games for early backers.

Not to mention the originals actually getting an overhaul to run a little better on modern PCs. Not sure I'd call EA fine, upstanding fellows though, even with their agreement to let backers have them for free. I guess inXile will pay for the overhaul and EA gets to sell them through Origin later on. ;)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I'm glad the original trilogy is getting overhauled.  They work through an emulator now and the version they ship with no longer works on Linux.  While it's possible to compile a new version of the emulator to get the games to work, it will be nice to just be able to install them and play them without having to jump through hoops.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Wasn't the original bts part of the wasteland kickstarter? I got them and wasteland already...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Wasn't the original bts part of the wasteland kickstarter? I got them and wasteland already...

Yes, but those use an Apple emulator.  They work fine for some people, for others, not so much.  Hopefully this means that whoever has those games already but doesn't buy TBT4 still gets the reworked versions as a free upgrade.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yes, but those use an Apple emulator.  They work fine for some people, for others, not so much.  Hopefully this means that whoever has those games already but doesn't buy TBT4 still gets the reworked versions as a free upgrade.

Ah, that makes sense.  I knew something was weird with them (but haven't really tried to play them yet).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I never actually played Dragon Wars.  I played the entire Bard's Tale Trilogy, but never Dragon Wars.  My friend had Dragon Wars on his Apple IIgs and I watched him play a little of it, but I never got to play it myself (I had a Tandy 1000, so I couldn't just borrow the game from him).  I might scoop it up and give it a go.

Edit:  Dat dank Boris Vallejo box art tho

966135666-00.jpg

I demand Boris Vallejo or Julie Bell box art for The Bard's Tale 4.

Is the objective of the game to find your clothes?

1aw3tiY.png

I never actually played Dragon Wars.  I played the entire Bard's Tale Trilogy, but never Dragon Wars.  My friend had Dragon Wars on his Apple IIgs and I watched him play a little of it, but I never got to play it myself (I had a Tandy 1000, so I couldn't just borrow the game from him).  I might scoop it up and give it a go.

Edit:  Dat dank Boris Vallejo box art tho

966135666-00.jpg

I demand Boris Vallejo or Julie Bell box art for The Bard's Tale 4.

Is the objective of the game to find your clothes?

Nah, it is to create own Conan or she-Conan

An excerpt from the latest update:

That’s only half the fun! As you rack up achievement points, we’re unlocking rewards at every 4 points (represented as rooms in the dungeon above)! At the first 4 points: we add a physical code wheel to *all* physical tiers, including $65. Digital tiers will receive a digital representation of this code wheel. The code wheel will not be required to play the game, but using it will unlock additional lore and flavor throughout The Bard’s Tale IV world.

22cd84acfe9297843aff10c4fc2ce84e_origina

Code wheel! SQUEE!

vhg.gif

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

So close, maybe an hour or two until goal time.

Kind of a weird campaign, super quick, then glacier slow. 

Well, it is successfully funded by now so all is well for now, though it certainly did take longer than I thought it would.

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who never played the originals I get a bit of a M&M X: Legacy (should really finish that one...) vibe from the descriptions in that video.

Not sure why he doesn't compare the viewpoint to Legend of Grimrock or M&M X which I'd assume the target audience would be familiar with (even though the gameplay of the former is decidedly different, being real time and all)

Edited by marelooke

As someone who never played the originals I get a bit of a M&M X: Legacy (should really finish that one...) vibe from the descriptions in that video.

Not sure why he doesn't compare the viewpoint to Legend of Grimrock or M&M X which I'd assume the target audience would be familiar with (even though the gameplay of the former is decidedly different, being real time and all)

Thomas Beekers did exactly that in Update 11:

For instance, to give you a better sense of the world, in exploration (the focus of our in-engine video), The Bard’s Tale IV will be reminiscent of Legend of Grimrock and other dungeon crawlers with a heavy focus on detailed and interactive environments, in-the-world puzzles, and blockades you have to pass. But, similar to the original Bard’s Tale series, we are designing our levels in a non-linear fashion so you might not always be able to pass an obstacle as soon as you come across it. We love the sense of discovery and challenge this provides.

In combat, The Bard’s Tale IV will have a similar feel to first-person phase-based combat games going all the way back to The Bard’s Tale I all the way up to Might & Magic X – Legacy. While we can draw a connection to the combat of those games, we’re going to heavily improve on many aspects of that style of combat system. One example of this is by decoupling the animations from the inputs. Once you’ve learned your characters, it will allow you to play at a quicker pace, without having to wait for the same 5 second fireball animation to finish before you can make your next move. We’ll have more to say on combat in future updates.
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Right, so is there an Avellone contribution a stretch goal again? I mean, the silhouette they're teasing... ;)

Chris "The Stretch Goal" Avellone sighting confirmed!

0fe0fce18f6304d51265f9489c8c47d9_origina

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Somehow I doubt that the Bard's Tale IV kickstarter will actually end up with 1.9 million in pledges. I hope I'm wrong because I really want that super-awesome MCA horror dungeon. :)

• Like 1

Squeeeee!! woot.gif

Though...

"an all new dungeon built from the worst things that live in the imagination of Chris Avellone"

also kinda scares me... :o

EDIT: Colin coming aboard is also way cool, of course ;)

Edited by marelooke

MCA really is a full time human Kickstarter Stretch Goal...as if it was ever really in doubt.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Mc Comb :D I like the way he thinks, and most of all what resulted from it - want to see more of his work on PC, so gogogo Kickstarter :)

[edit]Also: Matt Chat :) 

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

• 2 weeks later...

MCA really is a full time human Kickstarter Stretch Goal...as if it was ever really in doubt.

Won't be full time if that stretch goal is not met. Sure hope money starts pouring in, maybe due to some last minute press coverage? Got awefully little of it so far :/

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority