Bard's Tale 4

I didn't find the video awful, but there's precious little about how the game would actually play, IMO.  I want to pledge, but can't decide on a tier without more information.

I think it is pretty safe to assume it will be Wasteland II with swords. No way this will be a first person game...IMO anyway. But it is InXile so I am pledging no matter what.

A lot of this will become more clear when we show our prototype footage later, but no, this game's exploration is in first-person blobber mode.

I'm looking forward to seeing the video.  Hopefully some of the combat will be shown in the video, because I have to admit that I'm confused about how phase-based combat will work even after reading the description on the Kickstarter page.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

One has to wonder whether the hype around Fallout 4 will impact the Kickstarter, positively or negatively? Might be worth mentioning that Mr Fargo published the original, sparked the franchise and hype its inspiration in Wasteland 2.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I didn't find the video awful, but there's precious little about how the game would actually play, IMO.  I want to pledge, but can't decide on a tier without more information.

I think it is pretty safe to assume it will be Wasteland II with swords. No way this will be a first person game...IMO anyway. But it is InXile so I am pledging no matter what.

A lot of this will become more clear when we show our prototype footage later, but no, this game's exploration is in first-person blobber mode.

Looking forward to it!

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Really? Wild. Since Wasteland II looked so much like The Bard's Tale back in the day I just figured their modern versions would also be similar.

Eh it doesn't matter either way to me.

Did the third Bard's Tale game go isometric? I can't remember the first and second ever being anything but first person, though I may be misremembering.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Did the third Bard's Tale game go isometric? I can't remember the first and second ever being anything but first person, though I may be misremembering.

Nope they all had the same engine. The third one just had a few tweaks like being able to save your game and the automap feature.

How many millions had PoE after two days?

About 1.2 million.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/#chart-daily

Torment was in about 2 million after two days

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/#chart-daily

Wasteland 2 was bit shy from 900k after two days

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/#chart-daily

Bard's Tale 4's tracker

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/inxile/the-bards-tale-iv/#chart-daily

EDIT: Numbers aren't fully accurate because of fact that kicktraq don't use kickstarter clock for the days but their local time, meaning that fist day is not usually full 24 hours in the chart.

Edited by Elerond

I think BTIV will end up with a larger budget than TTON or POE just because of InXile's matching the 1.25 million dollar initial goal.

But we will see. I will be interested in the stretch goals and learning more about the nuts and bolts of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVB6dSckvJI

I wish they had shown some combat, since I'm still confused about how their phase-based combat will work.  That said, I think it looks lovely.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVB6dSckvJI

I wish they had shown some combat, since I'm still confused about how their phase-based combat will work.  That said, I think it looks lovely.

They didn't actually showed any gameplay. It was just video made with UE4. Most that you can take from video is what kind thematic feel and what kind look they aim and how UE4 has very pretty easy to use effects. 

This is sooo backed :D

I think BTIV will end up with a larger budget than TTON or POE just because of InXile's matching the 1.25 million dollar initial goal.

I don't think so. It was a somewhat slow start in comparison, and, as far as I remember, InXile (or Fargo personally) matched the Backer's money with their own for WL 2 and Torment. I really hope it paid off (in case of WL 2) / will pay off (TToN) with a lot of interest :)

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Nope they all had the same engine. The third one just had a few tweaks like being able to save your game and the automap feature.

I remember reading somewhere that much of the code was actually re-written for Bard's Tale III after Cranford left. Given how widely ported the games were it's also perhaps hard to even say they had a consistent game engine.

Edited by sea

I am sad to say this, but the game looks like **** this far. All we've been shown is a shiny in-engine video in UE, not featuring any gameplay. I'll pass on this until I've been proven wrong.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I am sad to say this, but the game looks like **** this far. All we've been shown is a shiny in-engine video in UE, not featuring any gameplay. I'll pass on this until I've been proven wrong.

I guess I missed all the gameplay videos from the Torment, Wasteland, and Pillars KS. What has InXile done on Wasteland 2 or Torment so far to justify this conclusion and what would suffice to prove you wrong if that doesn't? Seems highly unfair to me.

Edited by Valmy

I guess I missed all the gameplay videos from the Torment, Wasteland, and Pillars KS. What has InXile done on Wasteland 2 or Torment so far to justify this conclusion and what would suffice to prove you wrong if that doesn't? Seems highly unfair to me.

This far it's just showing off graphics, with seemingly a much looser connection to the original game. Torment, Wasteland 2 and PoE all had a very clear selling premise. This doesn't. Again, if this looks to be good I will be happy to pledge afterwards.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Creator inXile entertainment 13 minutes ago
Hey all,

Thanks for all your comments! It’s been a bit rough after our video on Thursday. Brian’s best friend and mentor passed away recently, and he and some of the team attended his funeral on Friday. One of our other leads fell sick late during the week as well, but now we're up and back in action. 

We’ve been keeping an eye on all your feedback, and listening regarding topics you'd want to hear more on. The video was received extremely positively, but it also raised some questions for some of you. Brian is planning to put out an update on Monday, and will be going into more detail on the video and the game itself.

And you can help us: Leave a comment letting us know what points you'd most like to address, and we’ll get to as many of them as we can! 

Thanks, 
Thomas Beekers 
inXile Associate Producer

Edited by Jaesun
  • Like 1

This seems to be going slower than their other projects, not sure why that is.

I'll probably end up backing when I get paid this Friday.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Bard's Tale is a bit of an odd sell. Wasteland and Torment could piggyback on Fallout and PST which appeal strongly to the kickstarter demographic, the later Bard's Tale games were somewhat underwhelming. Essentially, you hear lots of people who want a new Fallout or PST game, not so many who want a new BT. Plus, kickstarter fatigue looks to have finally, uh, kicked in for a 'high profile' title.

In any case, looks like backers will get the original trilogy, thanks to those fine upstanding fellows at EA coming to the party. So that's four free games for early backers.