Bard's Tale 4

Backed.

Cary Elwes stretch goal?

It does kind of resemble that game with the Gaels culture stuff. That kind of thing was almost entirely absent from the original trilogy that I recall.

This is the first Kickstarter I've backed. Part of it is nostalgia, but part of it is also a slight guilt for me not backing Wasteland 2 when that was going.

Will be fun to follow though. I've loved all the Bard's Tale games so far. Yes, even the newer, humorous one.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I jumped on the $20 Early Bard Gets the Wyrm tier myself.  I kinda almost feel like I should pledge more, considering I pledged the bare minimum for Wasteland 2 (I don't remember how much it was, $15 or $20 I think) and got a game that I felt was worth several times what I paid, but there's nothing at the higher tiers I want, save for the cloth map, and I'm not willing to go up to $95.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Also, I love the 30$ Tier. It's just plain epic and had me laughing hard. :biggrin:

That's funny. I missed this while skimming through the rewards!

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I'll be backing this once pay pal is allowed 9after it reaches the goal which it probably will). After the awesomesauce of WL2 which I didn't  back I'm gonna reward them for their good work plus with playable dwarves it will be HELLA fun.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Unreal 4 ... probably should upgrade the 7850 by the time this comes out. 

Please, no more super fantastic Kickstarters, people, I need to eat, too. 

I'm wondering why they're going with UE4 instead of Unity like the previous kickstarted games.

Not sure if I'll be backing this as I have no experience with any of the Bard's Tale games.

Edited by Syraxis

Backed as well. InXile/ Fargo sure know how to run a kickstarter campaign, every game company thinking of running a campaign should take notes.

(I am also now officially amused by how many potential extra keys for games I already own I could/ do have)

Unreal 4 ... probably should upgrade the 7850 by the time this comes out. 

Please, no more super fantastic Kickstarters, people, I need to eat, too. 

I'm wondering why they're going with UE4 instead of Unity like the previous kickstarted games.

Not sure if I'll be backing this as I have no experience with any of the Bard's Tale games.

Back during the previous Kickstarters, Unity was realistically the only option due to its licencing costs being far, far lower than any of the alternatives. However in the last year, cuts in the pricing for both Unreal Engine and CryEngine means costs are now broadly equivalent regardless of which option you take, and so the choice can be made on the basis of technology and not on which happens to be cheapest.

Anyway, backed at minimum for now, not sure if I'll up it before the campaign is done as it's not my style of RPG (indeed it's pretty much the complete opposite), no matter how physically enticing the boxed copies are.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Am I the only one who thought that the video was kind of awful?  Why did they waste 3 minutes of my time with that ridiculous kid character, just to repeat the dumb "don't you hate modern games marketing?" joke that they slapped onto the Wasteland menu screen?

I expect that I'll eventually kick in enough to get a copy when it comes out, which is pretty much what I did for Torment.  My confidence that Inxile will produce a playable game is higher, post-Wasteland, but the weaknesses in that game's systems design are preventing me from getting too excited.  I enjoyed M&M X for what it was worth, so if this matches that, I'll be happy to play it. 

(For the record, I played a bit of at least one of the BT games back in the day, but I didn't own any of them.)

Edited by Enoch

Will skip this after Torment's disapointment

You're disappointed in a game nobody (outside of InXile themselves) has even played yet?  Are you from the future?

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 4

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Wondering if this will have the legs to overtake Torment in amount of cash Kickstarted.

Obviously the Over/Under is $4,188,928.

I'm taking the Under.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I doubt they will top their own numbers with Torment, but it will still do quite well.  I'm guessing around 3.5 million.  I'm looking forward to the 3 minute prototype video they're going to show soon.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Am I the only one who thought that the video was kind of awful?  Why did they waste 3 minutes of my time with that ridiculous kid character, just to repeat the dumb "don't you hate modern games marketing?" joke that they slapped onto the Wasteland menu screen?

I expect that I'll eventually kick in enough to get a copy when it comes out, which is pretty much what I did for Torment.  My confidence that Inxile will produce a playable game is higher, post-Wasteland, but the weaknesses in that game's systems design are preventing me from getting too excited.  I enjoyed M&M X for what it was worth, so if this matches that, I'll be happy to play it. 

(For the record, I played a bit of at least one of the BT games back in the day, but I didn't own any of them.)

I didn't find the video awful, but there's precious little about how the game would actually play, IMO.  I want to pledge, but can't decide on a tier without more information.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I pitched in $20 as Grimrock with a decent plot appeals to me.  I can't justify a higher tier as I'm not really feeling the revolutionary fervour any more, kinda done my bit, also no more room in my cupboard for huge boxes  :disguise:

I was never a great fan of the Bard's Tale after the second game, and so i'm afraid that Mr Fargo will need to win me over here. Though kudos to the gentleman for travelling to the mainland on Orkney and filming at Skara Brae, it's a little raw up there. I'm also glad to see the design incorporating parts of Scottish culture, a deep and interesting well to draw from. Especially if it meanders over to Ulster where the Scots came from, though I think the opposite might well be the case and the recognised influence of the Norse might be referenced.

Addendum: In my first post on this thread I mistakenly titled Mr Heineman, I understand that the individual underwent a sex change and is now Ms Rebecca Heineman. I must apologise, I realise that the likelihood of her reading this is small but still I thought the clarification warranted.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I didn't find the video awful, but there's precious little about how the game would actually play, IMO.  I want to pledge, but can't decide on a tier without more information.

I think it is pretty safe to assume it will be Wasteland II with swords. No way this will be a first person game...IMO anyway. But it is InXile so I am pledging no matter what.

I'm also glad to see the design incorporating parts of Scottish culture, a deep and interesting well to draw from. Especially if it meanders over to Ulster where the Scots came from, though I think the opposite might well be the case and the recognised influence of the Norse might be referenced.

It seems more Gaels and less Scots so the Norse influence should be profound. Granted Skara Brae does not have alot to do with any of those cultures beyond being located in the same place.

Edited by Valmy

I'm also wondering with the focus on Skara Brae whether the other notable sites on that parallel might be utilised, Maeshowe and Brodgar, as well as maybe the inclusion of Pictish elements, what little is known of them. Most probably not though.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I think it is pretty safe to assume it will be Wasteland II with swords. No way this will be a first person game...IMO anyway. But it is InXile so I am pledging no matter what.

Confirmation would be nice - if not for convincing me to pledge, then to head off the "Oh a better Grimrock/MMX game, I'll pledge" brigade from their disappointment if it turns out to be isometric.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

A lot of this will become more clear when we show our prototype footage later, but no, this game's exploration is in first-person blobber mode.

inXile line producer